Nickel and Dime - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because you can't play DOOM forever.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-12, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Rexdezi
Sergeant

Thumbs up Re: Nickel and Dime

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
that was a very interesting watch thank you
Old 2012-06-12, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Exmortius
Master Sergeant

Re: Nickel and Dime

ooooo man i would love a TR dog tag. i'd wear that like everywhere those will probably sell like mad.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-12, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Subscription based MMO (or non-box FPS) are now a rare exception versus most products going free to play. It's profitable for the company but most important is it provides you with options for your budget. Of course a subscription is simpler, but it's not the model most folks are used to these days.
Old 2012-06-12, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
likwidneo
Private

@OP

I've been playing PS1 since launch, still subbed, and I can tell you my first thought when PS1 came out was "this game is awesome and revolutionary, but it should be free to play and they should try and monetize the game in some other way." lo and behold 9 years later...

the problem with PS1 or 2 is that unlike most non-instanced MMO's, you NEED heavily populated servers to make this work. I did more than my fair share of named monster camping on Final Fantasy XI and sometimes i'd sit there and wish there weren't 30 people next to me competing for something that spawns every 8 hours. The MMOFPS is exactly backwards. the game requires a heavy body count for it to be a great experience to their paying customers.

the problem at that point then becomes, "why should i pay 15 bucks a month for this game when i can pay 60 once for cawadoody or battlefailed and milk my money for what its worth?" thats what any shooter player who hasn't actually given the game a chance and subbed for a month will say. you just can't truly wrap your head around the planetside experience until you actually sit down and get it in your hands directly. Cheesy, I know, but it's kinda like The Matrix. "No one can be told what The Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."
Old 2012-06-12, 09:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Werefox
Private

Like I suspect a lot a PS1 veterans here I was in the last fortnight of open beta for PS1. Anecdotally, the transition between the last day of open beta and first day of subscriptions seemed like half the people vanished overnight. I also suspect that 'can't find anyone to shoot at' was one of the leading contributions for population decline on servers over the following months and years.

For better or worse, a significant number of people are either not in the position to pay subscriptions or are fundamentally opposed to them. I was overjoyed when I heard PS2 was going F2P, not because I'm particularly biased for or against F2P, but rather because it gives my real life friends no excuse to giving it a try. And if they are playing, I will play well beyond where I would otherwise stop.
Old 2012-06-12, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Exmortius
Master Sergeant

right on i totally agree. being free and if word of mouth from vets push it along with a bit of good marketing even if just done with youtube channels it should really take off. when people see the actual gameplay footage after launch people are going to poop themselves at how much is happening. this is really a one of a kind franchise even 10 years later. there is nothing else close to what this game provides. it's completely unique. more teamwork than anyone can imagine in a game.
Old 2012-06-12, 10:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
shryne
Private

It is a matter of perspective. If you do not have to pay for Planetside 2 (the game) then you can spend 60 dollars in customizations and anything else they sell. Either way you spend the same total and don't have to worry about a subscription renewing
Old 2012-06-12, 11:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
But I for one will buy stuff on the market just to support them, even though I don't have to.
^ Ditto there. Just hearing Higsby's story of Florida --> California "can I have a job? I love this" story tells me all I need to know about the company's integrity...as far as being a consumer/player is concerned.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by likwidneo View Post
the problem at that point then becomes, "why should i pay 15 bucks a month for this game when i can pay 60 once for cawadoody or battlefailed and milk my money for what its worth?" thats what any shooter player who hasn't actually given the game a chance and subbed for a month will say. you just can't truly wrap your head around the planetside experience until you actually sit down and get it in your hands directly. Cheesy, I know, but it's kinda like The Matrix. "No one can be told what The Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."
^^^^^ I'm getting that tattooed on the boner you just gave me.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Brusi
Contributor
Major

opinions are like spelling, no one can fucking get it right.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-06-12, 11:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
The Degenatron
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
But I for one will buy stuff on the market just to support them, even though I don't have to.
Me too. I'm subbing PS1 right now just for the chance to play early. As soon as I'm in PS2 and the store is live, I'm moving that sub money to PS2 purchases.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Ikeda
Private

One question would be once you buy something like a skin etc. from the cash shop do you own it permanently or is it one of those money grab things where you have to renew your ownership of it every month the same way some of the greedier F2P cash shops work. Don't think they've specified that yet.
Old 2012-06-12, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
SGTalon
Contributor
Sergeant

I hope that SOE and specifically the Planetside 2 team makes PILES of money off this game.

I mean Scrooge McDuck piles of money.

Maybe then the rest of the gaming world will get on the bandwagon and start making GOOD games again.

I also sure hope that the PS2 team gets profit sharing. They deserve it.

Yay Capitalism!

Virtual Hitmen - www.vhm.guildlaunch.com

TR for Life!
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-13, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Smed will have a money bath from this game. Every day.
Old 2012-06-13, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

The main reason I dont play PS1, is because the pops dropped too much. I loved the large scale battles. F2P, in my opinion, will bring those pops back, and even more than before.

I fully intend to pay (for me and my daughter) in excess of $100 for this game, its just a given. Probably in the first year if my girl sees skins for new shoes... So, the nickle and dime effect will be by my choice, and I'm ok with that, since they are not shoving it down my throat.

You cant put a price on making your kid happy, nickles, dimes, or dollars. Live a little...

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!

Last edited by Grognard; 2012-06-13 at 12:55 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion