Running Out Of Rescources - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because you can see the flames from orbit.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-16, 07:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
PredatorFour
Major

Running Out Of Rescources

With PS 2 the devs have stressed alot of emphasis on wanting to get people to the fight quick because the players might get bored travelling to the fight.
My thoughts are what will these types of players think when we run outta rescources and cant pull our best equipment ??

This takes me back to before the black ops event in PS(correct me if im wrong) the one where we had to unlock vehicles by fighting in the caves, starting at the ant working up to tech vehicles. The VS on Werner were stuck on ant / lightning for about a week while we were gettin raped by the other empires tech vehicles which was ..... fun lol.

So if this happens say to the VS on indar after the other two empires gang up on them the average joe is going to be like " i cant be arsed with this " and log off thinking its crap. Luckily in PS the event only lasted around 2/3 weeks i think, whereas this could happen alot in PS 2.

So what if we store rescources by capturing land that gives rescources then say caping the bio dome near to it which enables it to store the gathered goods for say 48 hours or something?

What you guys think? is this even an issue ??
Old 2012-04-16, 07:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Fenrod
Sergeant

Misc Info
Re: Running Out Of Rescources

I don't understand everything, but I believe there will be enough resources for each faction anyway. No need to worry.
Old 2012-04-16, 07:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Well, If you getting your ass kicked that bad. You could always pull off to another continent that does have resources. Build up a huge invasion force with what you need. Return to said continent that you where getting stomped on and reclaim what is rightfully yours. The end result you have your resources back or you get your ass beat again and they kick you back off the continent.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-04-16 at 07:19 AM.
Old 2012-04-16, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Fenrod View Post
I don't understand everything, but I believe there will be enough resources for each faction anyway. No need to worry.
No, Higby has stated that you could essential starve empires of resources effectively cutting them off from a certain type of vehicle/side grade for their weapons.

Old 2012-04-16, 07:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
HellsPanda
Corporal

As I understand it, you can if you can secure every resource node for long enough for players to run out of resources, but this will be less of a chance of happening the longer the game runs. As people are likely to end up with a massive store of resources
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-16, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

It not only can happen in PS2 - it is encouraged. Resource deprivation is an intended tactic in PS2, much like dropping/capping a Tech plant to deprive tech vehicles was in PS1.

Higby's quite enthusiastic about it, talking about it from the earliest presentations of PS2. From what I've gathered the intended solution to this running-out-of-resources problem is going to another continent to rebuild your supply and then returning to try to push out. The presence of the 3rd empire also comes into play, presumably because while a dominant empire pushes you back the other empire is fighting them just as you are. I think in most cases this might be enough to combat the resource disadvantage since the attacker is fighting a two-front war. But if they succeed in pushing many/most of one faction off then nothing will stop them doing the same to the remaining empire.

The problem described is the other side of the rich-get-richer problem, which is the poor get poorer. Because you lack resources to buy upgrades you are less effective against the enemy who does, which causes further territory loss. Meanwhile resource deprivation becomes an ineffective tactic against the enemy who has a ton of resources.

The deprivation tactic is most effective in a stalemate where any edge might help tip the scale, or when trying to force an enemy off the continent by creating resource famine.

I made a thread about it a while back if you're interested in further reading.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=39921
Old 2012-04-16, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sheppe
Private

Press Enter,

Type: Show me the money

Press Enter
Old 2012-04-16, 10:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Alduron
Sergeant

They want you to be able to deprive the enemy of certain resources that are required to build different vehicles, but I'd have to assume that they would have a set of base equipment that you can spawn if you had 0 resources.

I believe resource deprivation tactic is just in place to deny enemies advanced weapons/vehicles.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-16, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I think it's safe to assume that every infantry kit (except perhaps MAX) have a zero-resource cost loadout. Basic AV & AA weaponry should also have a zero cost loadout so someone completely deprived can at least fight back.

Vehicle-wise I expect the Flash (ATV) might cost zero resources un-upgraded as an always-available mode of transportation.

Everything else probably costs resources. I'm just speculating but I don't see any other way resources are important without them being required for most of the stuff you want to use.
Old 2012-04-16, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

imo it's an interesting tactic. And the more tactical options we have, the better... for the whole game. Provided the tactics available aren't lame :P But that's up to the devs to not screw up And ofc up to us players not to exploit and the like...
Old 2012-04-16, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

With all the other changes they are making. I bet you can not run out ( Completely that is. The Equivalent of getting pushed off a cont and locked out, or scanced ). They won't want anyone left out after all, its the new modern game design. You can't fail.
Old 2012-04-16, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
waldizzo
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by HellsPanda View Post
As I understand it, you can if you can secure every resource node for long enough for players to run out of resources, but this will be less of a chance of happening the longer the game runs. As people are likely to end up with a massive store of resources
I believe SOE has said in the past that there will be a cap on how many resources a player can have at one time.
Old 2012-04-16, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
No, Higby has stated that you could essential starve empires of resources effectively cutting them off from a certain type of vehicle/side grade for their weapons.
I certainly hope so. Would hate, after all that work, to see it casualized to where you can't starve out the enemy.

I'm assuming that for example, they can still pull tanks but not buy upgrades. Just how powerful are vehicle unlocks and how weak would the default gun be?
Old 2012-04-16, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Graywolves
General

If they have resource nodes located near the footholds/warpgates, then I think that an empire will be able to pull something as long as they are not forced all the way into their foothold.

Even then, you could just leak certain resources to them people will still be able to pull some things, although limited.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion