Dev reminder: Choose your fonts wisely! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: be vewy vewy qwiet. Wewe hunting wanu.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-06, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
MCYRook
Staff Sergeant

Dev reminder: Choose your fonts wisely!

Creating and/or choosing the right fonts for your game (or movie, or website, or whatever else uses text) is a science and an art in and of itself, and I'm sure the devs are paying due attention to it.

Here's a friendly reminder from a purely practical standpoint: Please don't repeat the PS1 mistake, and make sure that all characters are clearly distinguishable.

Remember names like this, used by griefing cheaters?
IIlllIllIlllIl

Capital "i" and lower-case "L" looked identical in PS1. Good luck using the report function on that guy. It also made it so there could be several characters who looked like they had the exact same name, although they didn't.

Similar issues might arise with "o", "0", "O".

Just keep it mind, please.Thanks.
Old 2012-07-06, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
exoteror
Corporal

Re: Dev reminder: Choose your fonts wisely!

Specifically for griefing charcters, the ability to right click the name and report is an important feature. The person then does not have to type the account name eliminating that problem.
Old 2012-07-06, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I thought this was going to be a thread speaking out against Helvetica and Comic Sans.
Old 2012-07-06, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

Great point raised Rook! Deciging bar-code hackers was always annoying.

Did they fix this issue in newer SOE games like DCUO?
Old 2012-07-06, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

I hope they go a step further, and allow us to click names in chat to open up a list of commands, or at least just copy the name. That was the best feature in WoW
Old 2012-07-06, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Zapalot
Private

just dont use comic sans
Old 2012-07-06, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

Even comic sans is better than the barcode.
Old 2012-07-06, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Jomo
Corporal

Comic Sans in bright pink plz.

In all seriousness, just add in the ability to copy names or right click on names to report as others have mentioned. Still select your font wisely, but it eliminates that painful barcode nonsense.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-07-06, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Originally Posted by RedKnights View Post
Great point raised Rook! Deciging bar-code hackers was always annoying.

Did they fix this issue in newer SOE games like DCUO?
This is not as much of a problem in DCUO. Also keep in mind folks that our cheat detection is significantly more improved in our current games. No I'm not going to say it's unhackable and perfect but I can say we will notice it and take action.
Old 2012-07-06, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
This is not as much of a problem in DCUO. Also keep in mind folks that our cheat detection is significantly more improved in our current games. No I'm not going to say it's unhackable and perfect but I can say we will notice it and take action.
Absolutely great to hear. But I reserve the right to be cynical and apprehensive on the matter.

It was not just the barcode thing, especially because eventually we were able to /appeal "barcode" hacker and it was taken care of. The bigger issue with the font came from hackers making names that looked like real, known players just using the I l thing so then a flood of /appeals with the incorrect name against legitimate players.
Old 2012-07-06, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Xaine
Major

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
Respect to you Sir, I'm sure we all believe you.

It's just that after Planetside, a lot of us have been left with a very butter taste in ours mouths, and most of us are worried, no, terrified of the same thing happening again.
Old 2012-07-06, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Trafalgar
First Sergeant

Mmm, butter.

If there's any flaws in the naming system still, there's no reason we can't see if we can find and report them. There are other ways that haven't been mentioned here, so it'll be interesting to see if they work or if PS2's developers have locked the naming system down completely (or have been particularly clever).

I'd definitely agree with having a mechanism for Doing Stuff With Or About People without having to type their name.

Last edited by Trafalgar; 2012-07-06 at 12:25 PM.
Old 2012-07-06, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Wolfhound
Private

To me the biggest problem with PS2 won't be hackers, but griefers. Free to play means free to start a new account, log in to an alt empire and go crazy with boomers in friendly territory...
Old 2012-07-06, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
elementHTTP
Sergeant

̵̛̼̖͇̗̪̬͎͇̪̦̯̟ͦ͋ͣ̄́̈́͠͡ͅͅ Oͯ͆̓­͗­ͯ͛́͐̽͑ͯ̑͐̔̓͋̀҉̶̨̳̕� �͙̳̻̝͉̭L̊ͣ­͌̾­̌͒̓͠҉҉̢̠̝͍̕ͅ ͕̻̳̩̙̜͎̩ͅ ̅͌̄ͭ̅͛ͩ̊͐̄ͤ̋ͯ̈́͊͋ͣ͗͏̵͘͟҉̣͈ ͖̭̖̹̼­­̝̯̻̺O͋ͦͦ́̈ͣ̄̋̔̿ͥͪ͒� �̄͌ͧ͐̀҉̛̛̯͞ √เj­̵̶̸͓͛̑ͭ́͜͞­̠̙͙̣̮̣̙̠ͅ� �̰̰̞̖̮Ó̐ͬ ส็็็็็็็­ส็็็็็็็ ­ส็็็็็็็­ส็็­็็็� �็­ส็็็็็็็­ส็็็็็ ็็­ส็็็็็­็็­ส็็็� �็็็­ส็็็็็็็­ส็็็ ็็็็­­ส็็็็็็็­ส็� �็็็็็­ส็็็็็็็­ส็ ็­็็็็็­ส็็็็็็็‽� �‽¡‽¡‽¡‽¡‽¡‽¡‽¡‽¡‽¡ล� ��ตเตอรี่
█▀█▀██▀█▀█√เ̒̓̔̕̚҉̵ ̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇rjௌௌௌௌௌௌௌ� ��ௌௌௌௌௌௌௌO͋ͦͦ́̈ͣ̄̋̔̿ͥͪ͒ ̈̄͌ͧ͐̀҉̛̛̯͞ௌௌௌௌ̒̓̔̕̚҉̵̞ ̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇r ௌௌௌௌௌ ̷̸ૂ͏ ̡҉ૃ̶ ૄ̧ ̸͞ᶳ͟ ᶹ̛͟ ℳ̧͘̕ℳ͢͟ ᴽ̕͠ℕ̸͝ ̸ᶳ̶大4͜ ҉ℜ ̨͜͞ુ̴̨͠ ̧̛́ૂ ̧͠ૃ̀ ̶͟ૄ̵̡͠ ̨ ̧͜ુ̷͠ ̶̡ૂ̵̸͏ ͏ૃ̢̛ ̛͘͢ૄ √เjௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌ� ��ௌௌௌ҉̒̓̔̕̚҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟� �͇r ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
҉ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
҉ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ­̮­̼̞̹̻̼ͅo̷̧͍ͨͮ̅̀ͩ̄̓͐́͘͘͝� �͓͓L̏ͫ­̀̅­̗͉̥̪͐̾̋ͤ̿ͥ̈́ͮ̃͝͝͡ ̻̘̬͍̝̦̩͓̘̜̹­͕̭͕­̼O͂̍ͭ̌͋͛͑� �̶̢̘̺̠ͩ̓͑̾̾̓̔̽̍̋͋­͎̘̩͎­̝̮� �͖̱̹͈̜̹͎͓L̈ͭͪ̉̊ͯ̀͊ͫͮ͊ͪ̚­̂ͩ ͑̃ͦ­͘͏҉̜̬̤̭̙̙̼͎̪̜̣͞Ò̔ͪ̌̒� �ͮ̚­̸̷̸͚ͦ̾­̣̘̙͚̙͖̜͓̼̦̲͓L̓ͣ ̶̉̀̇͊̓́͜­̧̝͔̭̥̬̤­̥̲͎̺͍̘̭̞ ̝̟̳O͌̈́ͤͬ́̈̈́͐̑̿­̸̞̤̰ͯ̃͋͡­̰� �̱̮̘̙͚̝̘̦̬̤̖͎̬O͛̑̑͗͝­͈̯̻̤͝ ̯̤͙̼­̞̩̘̘L͌̋ͩ̃̆̅̍ͫͦ̄̑ͯ̓̓ͧ� �̓̔̕̚҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇r♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
҉ ♪ ♪ ♪̒̓̔̕̚҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇r ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ √เj
҉ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ √เjเ̒̓̔̕̚҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇ r�F�:P2���I R$�S[�Y�Ŗ�h� ���}~p0��p8�Pm��"_�=��� ����/N(���E1#���q�m��plc�N�� c�I��K���z�[{f8�}�!ר`���vٷ#�9�<>��s� U���bMؑ�e�e{- /8��������^lt�O��&L��� #_��]�+�l�;��l �X��+a�Z.p}�V��>;"� Q-�SB���nƭM3����X���պ!% #���T�L',�d��´�D�hP��� �f��X+�l���lk�� ��E�!]��h���uI�a�ku͝�lB�B�n矬� �u>X�sB�y]�?��*fU%�)��n���QlT_$��"� +�Ց�����Ƀ��c��͒�z�� ���_558���a/�������O��P���fA ��V�W����� j�S�Ͼ�]�G����\mN�e�p�Z�a�@��H0A� ��g*�Z��s%L��';q��<��m�� �VTK�Ҹ�^Q�毼�h`��y�XCj� ��b�*����T{�_�M'�Q��mw �r�a�K�2�o��������� A�*>�U�����y�3u�S�yv��� G���X� �� �uw�PU(j�h�zf��'��M4�U]6s����1��2p�s�� �V�T{/{�l�d]iH���ݥ4��X�[S�%��p��\�Bk�ԔK�u�Y��Bqy� ���\�Th�I/�Qs�H�ϏD3�����~���(�� ��r6Z3����e�;kҳ�r�*2���'� �;�f�Xd�Y��'�� ~ �bo�xaV���{��O�ߥ4�y�s�,� ��+T�f3d�p%rZ N�Y��=uA}���w��q58%%�E�� ����hk��2u�_���`,�`��� �֒ )�A�eQ`���<�4�q��y^1*�@�g� ��09�إ[ ߕj�D%�B����zq�&+��%��� ��R��X"�����褼0u11�B�T�� � �(6k��-���D1�+`��Y��r�x����� Њ����d��>�r(1J��9��g�i� ��B�3�Q�S��M�?/�K�7|��~I'�Ջ[ȧʽ���"9�Rs��[Ƞsh�x́��3�{U��3�1����#f7� ���/��{G,tq���"�L��=^~1����� ����5�N~�-��纴�"ڨ��|2e��XB����.AM0� ��t��> F�}�-S�r{M�'�x<��oӷ�d8~ FQ����haX�ؼɵy|M��`Y��3� �&�o� Xܸ�.�6���*Uf�Bq ��� {�n�� � �{l�3���9�ڵ�� nl;�Vz�W����P�{2��b~�� ����������0���˭�˩v� �D�����y�ve� 2������#݂v�,���'Z��=&MpA ƀ+�)��4B�3(��{և/l�&|�b\n���X�_]HYlЗ[S�{RP1���Ʊ���������� �J)��w,�n�� �-7�Dq�`���HQ����ƕ��l�v� �Zc۴\5���h�Y���QL��' �I��/S-lq�N-RT�LX�3h�'ˋ`��иO 0��g<�Z)�ށ'9#]d�*�xL_�N�kc���� ���I-Wzv>:<��eU�������(�t��V� ��W MV���a�b�rͥ� ��F��T��-q�E֛�Cq�!gI�@Ƥ4��&� �3_��ؒr3�kֈ��B�'�}�R��l �:P�,2�'o��2(vkM����F ����w�{~��ﰑ���p�F�?]�����C�S�<�C�Q����GI>� ��%���>Q�a!Ex(��i��r�Fda�� �(R�Jr��M�Jb�M�?�� �����[�<���/x�g-�]�������L}%o�u��&�e�� o�9���[ʴ%f�D��So�&�9�2ٳ-;��� ��T�׼��x��H�5>��{�UD)� ����WOmz,�(����Rt���O��� �%u$}�����\�n�z�GO :$�l{Ɠ�N���"9xqP-�#�� _�q����;�n��O2�SQϢ0��:`� �hW�� J�,,�6�����Y�1:�؃�C��Q ��g����2ƿ���2��eJ� �+%���'�7I0J��2K�f�>��� ���-h��Y� N��ą�+��� w�]Xɳ����c�Bk3F����� @�TF�5�p�&+��$���tEzL!EC9� ���U|ッ����;2�q�1���1 ҙ<[��uE��C�%�! B������e�qҷF�{�<u�/u X��Am� 0�;%����#D T[���4,��Yz7O>ʣ�_�wz���C-#�"Pfľ].��%�ys�� �7�%�< `����_#�=�>������5γ� �}��6��+�@�J�fT颮�&�e,�� ��{5�f��)�3�ށ�r�H�t;K/�Ve�� �x��� ��d�g�e<���ҀgS�����Z� ������S�ڝ/ŭM/���Gcakǚ����."܄1��RGvք� �3X侙�������=)���<1�1q-E��nny5����?/��XWA��"9��S�BA�NAx=�Ä4�zu� �R�՛�^�M�U(�:w��U_��o�� �/�Ƚ�g��5=��� �b���&'�4����Uom�cF�Q�� ��֜�x��|?��>�;%��U]��Г�9Qa$F��&@̿���Vn2�MzُJ� ��`�)
҉ ♪ ♪ ̒̓̔̕̚҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̒̓̔̕̚ ҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇rr♪ ♪ ̒̓̔̕̚҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇r♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
҉ ♪ ♪ ̒̓̔̕̚҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇r ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪

♪ ௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌௌ♪

O͋ͦͦ́̈ͣ̄̋̔̿ͥͪ͒̈̄͌ͧ͐̀҉█▀█ ▀██▀█▀█
҉ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
̷̸ૂ͏ ̡҉ૃ̶ ૄ̧ ̸͞ᶳ͟ ᶹ̛͟ ℳ̧͘̕ℳ͢͟ ᴽ̕͠ℕ̸͝ ̸ᶳ̶大4͜ ҉ℜ ̨͜͞ુ̴̨͠ ̧̛́ૂ ̧͠ૃ̀ ̶͟ૄ̵̡͠ ̨ ̧͜ુ̷͠ ̶̡ૂ̵̸͏ ͏ૃ̢̛ ̛͘͢ૄ
҉ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪
҉ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪

hehehehe

Last edited by elementHTTP; 2012-07-06 at 12:52 PM.
Old 2012-07-06, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I-l-|
o-0-O

/sign

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion