Give Infiltrators the Ability to disguise as Enemy - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Fact or Myth: Vanu Blood is purple.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 1.78 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-22, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Marsgrim
Sergeant

Give Infiltrators the Ability to disguise as Enemy

I couldn't find anything on this subject via search or suggested topics, but how would people feel about giving the Infiltrator an ability to disguise as an enemy faction through one of the cert trees? Obviously this is similar to the Spy in Team Fortress.

This could be limited to no cloak, short range weapons only or whatever else to allow balance or put into the hacking tree - e.g. hacking cert tree could lose cloak for the ability to disguise as an enemy. Disguise would be limited to a cert tree that enabled hacking.
Old 2012-06-22, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Re: Give Infiltrators the Ability to disguise as Enemy

This would be impossible because of two reasons.

1) Teams are 300+ players and not 16 players

2) Friendly fire.
Old 2012-06-22, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Razicator
First Sergeant

Anybody else play Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory way back? Awesome free game with the best mods. Hell, I remember there was a fun mod where the bazooka would shoot 18 rockets at the same time haha!

But yeah the spy class (forgot the name) had the option to steal the uniform of dead enemies, leaving behind a corpse in underwear. Unranked players, when mousing over the disguise, will not see a friendly name and thus can tell it was an enemy. This is because friendly names were not displayed above one's head like Counterstrike, but only over mouseover. Ranked up players could see the enemy's name on mouseover in red, making it even more obvious. Ranked spies though would display the green name of the person they took the uniform of, so you had to rely on looking at the spy's weapon (kept the spy-specific weapon) and looking at his behavior. Disguise was lost upon being hit by a single bullet by the enemy, unless the spy was ranked I think. The best way to check was to look at your map; if the "friendly" isn't appearing on the map where he is, then it's an enemy.

Something like this would be interesting and fairly balanced IMO. Disguises would never last and any veteran player could see right through, but it enabled a certain camouflage by blending in the enemy at a cursory glance, kind of like mimicry seen in the insect world.

Last edited by Razicator; 2012-06-22 at 08:56 AM.
Old 2012-06-22, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
IgloGlass
Master Sergeant

I like the idea and unlike the guy above I think this is a very good and plausible idea! If balanced properly it should definetely be put in!
Old 2012-06-22, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I think this option could be cool, however the reasons listed by Thermal will cause major issues.
Old 2012-06-22, 08:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
zomg
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I think this option could be cool, however the reasons listed by Thermal will cause major issues.
I don't really see how team size is going to cause problems with this, but I can see how friendly fire could. Paranoid players shooting each other with FF on... It would ruin things a lot.
Old 2012-06-22, 09:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
TeaLeaf
Corporal

I think this would only really be balanced if
1) You look like an enemy to your allies and they don't get penalized for gunning you down.
2) You have to steal a uniform first.
3) Enemies could reveal you by putting you under their crosshair for a certain amount of time.

Honestly though in a game with friendly fire this would probably cause too many gameplay issues compared to what it adds to the game.

EDIT: After reading the above post about ET I've got all nostalgic and feel a feature like this would be pretty cool. As long as it is easy to spot a spy up close and you don't need to shoot people to spy check.

Last edited by TeaLeaf; 2012-06-22 at 09:05 AM.
Old 2012-06-22, 09:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Marsgrim
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ThermalReaper View Post
This would be impossible because of two reasons.

1) Teams are 300+ players and not 16 players

2) Friendly fire.
I'm not sure the team size would be relevant - beyond making a spy harder to spot immediately. We don't know what will be hackable, but if base defense turrets and vehicles are hackable then watching someone lurking near them to try and hack would alert suspicion.

Secondly - TFC was Friendly fire by default and the Spy mechanic was the same - essentially spy checks were implemented - the Spy had to fire their weapon (which removed disguise) or get shot if acting suspiciously. Grief could be disabled on friendly infils for example if checks were an issue.

Last edited by Marsgrim; 2012-06-22 at 09:02 AM.
Old 2012-06-22, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Marsgrim View Post
I'm not sure the team size would be relevant - beyond making a spy harder to spot immediately. We don't know what will be hackable, but if base defense turrets and vehicles are hackable then watching someone lurking near them to try and hack would alert suspicion.

Secondly - TFC was Friendly fire by default and the Spy mechanic was the same - essentially spy checks were implemented - the Spy had to fire their weapon (which removed disguise) or get shot if acting suspiciously. Grief could be disabled on friendly infils for example if checks were an issue.
Team size and map size would be relevant because it'll be impossible to actually keep track of whom you've seen twice.
You could disguise as someone and just move along while the real person is across the continent.
Also as for friendly fire, I doubt all the 10 or more players you spychecked are willing to forgive you.
Old 2012-06-22, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by zomg View Post
I don't really see how team size is going to cause problems with this, but I can see how friendly fire could. Paranoid players shooting each other with FF on... It would ruin things a lot.
What I am worried about is massive disguise going on with like 50+ people and people being paranoid. Like someone else mentioned the disguise issue I am worried about can be solved with making sure you loot the guys uniform after hes dead. FF I don't see how you can fix. It already awful in TF2 with everyone spy checking. I cannot imagine it on a scale like PS2, and TF2 does not have FF which helps a lot. How are we supposed to counter this disguise if we can't shoot them. You can pick out a bad spy in TF2, but with hundres of people running around you in PS2 not so much.

I'm not worried about FF on the cloakers side either. But for people on the enemy side. Just make it obvious to people on the cloakers friendly side that its their team member like its done in TF2.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-06-22 at 09:07 AM.
Old 2012-06-22, 09:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Luieburger
Sergeant

This is not TF2. FF is on.

No.
Old 2012-06-22, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Exmortius
Master Sergeant

hmmm a spy dynamic would make things interesting no doubt. would definitely be worth looking into imo not sure how they could implement that but definitely interesting concept.
Old 2012-06-22, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Bazilx
First Sergeant

At first I was skeptical but with this:

Originally Posted by TeaLeaf View Post
I think this would only really be balanced if
1) You look like an enemy to your allies and they don't get penalized for gunning you down.
2) You have to steal a uniform first.
3) Enemies could reveal you by putting you under their crosshair for a certain amount of time.
I believe it could work

Originally Posted by Luieburger View Post
This is not TF2. FF is on.
Good, that will make it far more satisfying and interesting if they simply add a mechanic for spotting a spy which means you can't just randomly shoot people and catch a spy.
Old 2012-06-22, 09:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
kadrin
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ThermalReaper View Post
2) Friendly fire.
That's all that really needs to be said.
Old 2012-06-22, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

How long are we talking here to see if that player is a spy by doing pointing your gun at them?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault