something absent from the AGN and the E3 stream (melee) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where everybody knows your name.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-11, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
megamold
Second Lieutenant

something absent from the AGN and the E3 stream (melee)

so i just watched the latest AGN recording and i saw the 3 days or TB's E3 stream.

one thing i could not see in the stream were people using knives, this to me is possibly a positive indication because if it was a stream of the new CoD everyone would be knifing like crazy. so it tells me its not overpowered.
also on a related note : the melee system for maxes

now since this was such a big deal a couple weeks ago ( and rightly so ) i was sure it would be discussed on the AGN, to my surprise it wasnt.

so does this mean its not overpowered, and they went with a good system?
does this mean it wasnt funtional for E3 ?
or does this mean that everyone just forgot about it
Old 2012-06-11, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Re: something absent from the AGN and the E3 stream (melee)

They are underpowered. I can't use them to kill someone 10 feet away from me.
But no one in the stream even used a knife to kill someone. People kept knifing the air by luck and then never used it.
Old 2012-06-11, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by megamold View Post
All we know is that it's quickdraw. MAXes can melee also.
It was functional there was a single bit of footage where an NC dude swang his knife, cutting the atmosphere

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-11, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
cutting the atmosphere
This sounds like the name for a new emo band.
Old 2012-06-11, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
This sounds like the name for a new emo band.
Damn my offtopic, but for me a picture of a ship entering the atmosphere comes to mind...

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-11, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
megamold
Second Lieutenant

i know its a quickdraw, and i also know maxes will have melee to, i was wondering more about the actual mechanics of knifing
cod style: knife button = instawin
or more like bf3: wich i think is not such a bad knifing system ie. :if you manage to sneak up on someone you deserve the instant kill, but does nearly no dmg from the front or when the target is moving.

i was just wondering if neuro or hama ( someone who actually played the game ) could give me some insight into this since it was such a big deal and it seems to have completely dropped off from the radar.

Last edited by megamold; 2012-06-11 at 09:11 AM.
Old 2012-06-11, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Mirror
First Sergeant

seeing the quick knife made me die a little inside

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2012-06-11, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
There's another name for an emo band. Or at least an emo song.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-06-11, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
megamold
Second Lieutenant

i dont really have a problem with a quick knife, its the mechanic the devs choose to put behind it that bothers me.
Old 2012-06-11, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Cuross
Master Sergeant

^This. It's a mechanic that never made sense to me even for a game, and I play lots of games and shrug it off by just saying it's a game. I mean, when did soldiers start carrying their knives in their hands? Doesn't it obstruct their ability to wield their rifles?

I think that quick knife, no matter how little damage it does or how long it takes to "recharge" is a bad thing. Now, this is just my opinion, but the whole mechanic just feels crappy and cheap to me and even if I end up getting a kill with it, I feel all dirty. I guess my real issue is that I just don't want to see a dude wading through the battlefield using their quick knife. Now, if they had to sling their weapon and holster their sidearm and pull out their knife and started wading through the battlefield, then all the more respect to them :P

But, to the OP, there were people using the melee command, probably on accident, but I don't think anyone was really thinking of using it if they even ever got the chance, haha.
Old 2012-06-11, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Turdicus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Cuross View Post
^This. It's a mechanic that never made sense to me even for a game, and I play lots of games and shrug it off by just saying it's a game. I mean, when did soldiers start carrying their knives in their hands? Doesn't it obstruct their ability to wield their rifles?

I think that quick knife, no matter how little damage it does or how long it takes to "recharge" is a bad thing. Now, this is just my opinion, but the whole mechanic just feels crappy and cheap to me and even if I end up getting a kill with it, I feel all dirty. I guess my real issue is that I just don't want to see a dude wading through the battlefield using their quick knife. Now, if they had to sling their weapon and holster their sidearm and pull out their knife and started wading through the battlefield, then all the more respect to them :P
Hm, haven't you ever seen a tactical vest with a knife holster on the hip or on the chest? When it is on the chest the knife handle is pointed down so the user can very quickly pull it out and thrust in as short a time as possible. Designed for lightning strikes. Maybe your soldier just holds his rifle with his left hand while he unsheathes and swipes with the knife in his right. Doesn't seem very far fetched to me.
Old 2012-06-11, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
MooK
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Turdicus View Post
Hm, haven't you ever seen a tactical vest with a knife holster on the hip or on the chest? When it is on the chest the knife handle is pointed down so the user can very quickly pull it out and thrust in as short a time as possible. Designed for lightning strikes. Maybe your soldier just holds his rifle with his left hand while he unsheathes and swipes with the knife in his right. Doesn't seem very far fetched to me.
Seems a little far fetched to me. I'd prefer my knife not to be quick, but be fairly powerful really close up.
Old 2012-06-11, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
FINALCUT
First Sergeant

This.
Old 2012-06-11, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Stew
Major

so i just watched the latest AGN recording and i saw the 3 days or TB's E3 stream.

one thing i could not see in the stream were people using knives, this to me is possibly a positive indication because if it was a stream of the new CoD everyone would be knifing like crazy. so it tells me its not overpowered.
also on a related note : the melee system for maxes

now since this was such a big deal a couple weeks ago ( and rightly so ) i was sure it would be discussed on the AGN, to my surprise it wasnt.

just hope their is not instant quick knife , or Knife range auguementation skills tree and stuff like thats

ive always hate quick knife in my opinion a kife if ( quick ) must have a very small range like 1 feet and also make only 30% damage or someting like this its suposed to be a last change thing

The side arms is the way to go and the kife is the last chance

If their is any knife mechanics hope the knife have to be equip and have to be a (( animation )) and if the guy got kill vefore the animation is compleate the guy who almost get kill is save like Killzone 3 knife animation !
Old 2012-06-11, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by FINALCUT View Post
^^^
I don't mind the quick knife as long as it's not a one shot kill (unless they're at low health) I could see the MAX doing a bit more damage but the quick draw being slower (still no one shot kills). That would be fine for me.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion