Give Infiltrators the Ability to disguise as Enemy - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Will be your friend for a dollar.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 1.78 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-06-22, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Re: Give Infiltrators the Ability to disguise as Enemy

Originally Posted by Kalbuth View Post
I can understand the many FF incidents comments.
I understand less the outcry about "OMG NEVAH TF2 L4ME SPY" from people who didn't even bother reading the thread.

For the reading inepts : proposal is not about bringing TF2 Spy in the game.
Nigh invisibility is quite sufficient on its own, especially since cloakers actually get damage mitigation in PS2 (via shields).
Old 2012-06-22, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Infil suit didnt have any armor in PS1... haven't heard about PS2 though, but I doubt it. Or are there some other sort of shield you're refering to?
Old 2012-06-22, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

mite work,,,,,,, but id say they have to give up cloaking for it. cant have both....
Old 2012-06-22, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Kalbuth View Post
I can understand the many FF incidents comments.
I understand less the outcry about "OMG NEVAH TF2 L4ME SPY" from people who didn't even bother reading the thread.

For the reading inepts : proposal is not about bringing TF2 Spy in the game.
Then why is TF the reference game used in the first alinea of the OP's post? Sorry Kal, but you need to read better. :/
Old 2012-06-22, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
Infil suit didnt have any armor in PS1... haven't heard about PS2 though, but I doubt it. Or are there some other sort of shield you're refering to?
Everyone's got regenerating shields, so cloakers have slightly more survivability than in their prior incarnation.
Old 2012-06-22, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Cufox
Private

It is an interesting idea on the surface, but after some thought I wonder if there is any real benefit to being seen as a member of the opposition over being invisible. Maybe a higher cert that impedes darklight's range or ability to spoof scanners like decoys, but not "spy" uniforms.
Old 2012-06-22, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Karmic Revenge
Corporal

Please no. This is totally not necessary, and is a mechanic best left in a small-scale game like TF2.
Old 2012-06-22, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
TeaLeaf
Corporal

Originally Posted by Cufox View Post
It is an interesting idea on the surface, but after some thought I wonder if there is any real benefit to being seen as a member of the opposition over being invisible. Maybe a higher cert that impedes darklight's range or ability to spoof scanners like decoys, but not "spy" uniforms.
Lasts longer than cloak (several minutes at least instead of seconds) and still allows you to carry a full compliment of gear? I could see its uses if you want to remain incognito for long periods of time without stopping to recharge your cloak. Also causes more chaos and confusion than a regular cloaker.

The FF concerns are a bit of a non-issue. As many people have said it can be made easy to tell a spy by just paying attention for a few seconds rather than forcing you to shoot them.

Last edited by TeaLeaf; 2012-06-22 at 06:57 PM.
Old 2012-06-22, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Papscal
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Marsgrim View Post
I couldn't find anything on this subject via search or suggested topics, but how would people feel about giving the Infiltrator an ability to disguise as an enemy faction through one of the cert trees? Obviously this is similar to the Spy in Team Fortress.

This could be limited to no cloak, short range weapons only or whatever else to allow balance or put into the hacking tree - e.g. hacking cert tree could lose cloak for the ability to disguise as an enemy. Disguise would be limited to a cert tree that enabled hacking.
Go back to Team Fortress. Dont turn this into an arcade toon fest.
Old 2012-06-23, 02:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Zekeen
Major

This has been discussed before, many times in fact, and just does not fit in PS2.

You ever play TF2? Know why they have flamethrowers and disguise spies? Because they don't have FF on ever. In PS2, think of what it'll be like, taking an area, and a double Flamethrower MAX doing a "Spy check". Disguise just is terrible. There's so many players you wouldn't be able to "decipher" the spy. It's too overpowered for a MMO.
Old 2012-06-23, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Razicator View Post
But yeah the spy class (forgot the name)
"I'm a Covert Ops!"
Old 2012-06-23, 10:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
inspades
Private

Just no.

I can't speak for ET, but in tf2, people regularly shoot each other to spycheck. It is a hair short of TF2 player instinct. There is balance in this, because disguises can be countered without fear of hurting your teammates, and no grief system to punish you should that happen.

If balanced disguises are ever in PS2, it will have absolutely nothing in common with disguises in TF2
Old 2012-06-24, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
WarbirdTD
Corporal

Oh God no. What a nightmare.
Old 2012-06-27, 06:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
akiadan
Private

It's an okay idea but not one I'd like to see in game.
There would be much "Guilty by suspicion" and a lot of TK for the sake of "Spy Check". It works in other games pretty well but I don't see it having much room in Planetside, cloaking is enough for me I can get the job done just fine.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault