How to pay for large units? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Were Hamma sees all...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-12, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Re: How to pay for large units?

The cost of the vehicles go up the more customization you add.

Old 2012-06-12, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Azren
Sergeant Major

The sunderer will probably cost around the same as the tanks. If you get resources for support duty (repair), it's cost will come back fast.

The gal is a mobile spawn point and should be priced higher for this option. Resource gain for support duty will be huge from this one.

This is of course if we do get resources for support, but if we don't, well, let's just say there will be a few threads about it.

All in all, the driver should pay the full value of the vehicle as he will recieve the full support exp and resources in return.
Old 2012-06-12, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Meriv
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
They aren't that pricey, at least according to E3. I didn't see what the gal cost, but the sunderer cost 150 of the lowest end resource.

Presumably, the XP rewards from using them will make it worth your while.
On the E3 the players had full resources (5000 cap) soo they could spam what'ever they wanted. We still are figuring how many resources you will be making , and the maths werent the nicest ones, but think if u need 3-4 hours to be able to spam a galaxy what would u do when u are flaked down?
Old 2012-06-12, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Mechzz
Major

yeah, I agree we don't want/need to fantasise on all sorts of complicated payment mechanisms before we know more about the details. But I also hadn'tr seen this point discussed and wanted to see what peeps think.

I also had forgotten that as a Gal pilot I would get xp for kills made from my plane. Does that count for hot drops as well as spawns?
Old 2012-06-12, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
I also had forgotten that as a Gal pilot I would get xp for kills made from my plane. Does that count for hot drops as well as spawns?
Unsure although Higby did say that you would get xp for all the thing you would expect to get xp for, so going by that I'd say yes.

One thing to remember is in planetside gal dropping onto a hot base is a good way to get all your squad killed quickly. So maybe in ps2 with higher populations xp from gal drops may not be an xp fountain.
Old 2012-06-12, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Meriv View Post
For this reason i advice all to read the last post of the treadh of "what outfits needs" because we were proposing a tax sistem to outfit players to chip for the galaxy soo strong players can help for example to trasport not soo strong ones that cannot afford a galaxy (or dont ahve enought time to play) but withouth making all pay the pilot.
That only helps outfits though, the resource sharing system I am thinking of simply splits the cost of a vehicle across squad members. SOE wants to encourage outfits, but surely not require them, that's why I am thinking of a squad sharing system. This would allow people who squad up independent of an outfit to share the Galaxy/Sunderer cost. And the reason why this would be for transport vehicles only is to prevent it from being used on individual vehicles like tanks and reavers.

As for outfits, and an outfit tax, that's good too. But when would the withdrawal from members occur? I see two possibilities:

1. At the point of purchase, the purchased Galaxy would deduct a portion of the cost from all members
2. Outfit members would pay resources into a common Outfit pool(since individual players have maximum resources).

Either way, outfits could assign "Resource Pool" purchasing rights to whomever they see fit, and these players could be authorized to purchase Galaxies/Sunderers with guild resources. Option 2 is the only one that makes real sense, and, they have done it before with Everquest, in the form of Tribute. Tribute was used to provide certain guild-wide beneficial magical effects and in the Guild roster, you could see who had contributed what.

By the way, we may as well support a tax system now, it's going to be needed if we ever have outfit airships.
Old 2012-06-12, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
The Kush
Captain

Driver should pay for it
Old 2012-06-12, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Bazilx
First Sergeant

I think they should add large mechanized units to the official store that you can only buy with real money, they should be driven by 1 person and walk like large mech-units with weapons, maybe they could have like a 2-minute timer so you can't spam them though and they should have a shield that regenerates, just my 2 cents.

Edit:

oh and you could name them Big Fighting Robots.

Last edited by Bazilx; 2012-06-12 at 02:49 PM.
Old 2012-06-12, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Turdicus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
In PS1 if you dropped people out of your galaxy a timer started for those individual passengers. If they got kills or otherwise earned xp within that timer the pilot of the gal earned xp for it. It worked that way for other support roles as well. It was a good system, and it will probably be brought back in a similar way to PS2.

I don't know about earning resources for support roles, I mean I don't think I'm AGAINST it, but it doesn't really change the argument too much in my book. If a support role earns you xp then the driver should pay for the support item. You spend resources to earn XP, just like everything else.
Old 2012-06-12, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Sirisian
Colonel

Refer to the last section in this thread titled "Vehicle Terminal Negotiation System" which solves this problem. This is not the first thread this has been discussed in.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-12, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I have thoughts in the outfit thread about an outfit bank based around the ideas of MMORPG banks where people pay for repairs from the guild bank. I won't repeat here, but for this discussion I wanted to throw out some thoughts about special vehicles like the gal and sunderer.

Galaxies and Sunderers are support vehicles. There is no great glory to the pilot. No kill spam. No awesome K/D ratio. If anything such vehicles are a liability to one's stats. But they are important for success in PS2, and important for the empire.

They're also the most expensive vehicles from what we saw in E3.

I don't think it's a good idea to do anything that would discourage someone from playing support, because the game already discourages it by promoting kills, K/D, kills-per-minute, etc. It's already killwhore focused, so finding people willing to invest their cert points into something that will not make them "better" in the eyes of a lot of the population is hard from the start. Then you want to make those people pay for the costs of the vehicles they're using to support their outfit and bring their outfit and their empire success.

Remember the AMS driver from PS1? yeah that was a shitty job bringing up the AMS. No glory in it. Now in PS2 they're further glorifying killwhoring and now the AMS driver pay out of pocket for supporting the team. WTF? Do they want nobody to fly a gal in as a spawn point?

Same for the sunderer, and to a lesser extent the lib pilot that provides all the kills for the gunner.

At the least, there should be some way that the gal pilot doesn't have to make all the sacrifices. People who play support should be heroes and we should love them. Giving them some means to help pay for the services they provide is something an outfit or at least the people being provided said services should do.
Old 2012-06-12, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

I meant to make a thread about this but I got lazy.
My guess you can make it an option if you want to be kind and share the cost of resources it'll be good.
Old 2012-06-12, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Trafalgar
First Sergeant

Having not played PlanetSide 1, I started by pondering the system used in Allegiance (everyone donates paychecks to commander, commander authorizes (or denies) purchases), but concluded that it would probably not work well for PlanetSide 2, regardless of who the paychecks were donated to. People would either disable the feature if possible, or simply not group if that was necessary to avoid it, as the hassle from requiring authorization for the huge number of necessary purchases would be too great.

Edit: Five new posts while I typed, erased, and rewrote mine? And no warning from the forums before posting?

Last edited by Trafalgar; 2012-06-12 at 03:40 PM.
Old 2012-06-12, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Thanks Sirisian, I read most posts most days, but I guess I can't remember them all

The ideas in the linked thread are fairly complicated, but would seem to achieve the goal of spreading the cost in a fair way.

Something I'm concerned about that prompted this thread is the thought of outfit taxation. If I join an outfit and it turns out they were "not the ones for me" I don't want to have already given 10% or whatever of my resources to them with no refunds allowed.

So I'm glad the thread you linked to showed me Malorn's mention of "free tax" which would be a more painless way to pay for outfit membership, assuming the idea of outfits buying vehicles or anything else ever gets into the game. If outifts do get funds though, there had better be damned good financial protection and management tools or the Auraxians will form the 4th empire after outfit leaders go megalomaniac on us - Occupy!
Old 2012-06-12, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
ringring
Contributor
General

To be honest I am not in favour of outfit taxation and if a tax is necessary then to my mind there is something wrong.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion