What is the plan to get new players in the game and make them grow as a GOOD teamPlay - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please! Not the exo suit! Not teh exosuit!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-24, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
PrISM
Staff Sergeant

Re: What is the plan to get new players in the game and make them grow as a GOOD team

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
people will say we dont need COD like players etc.. But your wrong because those guys are numbers and sometime they are really good at shooting and have good infantry reflex etc...

I will say thats we need something a planned to train all thoses guys to show them whats is team work whats is big strategies in an MMo games and to SHOW them how fun it could be

I would like to see the vets helping cod kids who want to try out this game not trash talking them and making them quit !
Why is it our responsibility to help these people? If they come in with the stereotypical COD additude, they probably aren't going to bother to learn the game's mechanics, get bored and quit after a short time. I really don't think the game needs those kinds of players. However, those that come and are truly intrigued by the game and want to get better, they're probably smart enough to figure out what they need to do; starting with finding a good outfit to join up with.
Old 2012-03-24, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: What is the plan to get new players in the game and make them grow as a GOOD team

A: PlanetsideTV. We will be exploring every nook and cranny of the new world of Auraxis. Just like we are still doing with Planetside 1.

And that's the point to try and get the word out there!

(regardless of what a few may think, that is the point in PTV)
Old 2012-03-24, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by PrISM View Post
Why is it our responsibility to help these people? If they come in with the stereotypical COD additude, they probably aren't going to bother to learn the game's mechanics, get bored and quit after a short time. I really don't think the game needs those kinds of players. However, those that come and are truly intrigued by the game and want to get better, they're probably smart enough to figure out what they need to do; starting with finding a good outfit to join up with.
It's not your "responsibility" but you're also the minority. As much as we want to believe PS2 is going to be tailored towards the original fan-base that's simply not the case. It makes sense from a business point of view to appeal to the CoD/BF3 crowd because they make up the majority of the shooter market. The original 60,000 or so thousand people who played PS1 will play PS2 regardless of whatever "next-gen" changes SoE puts in. The 13,000,000+ CoD/BF3 players who never heard of let alone played PS1 might not unless the game looks like an upgraded version of the game they are currently playing.

Remember - PS2 much like PS1 is a game that's only as fun as the amount of people playing it. The higher the population the more fun the game is, if it's an exclusive good ole' boys club the ship will sink before it even sails.

A: PlanetsideTV. We will be exploring every nook and cranny of the new world of Auraxis. Just like we are still doing with Planetside 1.

That's good. The more people who know about PS2 (or even PS1) the better. This game needs mass appeal and mass market to bring in those initial numbers to ensure success.

Last edited by BuzzCutPsycho; 2012-03-24 at 10:37 AM.
Old 2012-03-24, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by SuperMorto View Post

Planetside TV eh? A PS news site?

One of my ideas for "victory" conditions was not a victory condition per se, but simply, news sites could follow the battles and report on major victories over a continent, that kind of thing. Pick out a few outstanding commanders and players, etc.

Although, if the game has multiple "shards", I don't know how you could focus on all of them at once...

Still, is something like that part of your plans? The fact that you could earn a mention on a news site for your efforts could bring new players in. KDR is one thing, public glory is another

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-03-24 at 10:40 AM.
Old 2012-03-24, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Nobel
Master Sergeant

As many have said before, its the outfits. I THINK the devs understand this, and are going to provide more funnels into outfits than before. We shall see.
Old 2012-03-24, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

It's not the outfits and its short sighted for people to think this. Outfit (guild/clan) play is one facet of gaming that people enjoy but the vast majority of people are solo players or play in their small cliques of friends, often those that they actually know.

If Planetside only focuses on the community and over tips the game towards outfits then it will ultimately alienate the majority of people. The key is to allow all people with all styles of play the ability to enjoy themselves.

Tapatalk.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-24, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

I think that the lead by example will be the only method to encourage teamwork. They will either be wtfpwnd by an organized group or they will see that these organized effort save the day, make the breakthrough, turn the tide of the battle, whatever.

They will either join an outfit or get fed up with it and quit.

There are some outfits who has always worked with large numbers and lot's of recruits. They mean a lot to the game and the playerbase. With helping the recruits learn the ropes they help maintaining the population. These outfits are often left behind and their "students" join another, generally more skilled outfit (without the ballast of the recruits), and these outfits are often disrespected for their lower average skill (though the core is at least in par with any hardcore outfit).

And we should not forget, that we will be a minority, so we will need inter-outfit coordination. When 400 vs 400 are zerging somewhere and you take your 20 man platoon into the meatgrinder, it won't make a difference. But 4-5 outfits bringing 20-20 man will make an impact.

Last edited by Trolltaxi; 2012-03-24 at 01:49 PM.
Old 2012-03-24, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Stardouser
Colonel

Is it actually known that that many people are not outfit players?

As for Battlefield players, since there is no direct link between clan and squad, it's hard to say, but speaking only of squads, what many people do is play casually when their friends are not online, but when their friends are online, they play as a tight squad.

I don't know but I guess it's similar in PS? When your regular friends/outfit aren't on, you just jump in with the zerg?
Old 2012-03-24, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Chinchy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Is it actually known that that many people are not outfit players?

As for Battlefield players, since there is no direct link between clan and squad, it's hard to say, but speaking only of squads, what many people do is play casually when their friends are not online, but when their friends are online, they play as a tight squad.

I don't know but I guess it's similar in PS? When your regular friends/outfit aren't on, you just jump in with the zerg?
No you just don't play at all. :P
Old 2012-03-24, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
NEWSKIS
Corporal

Helping new players in no way means more teamwork. I've seen it a lot in all the Battlefield games. No matter how much teamwork helps you, they'll refuse to work with anyone else.

I'll go out my way and take the time to help new people if they arent total douchebags.
Old 2012-03-24, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

I think you will find yourfelves in different outfit squads/platoon when your regular mates are not present. I mean, those outfits that you often work together with. We usually refer on these outfits like allied outfits, officers are often registered in each other's forums, teamspeak etc.

Sometimes we made mixed platoons (3*10 players max), and if we had like 20+ people, our allies had like 6-7 online, our outfitmates filled the spots in their squad. We could still cooperate pretty well (shared TS, platoon chat channel+outfit chat channel).

But you can pick a random squad and see how they fit your expectations.
Old 2012-03-24, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
noxious
Second Lieutenant

The game doesn't need to promote teamwork to entice players to play the game, and doing so would probably be detrimental to its success. Realistically, most people don't want to deal with any of that; the nature of CoD/BF3 public servers is evidence enough of this reality.

Most people just want an objective that will lead to good fights, and they don't care about working with other people to actually accomplish that objective (they probably don't care about accomplishing the objective at all); they just want to be where the action is at. Ideally, the mission system will get this type of player into the battles that their respective empires want to win, and that'll be as good as it gets as far as getting everyone on an empire to "work together."

Expecting anything more is a pipe dream. The minority that wants real teamwork will join outfits composed of like-minded individuals.
Old 2012-03-24, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Gogita
Master Sergeant

I do not think it will be too large of a problem AS LONG AS teamwork will almost always prevail over solo.

Players will adapt on incentives, as long as there are incentives to work as a team and have tactics, we do not have to worry too much about kill whoring. In games such as BF or CoD it might still be true that teamwork there is better than solo work and you are likely to lose if you're fighting with a solo-team against a team that works together.
HOWEVER, that is only IF you are fighting against an enemy that works as one unit. As all fights are separate rounds fought on separate servers, the likelihood of you fighting against a clan is quite low. In Planetside 2 there will ALWAYS be some outfits that are carrying out their tactics, resulting in total slaughter of strategic-less players.
So in order for the solo-players to stand a chance against well organized teams, they have to organize as well, thus creating teamwork.

So again, the devs have to make sure that there are enough incentives to work as a team instead of playing as a lone wolf.
Old 2012-03-24, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Knocky
Major

If the Devs do not wake up and realize that it is OUTFITS that kept PS alive...

If they ignore the Outfits, like they are doing now...

....this game is going to be a zergling clusterfrak.
Old 2012-03-24, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Tamas
Staff Sergeant

Tutorial to start with. After that people can get placed into a general Outfit (much like EVE starting corporations) - they can choose not to of course, but providing some starting point would be great.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion