Quick Knife - Is it really the best option? - Page 9 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: OMG HAMMA, that thing is HUGE! ..... I meant the BFR.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What type of Quick-Melee attack do you prefer?
Rifle-Bash -I prefer it to be changed to something a bit more basic and natural. 114 31.58%
Quick-Knife- I prefer it to stay like it is like typical modern shooters. 42 11.63%
I don't want to see a quick-melee at all. Equip your knife to do battle! 205 56.79%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-12, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #121
Maltodextrin
Private

Re: Quick Knife - Is it really the best option?

Simple solution: When equipped, the knife does a quick slash, Such as though one did a slash when removing it from the sheath. After pulling it out, it remains equipped until you pull out your other weapon.

This maintains the quick knife's ability to be handy in a pinch, when all other options have failed, while at the same time hopefully discouraging quick knife spam in close quarters.

I'd also love for a weapon bash as well, low damage, but staggers the enemy.

Of course, I'd also love to throw my empty pistol into a Vanu's faceplate, then tackle him, and strangle the life out of him with my bare hands... (Kinect Suport!)
Old 2012-06-12, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #122
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
Hate quick knife, there are energy shields how the hell would a knife penetrate those and a bullet not.

I could live with rifle butt if it was weak as shit.
actually , one of the basic sci-fi explenations for this is that the shields only react the fast moving projectiles ( so things with alot of kinetic energy )
since a knife is much slower it is not effected by the shield.

think about it, if the shield holds back everything then you cant penetrate your own shield either, how will you go take a piss
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-12, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #123
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by megamold View Post
actually , one of the basic sci-fi explenations for this is that the shields only react the fast moving projectiles ( so things with alot of kinetic energy )
since a knife is much slower it is not effected by the shield.

think about it, if the shield holds back everything then you cant penetrate your own shield either, how will you go take a piss
I'm thinking about it and wondering how my own bullets get through my shield.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #124
DayOne
Captain

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I'm thinking about it and wondering how my own bullets get through my shield.
Either:
A) it opens up on the muzzle of your weapon in time with the shots fired (like WWI aircraft)
B) one way shields

Old 2012-06-12, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #125
Resolve
Corporal

3 words. Fuck magnet knifing.
Old 2012-06-12, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #126
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Id prefer quick knife was a pistol whip or butt strike animation, but that can be swapped out later. As long as it does significantly weaker dage than equip knife and isnt one shotting people im ok with the shitty animation. Im sure Tray will improve it when he has the opportunity, but i imavine he has a lot more higher priority things to work on, like Heavy assault animations.
I must've put 10 posts in this thread and I've still not seen one non-fluff post as to why "quick melee" should even exist in PlanetSide... It simply isn't necessary. Equip the knife (like every other weapon in PlanetSide) and, as others have said, allow people to specialize in it. F' COD and it's 'quick knives'.
Old 2012-06-12, 08:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #127
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Dart View Post
I must've put 10 posts in this thread and I've still not seen one non-fluff post as to why "quick melee" should even exist in PlanetSide... It simply isn't necessary. Equip the knife (like every other weapon in PlanetSide) and, as others have said, allow people to specialize in it. F' COD and it's 'quick knives'.
Because we already discussed why melee is beneficial in another thread? There's probably other threads. We can't keep reiterating the same discussion for every new person to the forum.
Old 2012-06-12, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #128
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Because we already discussed why melee is beneficial in another thread? There's probably other threads. We can't keep reiterating the same discussion for every new person to the forum.
LMAO! I'm not new to this forum and have you seen the results in the thread you just linked to support your argument? 82% of the people polled agree with me that there is NO NEED for "quick knives". You can put the gun down now, you shot your foot!
Old 2012-06-12, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #129
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I'm sorry, was I supposed to necro? I was wasn't I, I'm so bad at the dark arts of forum going...

That thread was started HOW many months ago? And HOW many months ago was the last post? And wasn't it BEFORE they implemented the quick knife, where as now I'm calling attention to it, AFTER it's been added in, which was after a majority spoke AGAINST it.

I do believe this thread has credibility. Let's keep it at, "we've all been speaking against it since Higby asked us and somehow it ended up in the game" discussion. It's now a legitimate concern. If you're for the quick knife, bring something new to the table, don't just point back 3 or 4 months ago.

Last edited by Zekeen; 2012-06-12 at 08:15 PM.
Old 2012-06-12, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #130
Dart
Second Lieutenant

If anything the quick knife is LESS popular now than it was before! In the first thread only 18% of people supported it but now it's down to 11%!!! Why are we even discussing this any more?? Remove it already.
Old 2012-06-12, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #131
Cuross
Master Sergeant

Quick knife? No, it's a mechanic that I find even virtually unrealistic, that is, I find it unrealistic even in a virtual world. It looks cheap (not cheap like broken, cheap like half-assed), and I still can't get over the fact that apparently all soldiers today and in the future are duct taping their blades to their hands. It really gives me pause. A knife is a tough weapon to use, it's not as easy to just "slide it into the base of the skull" or "find that weak spot in the armor", all bladed weapons are like this where even the least amount of resistance can throw your strike off target. That said, I think that if it was a quick knife I'd say it should deal no more than maybe 20% of a light assault's maximum health because the attack itself appears to be wild and out of control. And then there's the reminder of shields. If I wanted to play a game where a blade could get through shields, I really would wait for Frank Herbert's Dune to become an MMO (which I believe I heard noise about it). Not that I wouldn't play PS2, but I just would continue feeling like the mechanic is one of those things you just don't want to talk about, and anyone who does would be one of "those" kinds of people.

I voted equip the knife, put in a different type of quick melee like butt-stocking, pistol-whipping, and wild haymakers or jabs. Add a mechanic where anyone struck by one of these, while the damage is relatively low, the enemy gets shook up a little.
Old 2012-06-12, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #132
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

simple.. this is not an arcade shooter

We don't need scrubs running around trying to quick knife for montages

make it so you have to equip the knife and then click it again to stab etc.. nothing quick about it. it should be stealth that get's you the kill.. not lag/latency or pressing the button and panic knifing etc.
Old 2012-06-12, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #133
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Why? Why do we need a skill-less, one button melee attack at all? I love the attitude of the guys who want to customize and specialize in knife-fighting! THAT is PlanetSide! Forget quick melee attacks all together. Advocate skill and specialization. Leave homogenisation to lesser shooters.
Agreed. If you want to get to the point where you can do some major damage with a knife then skill up a tree that helps you in that. This "A knife should be a OHK" is stupid. A quick knife isn't much more then "Press X" to win.

Again I'll point out that at point blank range if you are using a pistol you don't get a OHK. You are not even guaranteed to hit. And I'll point out that through the rib cage, under the rib cage, in the back....is all fine and dandy but in real life unless the subject isn't moving your chance of getting a OHK isn't very good forget about the body armour your target has on.

I'll agree to a OHK from a knife only if you agree to a OHK from bullets within 20 feet.

Oh and all this gladiator/midevil talk...killing blows like that are typically depicted as being done on an opponent that is already helpless on the ground or being restrained by a few others. I think to many people watch movies and fancy themselves as some super fighter in game but don't want to have any more effort then sneaking up on someone and pressing X.
Old 2012-06-12, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #134
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Well said.
Old 2012-06-12, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #135
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Top Sgt View Post
simple.. this is not an arcade shooter

We don't need scrubs running around trying to quick knife for montages

make it so you have to equip the knife and then click it again to stab etc.. nothing quick about it. it should be stealth that get's you the kill.. not lag/latency or pressing the button and panic knifing etc.
Exactly because it ends up being just a jack rabbit scene where a newb is hopping around wildly swinging hoping to hit that one lucky hit.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion