End Game: Pros and Cons - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: WWSJD???
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-12, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
Meriv
First Sergeant

Re: End Game: Pros and Cons

Originally Posted by Zolan View Post
>End-game
>Events
>Cycles
>Timers
>Matches
>Planetside

ok but if you ps1 players are not willing to change anything it will just result in the same niche game with population problems as ps1. If I am wrong why did ps1 pop have gone down?
Old 2012-06-12, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
Phellix
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Meriv View Post
ok but if you ps1 players are not willing to change anything it will just result in the same niche game with population problems as ps1. If I am wrong why did ps1 pop have gone down?

I sincerely hope you're trolling.
Old 2012-06-12, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #138
Zolan
Staff Sergeant

Hacking, Graphics, BFRs, new generation of gamers doesn't even know it exists.
Old 2012-06-12, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #139
Pepsi
Sergeant

This reminds me of the Waypoint forums: "We gotta change! It doesn't matter if it's good or bad change!"
Old 2012-06-12, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #140
Mechzz
Major

Look at it like this:
Playing planetside 1 was like a continuous orgasm. For some people that orgasm has lasted 9 of your earth years. For most of us it lasted I guess 6 months to a year.

At least 6 months of pure non-stop pleasure.

Now you do see why "end-game" palls in comparison?

If you don't, just wait until you play the (new) game. It has a weird effect on people, trust me!
Old 2012-06-12, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #141
Nephilimuk
Master Sergeant

pssst guys its an MMO....
Old 2012-06-12, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #142
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

All mmos pops eventually go down.
However, there were lots of reasons it wasn't a smashing success. Here are a few that don't involve actual gameplay.
It was 2003. Broadband was just catching on. It was ahead of its time, and many peoples comps couldn't handle it back then. It also wasn't the best game suited for subscription based payment...imo. Once past a threshold, low pop breeds even lower pop. Players are content in online games, and it especially holds true in Planetsie. No content no game.

Last edited by OutlawDr; 2012-06-12 at 05:36 PM.
Old 2012-06-12, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #143
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Yeah, it's something I've thought about from time-to-time. We have talked about "tournament mode", which would be something like an instanced battlegrounds where you could have 20v20, 50v50, 100v100 matches with a clear victory condition so you could have an outfit battle, or fight against rivals on your same empire from different servers, whatever. The worry has always been pulling people out of the primary game mode which many think should be sacrosanct. The very nature of a fiercely competitive game without a victory condition is a conundrum I've been wrestling with since starting on this project, it usually comes down to having to rely on "smaller" victory moments.
Smaller victory moments in PS1 always were 100% more satisfying than a victory in any shooter I ever played. It will work once again in PS2.
Old 2012-06-12, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #144
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
Look at it like this:
Playing planetside 1 was like a continuous orgasm. For some people that orgasm has lasted 9 of your earth years. For most of us it lasted I guess 6 months to a year.

At least 6 months of pure non-stop pleasure.

Now you do see why "end-game" palls in comparison?

If you don't, just wait until you play the (new) game. It has a weird effect on people, trust me!
of course the new game is faster paced. some of us may not survive
Old 2012-06-12, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #145
Meriv
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
This reminds me of the Waypoint forums: "We gotta change! It doesn't matter if it's good or bad change!"
I am not trolling , plus ps2 will be f2p and with no pop means no microtransictions for keeping up the server. And I would hate to see soo much potential go waste. Ok there is hacking in most of the games. Graphics, how much time until next fps using unreal 4 engine gets out? And all the non hardcore pop moving to it after having conquered 40 times the same facility?

You must give them a long term or you will end in the same niche game with a peak of 75k ppl at golden time, Wot just in russia counts for half milion players, LOL has 10 milion active players. What push them to play? Ranking in LoL, grinding in Wot plus clan wars; but tier 1 tank is another world considering tier10(while how much certificates influence the gun you are shooting in ps2?they said that they will be tradeoff). And because they are or were unique games(at least wot) in their genre. But Ps2 is a fps and it won't be hard to copy the model if you keep it just at warfaring, copying with better graphics. Better set a game model soo future games will be called "oh look just another ps2 clone"(wow reference) making ps2 unique (more than it is)

Last edited by Meriv; 2012-06-12 at 05:46 PM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-12, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #146
BREWKO
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by HtSgtMAD View Post
the Run for the Guns and Monolith events were a blast,I really don't need to see another rabbit tho.

we could easliy run monolith events,ask brewko, he was there.
I think I still have the Rabbit Event design docs, is that what you want?
Old 2012-06-12, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #147
Phellix
Sergeant

I am not trolling , plus ps2 will be f2p and with no pop means no microtransictions for keeping up the server. And I would hate to see soo much potential go waste. Ok there is hacking in most of the games. Graphics, how much time until next fps using unreal 4 engine gets out? And all the non hardcore pop moving to it after having conquered 40 times the same facility?

You must give them a long term or you will end in the same niche game with a peak of 75k ppl at golden time, Wot just in russia counts for half milion players, LOL has 10 milion active players. What push them to play? Ranking in LoL, grinding in Wot plus clan wars; but tier 1 tank is another world considering tier10(while how much certificates influence the gun you are shooting in ps2?they said that they will be tradeoff). And because they are or were unique games(at least wot) in their genre. But Ps2 is a fps and it won't be hard to copy the model if you keep it just at warfaring, copying with better graphics. Better set a game model soo future games will be called "oh look just another ps2 clone"(wow reference) making ps2 unique (more than it is)

Yup, you're trolling.
Planetside is already unique, you're acting as if it isn't.
Old 2012-06-12, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #148
Roy Awesome
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by BREWKO View Post
I think I still have the Rabbit Event design docs, is that what you want?
YAY RABBIT I LOVED RABBIT
Old 2012-06-12, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #149
Meriv
First Sergeant

ok then i will say no more on this argument and the facts (i hope i am wrong) will tell us.

I am sorry if you received it as trolling.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #150
Grapes
Private

Instead of having these "tournaments" or "rounds" I think it'd be better if we had a monthly event where it's important to hold a certain base. Every month, there's a certain base that's "very important". And whoever holds this base at the end of the month, would get a special reward or bonus. This fight could last the entire month, or they could reveal the base a few days before. This could create a really, really huge and long-lasting battle at the end of each month.

Just my thoughts
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion