Gameplay: Max Unit Shield - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Begging on the streets to support the trolls.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-08, 09:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Zekeen
Major

Re: Max Unit Shield

Ok, here's another shield concept. I kept it simple, because that's how the Terran are. A simple reinforced Terran MAX shield.

Last edited by Zekeen; 2012-06-08 at 09:15 PM.
Old 2012-06-08, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Kriegson
Master Sergeant

I loved the capabilities a shield might bring, but honestly I've hardly seen any game get them quite right. Either they are impenetrable portable walls, or a big hunk of metal made useless due to the fact your character constantly has some vitals exposed.

But with MAX's being rather tanky, and the simple but effective tradeoff of protection vs dps, I think it's a great idea. Still somewhat vulnerable to AV weapons, but would be much harder to spray down with AI guns. Also could protect the head to some degree in a raised state to protect the weakest point.
Old 2012-06-09, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Nice and simple for the TR, can't wait to see the massive NC shield as that'll be the one I'll use
Old 2012-06-09, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Wayside
Contributor
Corporal

Thumbs up Re: Max Unit Shield

Originally Posted by PlaceboCyanide View Post
It might already be too late to see something like this on release day, but maybe post-release. Anyways, I'm curious if SOE has ever considered giving MAX units an actual, physical shield. Well, Physical for TR and NC at least, I imagine the Vanu will have some fancy force-shield. Customizing your max to substitute one (both would be a bit silly) of your guns for a large tower shield. The ability to trade out some of your firepower for additional health/armor would open up more options and gameplay styles. For instance: a coordinated squad use maxes like this in base assaults as a way of providing a moving wall of cover for the infantry behind them.

What do you guys think? Yay or Nay?
I think thats a killer idea with one addition: The ability to "deploy" the shield. So, for TR and NC physical shields, the Max might slam the shield into the ground, have it unfold or unpack a bit, and suddenly offer a make-shift barricade that nearby players could get behind. VS shield would probably be energy based, so it might just "grow" into a crescent shape in front of the MAX.

Trade a weapon to become a mobile defensive position. Several MAX's work in conjunction to create a phalanx of sorts. Dig it!
Old 2012-06-09, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Wayside View Post
I think thats a killer idea with one addition: The ability to "deploy" the shield. So, for TR and NC physical shields, the Max might slam the shield into the ground, have it unfold or unpack a bit, and suddenly offer a make-shift barricade that nearby players could get behind. VS shield would probably be energy based, so it might just "grow" into a crescent shape in front of the MAX.

Trade a weapon to become a mobile defensive position. Several MAX's work in conjunction to create a phalanx of sorts. Dig it!
I was thinking of something similar, but it was too similar to the TR-specific "lockdown" ability. That on the other hand is pretty awesome. Imagine a Shield-Max and an Engineer working next to each other to hold down or bust in corridors. I really like the possibilities of that. The only downside is when the max deploys the shield he would be at quite a disadvantage if he were to let all the other infantry hog the shield. He would need the ability to pick it back up-- assuming the shield isn't destroyed when deployed.
Old 2012-06-09, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Wayside
Contributor
Corporal

I was thinking of something similar, but it was too similar to the TR-specific "lockdown" ability. That on the other hand is pretty awesome. Imagine a Shield-Max and an Engineer working next to each other to hold down or bust in corridors. I really like the possibilities of that. The only downside is when the max deploys the shield he would be at quite a disadvantage if he were to let all the other infantry hog the shield. He would need the ability to pick it back up-- assuming the shield isn't destroyed when deployed.
Agreed. Deploying that shield for your fellow soldiers benefits them, but roots you in place by necessity. They need something stable to get behind so you can't be moving around while its out. And I was certainly envisioning a "toggle" ability. Unpack your shield, you and your squad clear a hall, pack it up and move to the next room.

One of the reasons this appeals to me is that it gives the MAX something more to offer a squad. It's no longer just a soldier putting on heavy armor and grabbing a big gun for his or her own use. Now its a soldier that can actively contribute to the tactics and survival of the group as a whole. And that tactics bit is an important piece of keeping the game interesting. Where do you deploy that shield? When do you pick it back up? Who's got your back while you plant yourself in that hallway?

It's good stuff from any angle.
Old 2012-06-10, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=42543

Lulz were had
Old 2012-06-10, 10:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
Ok, here's another shield concept. I kept it simple, because that's how the Terran are. A simple reinforced Terran MAX shield.

The TR would not have such an unprofessional looking piece of equipment. NC maybe.
Old 2012-06-10, 11:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
The TR would not have such an unprofessional looking piece of equipment. NC maybe.
Ya know, you're right, so I'm gonna work on ANOTHER concept redesign with a few TR style improvements. TR might be basic, but they also accessorize their gear to last longer and perform more duties, so I got something sketched up that will look cool.
Old 2012-06-11, 12:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Wayside
Contributor
Corporal

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7043/6...6dd27154_z.jpg

What is that, a shield for ANTS?!? The MAX shield would have to be...at least...THREE TIMES that big.
Old 2012-06-11, 12:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Zekeen
Major

Here we go, a PROFESSIONAL looking TR shield.

It comes with a SLEEK body, a face shield for added head protection, and even an equipped ammo grip for ease reload when you only got one hand to do so.

Because Terran Republic soldiers are all about the extra functionality.

I am now ashamed of my last attempt....

Last edited by Zekeen; 2012-06-11 at 12:20 AM.
Old 2012-06-11, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Kriegson
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
Here we go, a PROFESSIONAL looking TR shield.

It comes with a SLEEK body, a face shield for added head protection, and even an equipped ammo grip for ease reload when you only got one hand to do so.

Because Terran Republic soldiers are all about the extra functionality.

I am now ashamed of my last attempt....
Oooh, I like. Doesn't quite fit the aesthetic of TR though, not rounded enough imo, but close enough.

Note that there aren't really many points aside from the bottom "prongs" on the shield, and there's even 3/4 of a circle integrated into the design that manages to "fit" in a shape that is essentially a rectangle with negative space.

The knee and shoulder plates are also a good basis I would think.

Though ultimately this is just how I would go about doing it. I'm far too lazy and untalented to draw something anywhere near your first attempt, much less the second :P

Last edited by Kriegson; 2012-06-11 at 11:41 AM.
Old 2012-06-11, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Zekeen
Major

I could teach a monkey to do art like I do, it's very easy. It's just setting down some boxes with a tool, filling in with a flat color, and shading, which is very easy and gets addictive. You'd be surprised.

Yes, it isn't QUITE TR style, but that's hard to reach when trying to do rounded shapes and a shield. I ignored doing a few imposing add on in order to just concentrate on not botching it up, but it is rather rounded anyways. The problem is that TR is rounded plates stuck together, and that's hard to do for a shield. Still, it's one of my best works yet, so it's not getting a third, at least for now, hehe.
Old 2012-06-11, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Purple View Post
if this happen then they would have to make sure any kind of mele on maxes are disabled. we dont want to see a munch of warriors running around.
What... no shield slam?

I support this idea for MAXes, and perhaps even riot shields for Engineers and Medics, but they have to use a pistol with it.

Oh and the shield only provides full frontal protection when 'iron sighting' a la SWAT.

Last edited by Baneblade; 2012-06-11 at 12:17 PM.
Old 2012-06-11, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Generic response of approval. Customary "+1" to follow.

+1

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault