Several questions about Certs - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Will I be able to dodge bullets?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-07-06, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
RiddlerAce
Private

Several questions about Certs

1. Are certs bought with "skill points" due to "level progression," or with the various territorial resources of the game?
2.Do each class have their own separated cert tree?
3.Is there a cross-class tree as well?
4.Is it possible to change certs during a battle?
5.Are there major differences between the certs in PS1 and PS2?

More questions are on their way! Any info from a veteran is much appreciated!
Old 2012-07-06, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Blue Sam
Corporal

Re: Several questions about Certs

The former, yes, I think so, no, yes, in that order. More specifically, you can't change certs at all, but you can eventually collect every single cert at once, which is the major difference between certs in PS1 and PS2.
Old 2012-07-06, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Crator
Major General

The way I know it is like this: (The bolded info is from the PS2 Info thread)

1) The resources in-game are for obtaining gear and vehicles (which I would assume are related to certs): Pure upgrades, such as grenades, stronger vehicles, are only purchasable with in game resources.

What is the certification System? The certification system is still really free-form. Similarly to Eve, you can gain “skill-ups” in your certifications while offline after setting which certifications you want to unlock, however actively playing online will result in quicker skill-ups. You can be as specialized or as unspecialized as you want; if you want to only put certification points into improving your galaxy, you can. If you want to have decent grunting, vehicle, and support skills, you can.

2) • What is the class system? The class system in Planetside 2 is a bit of a misnomer. It is not as free-form as the original load-out system of Planetside, but it is not as restrictive as other shooters. When you spawn, you can choose a different set of certs for that life and you are forced into that role until you die or access an equipment terminal. There appear to be restrictions such as a deeply specialized medic will not be able to access heavy assault weapons, and classes with jetpacks will not have access to heavier armor or weapons.

3) Not that I'm aware of but you can cert into any and as many class trees you want.

4) Not sure about this one.

5) You were required to obtain certifications for the equipment you use in PS1. Certs were obatined by gaining Battle Rank in PS1. In PS2, all equipment is available from the start but you use certs to specialize in a chosen class.

Last edited by Crator; 2012-07-06 at 04:56 PM.
Old 2012-07-06, 10:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by RiddlerAce View Post
1. Are certs bought with "skill points" due to "level progression," or with the various territorial resources of the game?
2.Do each class have their own separated cert tree?
3.Is there a cross-class tree as well?
4.Is it possible to change certs during a battle?
5.Are there major differences between the certs in PS1 and PS2?

More questions are on their way! Any info from a veteran is much appreciated!
Allow me to articulate on some of these points with what I've heard...

1) Levels in PS2 (called Battle Ranks - BR ) are independent from certification points. They're both earned with xp, but BR is essentially bragging rights. Certs are earned at roughly 1 cert point per 10 minutes of standard play.

2) Each class will have it's own cert trees.

3) There aren't any cross class trees, but you can place cert points in any cert trees you want.

4) It isn't possible to change your certs at all. Once they're in, they're in. No respecs. No changes. (don't worry, look at next point)

5) as stated above, PS1 cert points were gained with battle ranks. That means you could have a maximum amount of them. PS2 cert points are unlimited. That means you can fill out every cert tree in the game eventually.
Old 2012-07-07, 03:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
RiddlerAce
Private

Cool.. Didn't realized that cert point were based on time spent in battle. Thanks Ratstomper and Crator
Old 2012-07-07, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
typhaon
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
Allow me to articulate on some of these points with what I've heard...

1) Levels in PS2 (called Battle Ranks - BR ) are independent from certification points. They're both earned with xp, but BR is essentially bragging rights. Certs are earned at roughly 1 cert point per 10 minutes of standard play.

2) Each class will have it's own cert trees.

3) There aren't any cross class trees, but you can place cert points in any cert trees you want.

4) It isn't possible to change your certs at all. Once they're in, they're in. No respecs. No changes. (don't worry, look at next point)

5) as stated above, PS1 cert points were gained with battle ranks. That means you could have a maximum amount of them. PS2 cert points are unlimited. That means you can fill out every cert tree in the game eventually.
How long that might take... is anyone's guess. Practically speaking, I think most people will choose to be advanced at a few things... rather than have basic skills in many.
Old 2012-07-07, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by typhaon View Post
How long that might take... is anyone's guess. Practically speaking, I think most people will choose to be advanced at a few things... rather than have basic skills in many.
I believe the projected timeframe was 3 years without boosts.
Old 2012-07-07, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

I believe the projected timeframe was 3 years without boosts.
Yeah, I think that's what they said. However, that's only if they never add anything new to the game, which probably won't happen.
Old 2012-07-08, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
MockZero2
Private

Another big difference in certs from PS1 to PS2, in PS1 certs are what decided what vehicles you could drive, armor you can wear, weapons you can yield. In PS2 all of that is available up front. The certs in PS2 just allow for customization like more torque, tighter turning, and even stuff like more passenger seats for a gal, or being able to drop pod out of a gal.

The other thing is though that these are side-grades, for instance if you give a gun higher damage per shot then you are taking away from its firing rate or maybe accuracy.
Old 2012-07-09, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
SnipeGrzywa
Corporal

Misc Info

Originally Posted by RiddlerAce View Post
Cool.. Didn't realized that cert point were based on time spent in battle. Thanks Ratstomper and Crator
I wouldn't think of it that way. You still need to be doing something, as far as getting kills or running support specs. Just the approx earn rate is 1 per 10 mins. One of their things they will be balancing during beta.

Also, haven't heard but gonna assume that you will get a chunk of cert points when you hit a BR.
Old 2012-07-09, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by SnipeGrzywa View Post
I wouldn't think of it that way. You still need to be doing something, as far as getting kills or running support specs. Just the approx earn rate is 1 per 10 mins. One of their things they will be balancing during beta.

Also, haven't heard but gonna assume that you will get a chunk of cert points when you hit a BR.
This. Don't think that just being in the battle will get you cert points. They're still awarded from XP, just the average player will be getting 1 per every 10 mins.

I've heard BR and certs are totally separate, but I don't know for sure.
Old 2012-07-11, 06:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
greenberetdelta
Corporal

do all these certs have side effects? so no one person is better than the other stat wise
Old 2012-07-11, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by greenberetdelta View Post
do all these certs have side effects? so no one person is better than the other stat wise
Certs do not appear to have any tradeoffs aside from being slotted (so you're missing out on other certs that use the same slots).

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-11, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by greenberetdelta View Post
The system they're using requires you to pick form your certs when you get your loadout. You can cert for a grenade launcher and a laser sight on your gun, but you can only use one at any given time.

Otherwise, I think there are certs that improve class-based mechanics, such as hacking for infiltrators or healing for medics. The specifics aren't quite known yet.
Old 2012-07-13, 02:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Otherwise, I think there are certs that improve class-based mechanics, such as hacking for infiltrators or healing for medics. The specifics aren't quite known yet.
Yeah, there's a divide here... there are weapon/vehicle certs and then there are class certs. Weapon/vehicle certs will not improve your weapon, only change the characteristics. It will work much the way that in BF3 you can add a foregrip to your weapon to reduce left-right recoil handling (helping short range) but it also reduces base accuracy (hurting long range).

Class certs are likely very similar. I would suspect that you could adapt your Infiltrator cloaking device to be less effective, but work longer. Or reduce your Combat Medic's AoE heal range, but increase its power. You won't know for sure until you're in the Beta or the NDA is lifted

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions