Blue Force Tracker/ FBCB2/ Commander Tool - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: now featuring robot sex
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-30, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

Blue Force Tracker/ FBCB2/ Commander Tool

I do not know how command ranks will be done in PS2 but I do see many posts about how people wish there were more tools for commanders, like someone said they wish those control consoles in bases did something. Others say that there should be a position in some vehicles that is mainly for commanders where they have access to some kind of tool to help command and plan. Well the answer to that could very well be a system like the Blue Force Tracker or the FBCB2 system that is currently being used by american and joint forces today.

Links to pages explaining both systems:

Blue force tracker
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Force_Tracking

FBCB2 (Force XXI Battle Command Brigade & Below)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_X...gade_and_Below

Now such devices in planetside, if possible, could show the position of all enemy tanks and other vehicles once discovered or if in range of radars. This would then put an image on the map for commanders of a certain rank able to use the function. By image I mean you would press M see your map and you would see instead of a hotspot the symbol for a tank for every tank that is there. Different colors for enemy and ally of course.

Another possibility would be the making of a recon tool that the average soldier could cert in. What this is would basically be a binocular/ camera. You would use it like a laze pointer snap pictures of enemy bases, out posts, dug in defenders, attacking forces. If it was outside your radar it would post it on the commanders map. Also since it is like a camera the commander could look at the still picture of the situation without being at the front line.

This system would also connect every commander who is able to use it. Like if you had to be CR3 to access the system then all CR3s can communicate through the system. For example through text, post things on the map like enemy locations, share still pictures of the enemy. Also coordinate attacks together without actually being in the same outfit or outfit alliance.

This is just a rough thought to get the brain storming going.
Old 2011-07-30, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: Blue Force Tracker/ FBCB2/ Commander Tool

yeah I think a spotting camera would be really cool, especially if it could tie into the mission system (system generates missions based on intel gathered by footsoldiers).

More enemies on camera means higher priority mission.
Old 2011-07-30, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
a bft would be an entire sub system of work. Maybe a watered down version of a bft.
Well yeah I am not expecting the actual bft system. I just think that command should have a more elaborate radar and detection system than the average ground troop and it should also be something that connects all commanders regardless of outfit or platoon. Could provide more coordination and information than is currently available.

To be honest I am not exactly sure how the radar system works in PS1, but I dont like it. Something where the interlink facility does something and mossies provide radar support. I dont like that because I can see every enemy on my mini map it seems. I think that takes away the ambush factor that we could see a lot of in PS2.

There should only be a certain range from bases that enemies are detectable. I also think that grunts or softies should be undetectable to these radars unless contact is made with them. After contact is broken with them then they go back off the radar. Vehicles entering the radars perimeter are always picked up unless SOE put in some kind of stealth vehicles, they of course would not be picked up unless engaged in combat. This could also promote mobile radar command vehicles that would also promote setting up listening posts outside the bases perimeters.

I know this could be an elaborate thing put into the game, but maybe it could be part of the three year plan. EVE went what seven years before you could finally walk around in the game.
Old 2011-07-30, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Robert089
Sergeant

I've always wanted to be able to do more recon style stuff as a sniper. In the current game I can waypoint points of interest during a hot battle while I'm sitting in my tree, such as AMSes or Lodestars, etc.

It would be great if there was an actual tool you could use to spot such things, unlocked on a recon branch of the commander skill tree, that pin points targets on the map much like the current reveal enemies and shows them to your squad. Perhaps by levelling up the skill tree you could unlock the current blanket reveal enemies that covers a large area with a cool down.

I really like this idea.
Old 2011-07-30, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Robert089 View Post
I've always wanted to be able to do more recon style stuff as a sniper. In the current game I can waypoint points of interest during a hot battle while I'm sitting in my tree, such as AMSes or Lodestars, etc.

It would be great if there was an actual tool you could use to spot such things, unlocked on a recon branch of the commander skill tree, that pin points targets on the map much like the current reveal enemies and shows them to your squad. Perhaps by levelling up the skill tree you could unlock the current blanket reveal enemies that covers a large area with a cool down.

I really like this idea.
See in my head the PS2 style bft system, you as the sniper would be in enemy territory. You spot a platoon worth of tanks setting up to defend a territory of resources and a mine field being laid down. You take out the tool and take the picture of the tank platoon and mine field. It then relays it to your commanders bft system which he then uploads and it becomes available on every commanders bft system so everyone is aware that there is a platoon tanker element there and also where the mine field is. The attack is then coordinated and the territory becomes conquered due to your recon of the area.

There are five major things that people pick out during recon; size, activity, location, uniform, time, equipment (salute)

I think the tool should be able to do this as well. Count the size of the soldiers in the picture, activity may be hard since the cpu probably cant tell if they are defending or attacking etc., grid location and relay it to the bft system, uniform meaning tr nc or vs, time of when the recon was made because recon does become outdated and equipment like 3 prowlers 2 skyguards 1 ams

Last edited by cashfoyogash; 2011-07-30 at 05:22 PM.
Old 2011-07-30, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

A quick use device like binoculars to carry out this functional would be ideal.

They'll need to undoubtedly conform it to where it has specific limitations as in a degrees of distances where it can mark targets etc.

Last edited by Sovereign; 2011-07-30 at 10:46 PM.
Old 2011-07-31, 12:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
ECM
Private

My thoughts exactly guys. With no sanc as it stands right now and 1000+ people, recon would become very important and relaying that info to your commander who then relays this to other friendly commanders is a great concept and would be very cool in PS2. This is one way to make scouting very useful. Having a scout/sniper role is cool and they can still be in a squad but also able to really contribute as a lone wolf (in a sense of part of the team, but by themselves kind of guy).
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion