Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS..... - Page 26 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: the MENSA troll is in a class all by itself
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-12, 05:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #376
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

Re: Higby Wants Your Thoughts on Iron Sights for FPS.....

Originally Posted by bigcracker View Post
Adding bad accuracy for hip fire turns a game from quake to something like a BF/COd/Arma etc game.
Hey, if the Iron Sights worked like ARMA's do, then great.

But they're BF style, and guess what? BF Iron Sights have a COF, and blooming as you fire. They're terrible, because you cannot tell what your bloom IS anymore.

There is nothing realistic about BF Iron Sights. Don't even pretend BF's Iron Sights are like OpFlash/ARMA Iron Sights.

You want Iron Sights? Then great, but give me an option to see what my bloom is while Iron Sighted. Aka, Remove the guns graphic, and stick a crosshair/COF in the middle of my screen instead.

Last edited by Shade Millith; 2012-03-12 at 05:30 AM.
Old 2012-03-12, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #377
Stormhall

I've seen the GDC alpha video and they imporved on the iron sights and I don't really think we should kick iron sights out and I could see proper teamwork and planetside skill with the added bonus of more realistic squad strategies because of the ironsights and using cover in the game will be vital.
Old 2012-03-12, 06:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #378
Highwind
Corporal

I was privately anti-ironsights, I never really spoke out on forums etc, BUT after watching the GDC demo I think they fit. I know personally I will never use an iron sight, but I think I could grow to love the types of laser sights in the demo and others they might offer. If there are sight options that offer Cone of Fire tracking then I think we are in business. Beyond that, we will have to wait for Beta to know how it really "feels" in gameplay, but I believe in the Devs based on what we've seen so far.

Bottom line... "Ironsights" aka raising your gun to improve aim, rather then firing at the hip, is a good thing and should only help the game as long as hip firing has it's place too.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #379
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by bigcracker View Post
Adding bad accuracy for hip fire turns a game from quake to something like a BF/COd/Arma etc game.
But what does that have to do with skill? Does aiming in CoD take more skill than in Tribes or Quake? I don't think so. It's just a different style of shooter, that's all.

Anyway I'm all for iron sights if they're sane. Next to no difference at close range and plenty of cosmetic options, from what I've seen and heard they seem to be on the right track.
Old 2012-03-12, 08:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #380
Kipper
Captain

Personally I much prefer slower, more tactical gameplay than spamming the keyboard to bunny hop and strafe about.

I want my spotters to know that the attack is coming, the defenders to be able to take up positions on walls and behind cover, getting ready to receive the first wave.

I want the attackers to have a few people held back with long guns or support weapons, to get heads down, a few assaulters will run up in pairs, alternating between crouching and aiming and advancing, covering each other as they approach, a few rambo's will steam in without aiming, maybe get a few lucky shots - maybe a few of them will have chainguns (who needs to aim those?).

In short - yeah, setting up and aiming should confer an accuracy advantage to point and shoot. Because it just does.
Old 2012-03-12, 08:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #381
moosepoop
Captain

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
But what does that have to do with skill? Does aiming in CoD take more skill than in Tribes or Quake? I don't think so. It's just a different style of shooter, that's all.
i would say yes. i find no aim games incredibly easy.

when i was a kid playing wolfenstein ET or UT, i would just spam adad and twitch aim and spray, and get rediculous number of kills. with battlefield 3, im constantly staying with a team mate, checking my back and corners and paying much more attention to my surroundings ingame.

Last edited by moosepoop; 2012-03-12 at 08:54 AM.
Old 2012-03-12, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #382
moosepoop
Captain

you guys need to remember, you could not aim well while moving in planetside 1. ps 1 already had the effects and playstyle of iron sight.
Old 2012-03-12, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #383
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
I am entirely too center focused to turn my fucking head when I want to look left or right. I can do it just fine with my wrist.

Now that battlefield 3 simulator looks amazing.
I own a Track IR. The advantage it offers to Arma players because of the ability to independently look in directions other than where you're aiming is a MASSIVE advantage. The equipment itself is fantastic too, after just my first game I got used to it and wasn't even thinking about it any more, it's a really immersive tool.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-12, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #384
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by moosepoop View Post
i would say yes. i find no aim games incredibly easy.

when i was a kid playing wolfenstein ET or UT, i would just spam adad and twitch aim and spray, and get rediculous number of kills. with battlefield 3, im constantly staying with a team mate, checking my back and corners and paying much more attention to my surroundings ingame.
Well sure, they're completely different games. But after spending some time in Tribes: Ascend it reminded me how aiming used to be just as hard, simply because of the speeds involved. Aiming wasn't about sacrificing some movement speed to hit something, it was about knowing how to lead targets and landing more hits than the other guy. Sometimes when I'm playing BF3 I wonder if it would be any different if they'd just replace the whole iron sight system with the rule "your character moves x% slower when firing any weapon". Visually sure, but in terms of game mechanics there's hardly a time that I don't use iron sights before shooting anyway.

And that's my problem with it. There should be some decision making involved, some good reasons why you wouldn't use it in every situation. Otherwise all you're doing is turning one mouse click into two.
Originally Posted by Skitrel
I own a Track IR. The advantage it offers to Arma players because of the ability to independently look in directions other than where you're aiming is a MASSIVE advantage. The equipment itself is fantastic too, after just my first game I got used to it and wasn't even thinking about it any more, it's a really immersive tool.
I've been thinking about buying one for Freespace 2, would be great if I could use it in Planetside too.

Last edited by Gandhi; 2012-03-12 at 09:31 AM.
Old 2012-03-12, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #385
Coreldan
Colonel

For supporting Track IR support, support here http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...ad.php?t=38023

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-03-12, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #386
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I've been thinking about buying one for Freespace 2, would be great if I could use it in Planetside too.
If they add proper Track IR support to PS2, it'll make my day. The advantage being able to look at things while aiming another direction gives is amazing, the benefits it gives to both gameplay and immersion really can't be explained in just text without having played with one. Saved my life countless times.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-12, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #387
tricome
Private

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
If they add proper Track IR support to PS2, it'll make my day. The advantage being able to look at things while aiming another direction gives is amazing, the benefits it gives to both gameplay and immersion really can't be explained in just text without having played with one. Saved my life countless times.
Couldent agree more. Use it all the time in Arma2 and while it shines when your in a jet or helo it works just as well when your on the ground. The ability to turn around and look behind you when your walking or running is awesome and hightens your awareness of the battlefield.

Would love to see TrackIR support in ps2.
Old 2012-03-12, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #388
Graywolves
General

I think Higby said somewhere that TR will have better hipfire than the other empires so I'm happy.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion