Greece should they stay in the euro/EU or kick them out - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hey, where are the jetpacks?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

View Poll Results: Should Greece stay in EU/Euro?
Yes they need to stay in both 2 16.67%
They should be kick out of the Euro, but stay in EU 2 16.67%
They should be kick out of EU but stay in Euro 0 0%
They should be kicked og of both EU and Euro 3 25.00%
If they agree on the current terms, then stay, if not out. 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-17, 03:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rovdyr
Private

Greece should they stay in the euro/EU or kick them out

It's simple for me really. I've never been a fan of the Euro, and since greece seems to be striking and whining about the help they get, then i think they should try on their own and see how it goes. The Euro's chance of survival atm is not too high, Spain has 24,5 % unemployment, Itally has a GDP groth of almost -3%, and the new french president, Hollande, doesn't want to save money but use those he hasn't got :P

Let the madness begin
Old 2012-05-17, 05:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: Greece should they stay in the euro/EU or kick them out

Conform to the conditions of a loan or don't bother trying to get our money.

The fast majority of their debts have already been paid by us, without any certainty that they're willing to fundamentally change their corrupt system, there's no point continuing.

If you burn yourself you should sit on the blisters. At the moment, we're sitting on their blisters for them and that's bad enough as is. Strangely, they hate us for it, instead of hating their own actions and those of the politicians they elected for making promises that cost billions of euros in tax payer money over the past couple decades - and probably before that.

The coming weeks, to make sure people want to vote for them with the new elections on the way, tax collection letters aren't sent at all...

Does the Greek population suffer from this? Yes. Definitely. But do you honestly think the Greeks would or even could have sent money to the north had it been the other way around? Somehow I highly doubt it.

The stories you hear from enterpreneurs, politicians and other civilians that went to live or work there about the corruption are simply maddening. The corruption is huge and spreads through every class of the populace. Yesterday for instance a reporter from RTL 7 (business channel) talked on a debate show something she was told by the someone from Albert Heijn (one of the larger dutch supermarket companies).

Apparently, when they introduced the beertender to Greece with a party (like they had done all over Europe) they had decided to give every person on the party (all elite) a free voucher for one beertender.

After a short while into the party he suddenly wondered where half the people had gone. He went outside to check and found they were loading multiple beertenders into their luxury cars...

Members of the dutch parliament that visited Greece's parliament last year to see how things were going, told he following debate took place in the parliament of Greece:

There had been some questions raised for the minister responsible on why public servants that year got coupons to go on a government paid holiday on other islands than their own.

Now the question wasn't "why did they get one in the first place", no, the question was "Why on another island than their own, shouldn't they be free to choose where they want to go?". The answer provided by the minister was: "Because we would like them to visit some other islands in our beautiful archipelago for a change. But don't worry, any ferry or flight costs will be paid for them of course."

You can imagine that neither the question nor comment went down well...
(source in dutch)

We're talking about hundreds of thousands civil servants here, though apparently the exact amount is unknown to even the Greek government...
Old 2012-05-17, 06:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Since Greece is slowly but steadily sinking into the sea problem will be resolved by it self in couple of million years. And yes if they want out they should go out after they pay what they own to the rest.

Anyway I see no real good long-term alternative for Europe apart from merging except maybe for Brits but I doubt even they would be better off that way.
Old 2012-05-17, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Wasn't the whole point of the Euro to stop all of this from happening in the first place?

Old 2012-05-17, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
Wasn't the whole point of the Euro to stop all of this from happening in the first place?
Which is why the Netherlands didn't want them in back then. We were the only country to say no to Greece (and had doubts about other nations and wanted stricter rules). But the other countries went "look, they're only a thousand something miles from Germany, that means they'll have as strict budgetary rules as we do, right!?"
Old 2012-05-17, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Vash02
Major

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
There were rules in place that should of stopped it from happening (like a deficit cap of 3% of GDP) but they were ignored by everyone and the fuck up we have here is the result.

edit: Figment I think the Germans and French broke the rules as well. The difference being they had the discipline to rein it back in rather than going spending crazy.

Last edited by Vash02; 2012-05-17 at 06:30 PM.
Old 2012-05-17, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

I don't believe they should be kicked out, I believe that they should leave on their own terms.
Old 2012-05-17, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Vash02 View Post
edit: Figment I think the Germans and French broke the rules as well. The difference being they had the discipline to rein it back in rather than going spending crazy.
Yep and guess who was the only country opposing them not getting a fine for it for setting the wrong example?
Old 2012-05-17, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Imo, if Europe is to recover, greece needs to become fully self sufficient. there is no way for them to continue to be a member of the EU or Eurozone without dragging everyone else down.

The rest of the region should agree to collectively pay for Greece's debt, and then kick them out while imposing taxes, sanctions and other things on them.

Last edited by p0intman; 2012-05-17 at 08:24 PM.
Old 2012-05-18, 02:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Vash02
Major

Germany has already bailed them out, it's just that their deficit is that big
Old 2012-05-18, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
Are you fucking daft? Why should the working class EVER pay for someone... THEN KICK THEM OUT?

Kick the prostitute infested country out, right now.
Do that before greece's debt is paid and they default on it. They won't be resolving it any time soon. The quick way to do it is as I mentioned.. work out a scheme for compensation after they're gone. Its a matter of deciding what you want more:

The EU and the Eurozone to collapse entirely, and affect the rest of the world in a bad way again...
or
the lesser option of a lot of pain in the short term.

Last edited by p0intman; 2012-05-18 at 07:15 PM.
Old 2012-06-07, 06:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Surprise
Private

Germany is allready printing deutsche marks, obviously they want to drop the euro. I don't see the eurozone surviving without the only major economic power it has. Italy France Spain Iceland Portugal United Kingdom and Greece have major debts.

The Eurozone will probably collapse, German won't be affected too badly, India China USA Russia won't feel a thing. UK will make it out ok thanks to the GBP. Right now would be a good time to put all your euros in silver. I buy all my silver from APMEX.

Last edited by Surprise; 2012-06-07 at 06:59 AM.
Old 2012-06-07, 07:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Surprise
Private

Germany is allready printing deutsche marks, obviously they want to drop the euro. I don't see the eurozone surviving without the only major economic power it has. Italy France Spain Iceland Portugal United Kingdom and Greece have major debts.
Old 2012-06-07, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
ChargerCarl
Corporal

I'm pretty sure it's impossible for the Eurozone to kick out a member. They can only leave of their own accord.
Old 2012-06-27, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

If Greece leaves or is kicked out, they will simply default on their debts. Watch what happens to the receiver nations' balance sheets once that happens; have fun, rest of EU. It's hard to say what will happen, or what should happen, but to say that the rest of the world (particularly the united states) won't be affected by the Eurozone collapsing is absurd. The US has invested plenty of it's debts with Great Britain and the ECB, if those currencies fail, which in all likelihood will include a default, we'll be SOL on it. The truth is the EU will probably print itself into a hyperinflationary oblivion, and it's going to hurt; most likely keep the US in a drawn out recession-dominant cycle for quite a while. This is probably the perfect time to move from paper assets to hard assets for you investory type peoples.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum