The Light Assault nerf is resented. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: There are many copies.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-04-19, 03:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: The Light Assault nerf is resented.

Originally Posted by Climhazzard View Post
We're talking about a person with a jet pack strapped to their back. How much sneaking do you honestly think they should be able to accomplish while using that jet pack?

If you want to be stealthy, play Infiltrator. Their noise only occurs during cloak and uncloak.

In any decent firefight, the sound from the jet pack is still easy to miss.
Hey I'm just evaluating objectively, already said I don't think it's gamebreaking and I haven't played aside from the test server, where there's only a few opponents. I'm only saying it IS actually a bit of a nerf where others thought there was none at all.

If anything, I'd hope the infil's stealth would become more appreciated, I'm an infil at heart after all. Now all we need is an infiltrator class.
Old 2013-04-19, 03:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Nur
Sergeant

The LA is already tactically OP. It deserved at least the sound of the jetpack.

It is quite fun also hearing the "bang" every time, but I think it is also quite distracting.

We all must get used to it.
Old 2013-04-19, 03:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by NapalmEnima View Post
C4 with jump jets are HUGE.
No, they really aren't. They are a niche, one-trick pony.

Turrets are your BITCH.
Oh hey, congrats. You managed to take out a single turret, one of those things people almost never use anyway due to the conception that they are death-traps and redundant now that anyone can be a heavy assault and be granted access to the best AA in the game, and which can be repaired in 30 seconds as soon as you leave.

And you can hop down, restock, and come back up again. YOUR BITCH!
Yeah man! You can hop down and huff it all the way back to your sunderer, hoping you don't get shot to pieces on the way there, and hoping that your sunderer is still there in the first place. And then, once you re-stock, you can huff it allll the way back to your troll position, again hoping you don't get shot in the process or that the area isn't swarming with enemies now. Talk about efficiency.

Vertical flanking is pretty huge too. LA can get up on the roof where a lot of normal cover is worthless.
Yep! And you can even get four or five kills before you run out of ammo and become completely useless. That'll really help out in a battle where the enemy respawns infinitely and numbers in the multiple dozens.

Let's not kid ourselves here. Light Assault is the only class I play on my NC account (it's my favorite in the game with medic as a close second), but I have no problem admitting that it's an extremely niche and ultimately irrelevant class. It's utility isn't nearly as widespread as that of the "holy trinity" classes: Medic, Heavy Assault, Engineer. As far as "okay guys, time to defend/assault this base. Everyone change to ____", Light Assault joins the Infiltrator in the ass-tier.

- - - - -

I don't really care a whole lot about the jetpacks suddenly being loud, no one ever pays to attention to noise in this game anyway since battles are always so loud. It's undeniable that this is a straight nerf to a class that isn't all that useful as it is, though. "If you want to infiltrate, play an infiltrator!" is all well and good except that infiltrator is the only thing Light Assault is good at. Making one class more useless to make an equally useless class seem not quite as useless isn't logical. If people want infiltrator to be played, the secret is to give the infiltrator utility that actually makes it useful.

Last edited by BlaxicanX; 2013-04-19 at 03:43 AM.
Old 2013-04-19, 03:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

The only thing that I have an "issue" with is that the "bang" seems to be just a wee bit delayed.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-04-19, 03:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Snydenthur
Master Sergeant

I didn't hear anything new in the game last night. I guess I have to remember this today and see how loud it is then. I use my sounds a lot while playing, so it's funny that I didn't hear it. :O
Old 2013-04-19, 05:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Tom Peters
Master Sergeant

Most players don't even make good use of sound.
Old 2013-04-19, 05:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

Indeed. Very rarely do most people ever pay attention to the background noise. If anything, the only did they do is when there is none and there suddenly there is.

In the middle of a battle you'll probably be hearing that bang 30 times, and the majority of those times will be from your own allied LA.
Old 2013-04-19, 06:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
HiroshiChugi
Captain

I haven't played the new update a lot yet, so I didn't get a chance to hear the jump jets' new sound(s). But I'm sure that they are well overdue. Why complain? You have next to no control over it (besides coming up here, complaining, and HOPING that the devs read your complaint and see it viable enough to fix it), so it's pointless to argue about it... ;P

Plus, I'm pretty sure that the devs only pay attention to posts by higher ranking forum users (Seargent Major and higher maybe?) and higher ranking BRs when deciding what change to implement next...
Old 2013-04-19, 07:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by HiroshiChugi View Post
I haven't played the new update a lot yet, so I didn't get a chance to hear the jump jets' new sound(s). -snip-

Plus, I'm pretty sure that the devs only pay attention to posts by higher ranking forum users (Seargent Major and higher maybe?) and higher ranking BRs when deciding what change to implement next...
I switched to LA last night and was initially startled by the new noise, but it is on no great concern; didn't stop me jetting up and over the rooftops to drop C4 on a Sunderer...

And your second paragraph - where did you get that idea from? There's plenty of rubbish posted by some of the so called higher ranking forum users (no names mentioned). I'm sure that the devs are more discerning; certainly hope so!
Old 2013-04-19, 07:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
HiroshiChugi
Captain

Originally Posted by psijaka View Post
your second paragraph - where did you get that idea from? There's plenty of rubbish posted by some of the so called higher ranking forum users (no names mentioned). I'm sure that the devs are more discerning; certainly hope so!
I don't know, I've just noticed that thing that the higher up people suggested got implemented, but not the lower ranking ones. Plus I think I saw someone mention it before, but don't quote me on that one. :P
Old 2013-04-19, 07:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by BlaxicanX View Post
No, they really aren't. They are a niche, one-trick pony.

-snip-

Let's not kid ourselves here. Light Assault is the only class I play on my NC account (it's my favorite in the game with medic as a close second), but I have no problem admitting that it's an extremely niche and ultimately irrelevant class. It's utility isn't nearly as widespread as that of the "holy trinity" classes: Medic, Heavy Assault, Engineer. As far as "okay guys, time to defend/assault this base. Everyone change to ____", Light Assault joins the Infiltrator in the ass-tier.
I lol when you say that LAs are a one trick pony and then go on to say that it is your favourite class.

And the last comment quoted is simply untrue; LA + C4 is excellent for taking out that hidden Sunderer, can really rip the heart out of an attack.
Old 2013-04-19, 07:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by HiroshiChugi View Post
I don't know, I've just noticed that thing that the higher up people suggested got implemented, but not the lower ranking ones. Plus I think I saw someone mention it before, but don't quote me on that one. :P
I would agree that some of the so called "higher up" people do put forward some valid points in an eloquent manner, but I would like to think that it is this that get's their posts noticed, rather than their forum rank.

I'm a great disrespecter of forum rank in any case, what does it means other than that someone has put up a lot of posts?
Old 2013-04-19, 07:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
HiroshiChugi
Captain

Originally Posted by psijaka View Post
I would agree that some of the so called "higher up" people do put forward some valid points in an eloquent manner, but I would like to think that it is this that get's their posts noticed, rather than their forum rank.

I'm a great disrespecter of forum rank in any case, what does it means other than that someone has put up a lot of posts?
I know what you mean... Honestly, I don't take lower-ranking posts seriously unless I know it's someone with either an extremely valid point, or a higher BR for some reason... GAH! I need to stop being so skeptical of lower ranks. >_<
Old 2013-04-19, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
ThatGoatGuy
First Sergeant

IMHO, I absolutely love the new sound. No one is able to hear it still, so it doesn't deny me anything in the long run. I find it as a buff because I get to hear this badass BANG every time I take off. And for those who do hear it-they know that they are about to die >=D
Old 2013-04-19, 08:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
You have to work for it google for like 5 seconds.
Or just quote your post be a genius like myself!

Originally Posted by Emperor Newt View Post
I would like something like that. A little bit more of faction specific flavor would be nice for the game.
Plus one for Vanu Dub-step Sub-woofer Jet Packs!

WUBWUB-WUBWUBWUB!

Originally Posted by Tom Peters View Post
Most players don't even make good use of sound.
I can hear them... I CAN HEAR THE ENEMY!!!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion