Idea for a TR shotgun - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I bet you were expecting a quote!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-14, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Maltalionis
Private

Idea for a TR shotgun

I have always loved shotguns, and thought of a way the TR could have a faction specific shotgun that would fit the TR style. My idea is to have a automatic shotgun that functions like a Saiga shotgun, in that it looks and functions almost exactly like an assault rifle, pistol grip, stock, magazine feed, but (of course) fires shotgun shells rather than rifle ammo.

I know that the NC is know for there affinity with powerful close-quarters weapons, the best know being the Jackhammer, and many would feel that it would only make scene for the NC to have faction specific shotguns. However, with a Saiga like shotgun, it would have a high fire rate (close to that of an assault rifle), and could use 20 gauge rather than 12 gauge to do less damage per shot to satisfy the TR weapon style.

To use a Battlefield 2 reference, most pump action shotguns could kill with a single shot, where as the automatic Saiga shotgun needed two shots to kill. So if balanced in a similar way, the NC would still hold to having the best damage per shot, with a slower rate of fire, and the TR would do less damage per shot, but have a higher rate of fire.

As I said before, I have always loved shotguns, and I feel that having such a shotgun for the TR would fit there style, and be balanced with the NC shotguns. Let me know what you think, or what could be better about it, but please use constructive criticism.

On a side note, a way to model this weapon (Not trying to do TRays job) is to consider that the Saiga shotgun is based on the AK-47 design, so I think I would be a good idea to base this TR shotgun on the TR Cycler design.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-14, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Idea for a TR shotgun

I like the idea of the TR having a semi-automatic shotgun with less damage per shot. It sort of ends up being similar to a jackhammer but the Battlefield reference is good. It's like the Saiga vs the Remington 870.

I would like to see the Jackhammer more like a railgun than a shotgun. Though I suppose it could be like the AA-12.

On that note, a VS "shotgun" could be a short-range wide conal energy pulse/discharge weapon. Essentially the same effect as a shotgun but more to the Vanu energy weapon feel. The accuracy advantage of the weapon could be that the cone is consistent and not random like the spread of a shotgun. Its balanced by rapid damage degradation over distance.
Old 2012-03-14, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Aractain
Major

TR shotgun: MCG chambered for 12guage.
Old 2012-03-14, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Shouldn't this be posted on the idea vault, by the way ?
Old 2012-03-14, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Maltalionis
Private

I was just thinking that...

I just made the same thread in the PS2 Idea Vault, where it should be.

Last edited by Maltalionis; 2012-03-14 at 04:25 PM.
Old 2012-03-14, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Conq
Staff Sergeant

Just posted in another thread about my love for TR and jealously of NC shotguns.

I like this idea.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion