What is the plan to get new players in the game and make them grow as a GOOD teamPlay - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 1,000,893...and you thought your grief points were high.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-24, 01:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Stew
Major

What is the plan to get new players in the game and make them grow as a GOOD teamPlay

From the start i have to say that most of you at least the major part of this forums is composed of Old planetside players like i was but stop playing it for quiet a while now havent play the original since 5 years now !

But ..
I was wondering whats you guys and whats the dev team are going to do to get people in the games ...

In orders to suceeds the veterans and people who know a lots about team works and leadership have to do something to get new players interested and well assisted in this kinda games ...

people will say we dont need COD like players etc.. But your wrong because those guys are numbers and sometime they are really good at shooting and have good infantry reflex etc...

I will say thats we need something a planned to train all thoses guys to show them whats is team work whats is big strategies in an MMo games and to SHOW them how fun it could be

I would like to see the vets helping cod kids who want to try out this game not trash talking them and making them quit !

in order to succeed we need quantum numbers of players and cosmetics buyers !

so i hope the dev team and the big clans out there have some planned to help the new commers in this game

So they will not feel lost and not important !

whats you guys think ?
Old 2012-03-24, 01:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Tcakes
Corporal

Re: What is the plan to get new players in the game and make them grow as a GOOD team

lots and lots of trolling, but with love. huge hugs, punch and pie and big ol' shiny gold sticky stars. truth of the matter to me seems that's what outfits are for. the ones that want to get involved and play as a team will. the rest well, it's a ftp game and there are going to be a mother butt ton of typical snert kids. especially in the beginning. it's a game, have fun with it and do what you will.
Old 2012-03-24, 03:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Re: What is the plan to get new players in the game and make them grow as a GOOD team

It won't take long before the more dominant outfits start flexing their muscles and showing off.

Then all the little zerglings will want to be part of that. Then we'll end up with the bloat outfits that have "zergy" crew and the hardcore "special ops" crew who are all promoted based on how much they suck up to the outfit leader and not on ability.

Then the guys with the ability but not the nepotism will splinter off and make their own "invite only" outfits who'll get things done.

seen it a million times before.
Old 2012-03-24, 04:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

A: Outfits.
Old 2012-03-24, 05:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bazilx
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
I would like to see the vets helping cod kids who want to try out this game not trash talking them and making them quit !
Wait, sorry but: You foresee US trashtalking THEM?

I get the mental image of a father leading his son to his favourite hangout place when he was young only to have the kid start screaming at how much it sucks and how much of a homosexual the father is and how he should go and have sexual intercourse with a rake and then how his mother sucks a huge... etc etc

I guess we can only wait and see, I have my finger on the mic-mute button just in case.

Last edited by Bazilx; 2012-03-24 at 05:26 AM.
Old 2012-03-24, 05:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

The best way for PlanetSide "vets" to help get new players in is to drop the shit attitude. PlanetSide 2 will have far more in common (in terms of gun-play, etc) with CoD/BF3 than it does with PlanetSide 1. The original PS peaked at about what... 60,000 subscribers back in 2003? CoD and BF3 both have millions. The "veterans" will be minorities and judging from the way the game is being designed they will be treated as such.

If this game is a success it will have more people playing who've never even heard of the original PlanetSide. The only way you're going to help get the type of players you want is to have a strong and organized outfit that has a clearly defined set of goals and a clearly defined play style that you enjoy.
Old 2012-03-24, 05:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
megamold
Second Lieutenant

what i think will happens is the same thing that happened with BF3

the game will release and the cod players will come test the water.
the first few weeks the game will be filled with people with no clue about tactics and you will see lots of players just rushing round doing nothing of value, getting shot over and over since they have no concept of patience and cover.

after a short time the cod players with either
A: get pissed of that this is not cod with bigger maps and go back to cod
or
B: adapt to the game and get interested in the tactics of it and turn out to be your regular ps2 player

Last edited by megamold; 2012-03-24 at 05:26 AM.
Old 2012-03-27, 11:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by megamold View Post
what i think will happens is the same thing that happened with BF3

the game will release and the cod players will come test the water.
the first few weeks the game will be filled with people with no clue about tactics and you will see lots of players just rushing round doing nothing of value, getting shot over and over since they have no concept of patience and cover.

after a short time the cod players with either
A: get pissed of that this is not cod with bigger maps and go back to cod
or
B: adapt to the game and get interested in the tactics of it and turn out to be your regular ps2 player
If this happen and if this you wish to happen to this game the game will die fast and the suport will be a thing from the past this game required a huge player based to justified is existance ! If there is just a few Ps1 vets the money will not be there SOE will have to cut the game and soon the game and the servers will be shut down SOE enployee will loose their job etc.. so

I guess u take back whats u just said
Old 2012-03-24, 07:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Stardouser
Colonel

The first step, at least for me, is as soon as open beta hits and confirms this is a game I want to play (for indeed, to jump out on ledges pushing the game to the BF community BEFORE that is confirmed would be foolish), is to start making posts and videos explaining what PS2 has that BF3 has failed- such as in-game VOIP, proper squads, large maps(by the very definition of the game, this should be taken care of).

A good bit of BF players are against future theme even if they aren't CoD meatgrinders, so that's a concern too.

And then once these people get in the game, they need training and help from PS vets so that they don't get overwhelmed. A lot of them need to see the Outfit system with outfit chat and everything, because that is kind of clan support many people have been advocating from Battlefield for a long time and don't receive.
Old 2012-03-24, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Crator
Major General

BF and CoD didn't completely lack tactical play, did they?
Old 2012-03-24, 08:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
not when played competitevly, but they did lack these aspects in general server play.
in ps2 you need to be tactical to win so its constantly there.

the thing is that the zerg wont notice these tactics so much if they dont pay attention, yet they will still be using the tactics as they will be doing the missions set by the commanders.
Old 2012-03-24, 08:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
I can't speak for CoD...as for BF, BF3 has taken away in-game VOIP, shrunk the maps so that there's a lot less point in using tactics other than CHARGE! And the game is filled with 3D spotting, killcam, and audiospotting, which cause players to go off playing deathmatch even in Conquest, which is a game mode in which you are supposed to cap flags.

Now, BF3 also mangled the commo rose and minimap but that actually might change in the upcoming patch. It's part of the patch notes.

One other important thing missing in BF3 is the Orders Rose. In BF2, the orders rose allowed you to order your squad to ANYWHERE, with orders such as attack/defend/destroy/repair. BF3 lets you do only one thing: Issue an order to go directly to a flag. If you own the flag it is a defend order, if not it's an attack order. That's it. You can't order your squad to do anything else. If you know there's a tank or infantry concentration on the other side of a building or other hard cover? Too bad, you can't issue a waypoint to your squad to go attack that spot. You either have to beg your squad to go into teamspeak with you, or you have to type to them in chat. And even if they are in teamspeak with you, it still would have been easier if you could issue a waypoint.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-03-24 at 08:09 AM.
Old 2012-03-24, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

The most foreign concept I see for other FPS players joining are the objectives, the mass organization, continental tactics.

I think the mission system is one of the tools intended to teach new people. Instead of just finding some people to shoot, they can pick a Mission from a Commander.

And the best way to get a lot of team play, is an outfit.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2012-03-24, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

It's not the responsibility of old players to make new players interested. It's the responsibility of the game, the key being that the game has to engage and hook the player within the first ten minutes of play.

The key this is intuitive, the game has to get the player into the action and knowing precisely what they're doing and why as quickly as possible, provided it does this there'll be absolutely no problem.

Tapatalk.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-24, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

Know what's funny about this thread? Go back in time to 2003 and replace CoD/BF3 with Counter-Strike and it'd be virtually the same. PS1 was no shining pinnacle of PUG team work and organization. It took outfits to find and bring together the team-play oriented players not the game. Hell, the game for the longest time favored individual game-play over organized team-play.

Also modern games such as BF3 actually have more (and better) team-play elements than the orignal PS1 did. Sure it's 9 or so years later but please don't paint these modern games with your shit covered brush.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion