3 way battles - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Putting the "WTF" in "fansite".
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-21, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Toppopia
Major

3 way battles

I have been wondering this for a while but will it be easy to end up with all 3 factions fighting each other? Like TR and NC are fighting over a base then VS attacks from behind and wipes out one faction, and if this is possible then will it be possible to communicate with other factions so if commanders see a massive force advancing then the 2 factions can team up temporarily to fight the newcomers.
Old 2012-04-21, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
The Kush
Captain

Re: 3 way battles

Yes (3 way battles) it happened in the original planetside and it will happen in this game. Those are some of my favorite fights! As far as talking to opposing commanders to make alliances, no that ability will not be part of the game. Now that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, sometimes it is in the best interest of two factions to attack the third faction and not each other (usually when the third faction is the largest) but as far as any game regulated alliances between two different factions absolutely not. And anyways once you are part of an empire (at least if your not a faction switching b****) you would rather die then help any side haha
Old 2012-04-21, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
I have been wondering this for a while but will it be easy to end up with all 3 factions fighting each other? Like TR and NC are fighting over a base then VS attacks from behind and wipes out one faction, and if this is possible then will it be possible to communicate with other factions so if commanders see a massive force advancing then the 2 factions can team up temporarily to fight the newcomers.
Well if PS1 is any indication, and in this context I think it is... there will be lots of three-ways. I'd even call it a regular thing... if not the norm. Maybe you will not be in one, but there will be one going on...

About the faction communication, my guess is yes, but Im not too sure how they are doing cross-faction communication yet.

Edit: I just noticed the "alliance" word come up, and I agree, I think that will be rare for cross-faction communication.

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!

Last edited by Grognard; 2012-04-21 at 07:03 PM.
Old 2012-04-21, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
bigcracker
Sergeant Major

Many times in PS1 i would run into a squad of TR, kill them and around the next corner run into the NC.
Old 2012-04-21, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
XPquant
Sergeant

Back in the original planetside the VS was the defacto third wheel. Seems like everytime we got a good battle going with the NC the VS would come in for the DP. I don't think that's going to change.
Old 2012-04-21, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Artimus
Master Sergeant

Were you able to communicate with other factions using the /tell command in ps1?
Old 2012-04-21, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

The real question is, how often will 2 way battles happen?

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-04-21, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
Were you able to communicate with other factions using the /tell command in ps1?
Yes. Hate tells will be great in PS2 .
Old 2012-04-21, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sabrak
Contributor
First Sergeant

Actually, since there is the new hex system, and the ability to capture any base on the map at any time, I'm really wondering if there will be many 3-way battles.

In PS1 3-ways would mostly happen when you didn't really have a choice: an empire needed to go through that one base with a fight already going on to be able to take the rest of the continent.
In PS2, you could just walk around and capture something else.

But maybe there are some hexes that everyone will want and/or need, which might solve the problem.
Old 2012-04-21, 09:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Yes. Hate tells will be great in PS2 .
Haha, you are an evil man, Goku

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!
Old 2012-04-21, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Purple
Sergeant Major

although individual outfits can decide to team up with another faction for a bit they will not be able to control the zerg. the zerg will always shoot the other side.
Old 2012-04-22, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by XPquant View Post
Back in the original planetside the VS was the defacto third wheel. Seems like everytime we got a good battle going with the NC the VS would come in for the DP. I don't think that's going to change.
VS could say (and have said) the same thing about TR. Chances are the only times you "got good fights going" with the NC is because you rear ended the VS who were there first.

But seriously the problem was in the very small populations. It was rare to see more then one continent pop locked. Why should one faction or the other stay out of a promising fight when that's the only fight to be had in a game centered around fighting?
Old 2012-04-22, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Jamini
Corporal

Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
VS could say (and have said) the same thing about TR. Chances are the only times you "got good fights going" with the NC is because you rear ended the VS who were there first.

But seriously the problem was in the very small populations. It was rare to see more then one continent pop locked. Why should one faction or the other stay out of a promising fight when that's the only fight to be had in a game centered around fighting?
As a longtime NC player I'd like to point out, at least on emerald, that the TR were much more likely to fight us in a straight-up fight than the VS. The VS-Emerald players tended to prefer backhacking and harassing over outright invasions unless they had a three-to-one advantage or more. At least, that how it was in my experience.
Old 2012-04-22, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
bigcracker
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Jamini View Post
As a longtime NC player I'd like to point out, at least on emerald, that the TR were much more likely to fight us in a straight-up fight than the VS. The VS-Emerald players tended to prefer backhacking and harassing over outright invasions unless they had a three-to-one advantage or more. At least, that how it was in my experience.
Tactics for the win!
Old 2012-04-22, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Back in ye olden days of Johari, I recall that NC were the primary enemy of both the VS and TR. NC had a slight population advantage more often than the other two and used it to attack head long. I don't recall the VS being as bad as the TR about back hacking, and generally we would back hack the NC while they fought with the TR, while the TR tended to be douches and backhack us while we fought the NC.

For the most part, all three sides used to put up great fights in general. Back when populations allowed for multiple continents to be pop locked. Back when Cyssor was pop locked pretty much 24/7 and yet there were STILL battles raging for control of other continents.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion