News: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hey you've got something on your shirt...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-06-13, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #106
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Re: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
I think Dust 514 is playstation only. Why cant we have a game that breaks all convention. To unify the playerbase would be another accolade for soe. And if they can actually pull it off with some style then ps2 would be the better for it.
Because both evidence and common sense suggest that it is simply not viable. It's a utopic vision where the stakes are too high. If it wasn't the case, I'd love to see a unified playerbase. There is a reason that games like CoD has never cross-platformed: because it would compromise both the PC and the console experience.
Old 2013-06-13, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #107
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Higby doing a Gamespot interview on the topic....

Last edited by Calista; 2013-06-13 at 10:46 AM.
Old 2013-06-13, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #108
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Adding on what Higby confirmed, the only way I see it going cross platform is as a distant alternative for those wanting to play with a M+K.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-06-13, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #109
Crator
Major General

Higby said the only reason they aren't doing cross-platform is due to patch release inconsistencies between the two platforms (due to certification requirements on console). So if they could fix that issue there would be no reason not to do cross-platform.
Old 2013-06-13, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #110
Calista
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Higby said the only reason they aren't doing cross-platform is due to patch release inconsistencies between the two platforms (due to certification requirements on console). So if they could fix that issue there would be no reason not to do cross-platform.
You have to also consider that the PC players will be a large QA department for updates to be released on the console. So another reason for SOE to keep things separate.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-06-13, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #111
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Wanted to touch on a couple things real quick.

When you release an update on the Playstation Network there is an entire process of their QA and distribution approval that needs to happen, it's a great system don't get me wrong, but we don't want to handcuff PC updates in order to keep the servers in sync. The PS4 will be getting all of the updates the PC does, but their updates will be a bit less frequent due to the additional process. This is especially true for things like hotfixes or quick balance / tuning changes which we often will want to deploy immediately for PC, but may have to wait to deploy on the PSN depending on the severity of the issue.

In terms of development effort, the entire Planetside 2 team is continuing to work on content, bug fixes and enhancements for the PC version, which IS also developing the game for the PS4, since they're getting the same game. The PS4 team is doing engine and back end changes to make the game work on the PS4. The PS4 development is taking nothing away from the PC development, it is in a lot of cases giving us more reasons to get things done even faster on PC, which is getting the benefit of those enhancements well in advance of the PS4 launch.

Lastly, we're not going to be bringing any console specific UI/control features or changes on the PC game unless they make sense. You're not going to get a gamepad focused UI all of a sudden or anything like that. When we do have some UI updates, polish, or fixes that we make while optimizing the UI for the PS4 we may bring them over if they make sense and enhance the PC focused user experience.

All in all, this is a good thing for everyone that cares about Planetside, and beyond that for anyone who cares about MMOFPS games! If we can be successful on the PS4 we may see more development resources used towards this type of game in the future, which rules for us all as gamers and fans of the genre.

Last edited by Higby; 2013-06-13 at 11:58 AM.
Old 2013-06-13, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
Crator
Major General

Thanks for clarification Higby. Question, why does console have QA but not PC?
Old 2013-06-13, 12:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #113
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Thanks for clarification Higby. Question, why does console have QA but not PC?
I think he meant third party QA.

Old 2013-06-13, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #114
Calista
Second Lieutenant

I am curious though, what happens when there is an issue inherent to the console players demanding a different type of gameplay that the PC users might not desire? For instance, most console shooter guys are used to the short timed instanced CoD type fights with well defined win conditions that end the round. PS2 doesn't exactly cater to that although the alert system seems to be an attempt to address this issue.

Last edited by Calista; 2013-06-13 at 12:16 PM.
Old 2013-06-13, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #115
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
How about KBM support on console? Any chance you can shed some light on that?
Old 2013-06-13, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #116
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
I think he meant third party QA.
Oh, I think I see why it's like that. Cause PS4 is Sony, not SOE? Is that correct? So even though Sony owns SOE they are treated as two separate companies?
Old 2013-06-13, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #117
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Oh, I think I see why it's like that. Cause PS4 is Sony, not SOE? Is that correct? So even though Sony owns SOE they are treated as two separate companies?
The extra qa testing isnt for anything but network security. They need to verify that a particular piece of software doesnt open them up to cyber hacking.
Old 2013-06-13, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
Calista
Second Lieutenant

I think any console game has to be "approved" for release into a production environment by SCE. So whether it be Ubisoft, SOE or whoever it will be the same process.
Old 2013-06-13, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #119
Ellipson
Private

Originally Posted by Calista View Post
I think any console game has to be "approved" for release into a production environment by SCE. So whether it be Ubisoft, SOE or whoever it will be the same process.
This is basically correct; the console QA team will do an entirely separate security and stability pass on every patch that hits every game on the console. I knew someone who worked on one of these teams for a certain console; the lag time on that QA process could sometimes be measured in months for "non-essential" (Read: the game isn't completely unplayable) patches. Combining servers would really increase lag time on patches for everyone, and the hand-wringing about PS4 development slowing down PC development would have some truth to it.

Has there been any announced plans to have purchased unlocks carry over to the PS4 version, much like how purchases transfer between characters now on the PC version? I'd seriously consider playing the PS4 version as well if my guns transfer over. Sorry if this is asked+answered already.

Last edited by Ellipson; 2013-06-13 at 12:51 PM.
Old 2013-06-13, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #120
FireWater
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Bummer about the cross platform play. I think it would have been a major achievement in gaming, and for PS4 in general.

For the record I believe that PS4 will outsell Xbone significantly. All of those restrictions MS put on the console are terrible. Especially when they tell people who want to play just single player games without an internet connection to just play the 360.

MAybe in the future PS4 will be able to connect to the PC Servers or vice versa, I personally think it would be awesome, if the enviornment can be competitive.

Engineer for NUC's Alpha Squad http://www.nucgaming.com
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion