How much emphases should empire theme have?(e.g TR=Rapidfire,NC=Power,VS=tech) - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We can fit a Death Star on the back of a BFR!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Your opinion on Empire Themes
Take them off,I want empires to have mixes in attributes 5 12.20%
Keep them exactly the same but don't make a huge deal like in PS1(marketing) 9 21.95%
Keep them exactly the same 14 34.15%
Keep them but the difference should be slight 10 24.39%
Every Empire should have the same weapons 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-23, 09:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: How much emphases should empire theme have?(e.g TR=Rapidfire,NC=Power,VS=tech)

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Play the other empires more then? That was one of my favorite features iof PS there was an actual difference in weaponry to make the game slightly different. Having to change tactics depending on what you are actually up against. There was a difference, but enough to make one weapon clearly better then another.
I believe they stated that it's one character per server. You could play on another server or get two subscriptions. But yeah that's really the only option since weapons can't be looted it sounds like.
Old 2011-07-23, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: How much emphases should empire theme have?(e.g TR=Rapidfire,NC=Power,VS=tech)

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
well maiing large spaceship and colonsing other planets is a thing of the future, a gauss rifle is a current technology thats been weaponised, just not mass produced on small scale. it obviously needs some refinements. but in theory, gauss rifles would require less resources because the bullets don't need a cartridge.
That is true as well. I guess after you just acquire the tech and produce the actual weapons, it might end up cheaper in the long run. Although on another note, it's reliability is probably worse than that of the gas operated weapon (maybe not in PS though with some kind of super power sources).

I might still wanna further explain myself. I don't mind if lorewise the weapons use the gauss-principle. Perhaps even so that they are gas operated, but the velocity is boosted by the magnetic stuff, thus giving a single round more power but lowering rate of fire or something. This could be used as a reason for the "high damage, but lower rof" in comparison to TR having "high RoF, lower damage".

All that really matters to me is that the weapon would sound, feel and look good, and for me that includes a "bang" and I suppose with no gas discharging, there's really no "bang" in there

All this being said, in the PS2 trailer the NC rifle does eject cartridges and make a fancy muzzle flash, so I guess my concerns arn't too relevant. I just hope they make a less annoying sound than the Gauss rifle in current Planetside, but as I mentioned, I believe the sounds of PS2 will overall be worlds apart from PS to begin with.
Old 2011-07-23, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
That is true as well. I guess after you just acquire the tech and produce the actual weapons, it might end up cheaper in the long run. Although on another note, it's reliability is probably worse than that of the gas operated weapon (maybe not in PS though with some kind of super power sources).

I might still wanna further explain myself. I don't mind if lorewise the weapons use the gauss-principle. Perhaps even so that they are gas operated, but the velocity is boosted by the magnetic stuff, thus giving a single round more power but lowering rate of fire or something. This could be used as a reason for the "high damage, but lower rof" in comparison to TR having "high RoF, lower damage".

All that really matters to me is that the weapon would sound, feel and look good, and for me that includes a "bang" and I suppose with no gas discharging, there's really no "bang" in there

All this being said, in the PS2 trailer the NC rifle does eject cartridges and make a fancy muzzle flash, so I guess my concerns arn't too relevant. I just hope they make a less annoying sound than the Gauss rifle in current Planetside, but as I mentioned, I believe the sounds of PS2 will overall be worlds apart from PS to begin with.
ah well if its ejecting a cartridge its not a gauss rifle, in theory a guass rifle would fire fast because it does not have to eject a cartridge, and like you say have a high velocity.
Old 2011-07-23, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
ah well if its ejecting a cartridge its not a gauss rifle, in theory a guass rifle would fire fast because it does not have to eject a cartridge, and like you say have a high velocity.
Wouldn't it basically be recoil-less as well?

Naturally, not everything can happen for the sake of "realism" due to gameplay balance.

EDIT: Finally found it (at work so cant play). The current Gauss rifle isn't a pure gauss-thingie either. Like I "suggested" earlier, it uses the usual combustion/gas based mechanisms, but the velocity is just boosted by the gauss mechanic.

So technically the weapon in the video can still be the "new Gauss rifle", supposing it combines the two mechanisms.

The Gauss Rifle is the New Conglomerate's Medium Assault Weapon. It combines standard combustion-based munitions with magnetic field technology to boost the projectile speed when fired. It does the most damage per shot of the three empires medium assault weapons, has the slowest rate of fire and smallest magazine size.
I'm OK with this being "NC's thing", as long as I still get a boom and a bang when I fire those things, preferably as clearly the dominant sound effect instead of some pansy ass "magnetic sound" This sounds too "high tech" for my ears http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Sfs...tailpage#t=37s Shame that theres the ear raping scream at that exact point, but you can still hear how stupid the Gauss rifle sounds

Last edited by Coreldan; 2011-07-23 at 09:22 AM.
Old 2011-07-23, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Redshift
Major

i liked the differences, but tbh rapid fire is always at a disadvantage to front loaded dmg so i hope it's not a massive difference :/
Old 2011-07-23, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Redshift
Major

Wouldn't it basically be recoil-less as well?
If something flies out of the end fast they'll be recoil, equal and opposite etc, momentum of the bullet has to equal the momentum of the gun
Old 2011-07-23, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
If something flies out of the end fast they'll be recoil, equal and opposite etc, momentum of the bullet has to equal the momentum of the gun
Right, I figured it had more to do with the gas discharging, thank's for the heads up.
Old 2011-07-23, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Redshift
Major

Right, I figured it had more to do with the gas discharging, thank's for the heads up.
Well in normal gun that will have an effect it will be momentum of bullet and gases etc = momentum gun

essentially the momentum of everything going one way must equal the momentum of the stuff going the opposite way

you could reduce recoil by increasing the mass of the gun, so maybe the NC could duct tape breeze blocks to their guns? :P
Old 2011-07-23, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I like how the poll doesn't have a "more differentiated" option....

No, "in theory" a gauss rife (which I take to mean "coil gun") can shoot across a range of velocities and the rate of fire achievable has little to nothing to do with casings.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-07-23, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
I like how the poll doesn't have a "more differentiated" option....

No, "in theory" a gauss rife (which I take to mean "coil gun") can shoot across a range of velocities and the rate of fire achievable has little to nothing to do with casings.
Thanks for the tip Carl.
Old 2011-07-23, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
razor851
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

The "firepower" motto for NC is just a lame rewording of the word "overpowered." I vote all three empires be closer than further apart from each other, in terms of weaponry.

Join the PlanetSide Steam Group!
Old 2011-07-23, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

If emphasis on empire themes means having to put up with flying MAXes again etc., I'd rather have less of it.
Old 2011-07-23, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I think overall the empires should be different, otherwise what's the point of choosing a faction if it behaves exactly like every other one but at the same time it shouldn't be too extreme to the point where it raises balance issues like what we had with the Prowler and the Jackhammer.

Every empire should have a theme to theme to them but it shouldn't get too carried away.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-23, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
BronzeElemental
Private

I really liked the fact that different empires had different looks and weapons. In my opinion I could deal with certain aspects of your chosen empire being weaksauce in certain areas because you could pickup weapons dropped by the other empire. Hacking a vanguard as TR or VS always turned heads.

Overall I really like the flavour so I would like LESS generic weapons/vehicles and MORE empire specific stuff.
Old 2011-07-23, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
I think overall the empires should be different, otherwise what's the point of choosing a faction if it behaves exactly like every other one but at the same time it shouldn't be too extreme to the point where it raises balance issues like what we had with the Prowler and the Jackhammer.

Every empire should have a theme to theme to them but it shouldn't get too carried away.
What issues did you have with the Prowler? The tank is good, but I would never say that tank out did me in tank vs tank with my Vanguard as long as my gunner was experienced. If you are talking about a Prowler shredding apart a Mag in close range then oh well. The Mag has lower armor, but that makes up with it for range and hovering ability. Any good Mag crew I have seen keeps distance from my Van, so I do not get too close.

I think too many people get butt hurt over the JH. I cannot tell you how many times I have died in a long hallway against MCGs or getting spammed to death by Lashers. Each weapon has its own unique abilities while be roughly the same. If you cannot stand the wall humpers just nade the corner if you think someone is there. JH if it is in PS2 will not nearly be as effective now due to not having third person anyway. Takes out the whole camping element that made it godly to some people. Besides a weapon is only as good the user wielding it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion