Heavy Cloaker Revamped - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: lifes a bitch thats why i married one.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-10, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Huma
Sergeant

Heavy Cloaker Revamped

How about this to address everyones concerns:

- unlockable armor that is very deep in te cloaker tree.
- armor value between standard and agile
- instead of stealthing the suit provides a continous screen from enemy sensors (Misq, Motion Sensor, Interlink)
- only weapon useable in the suit would be a suppresor
- access to standard cloaker gear abilities

Why?
Providing this would give a cloaker the option to contribute in a fire fight where cloaking isnt necessary. This way a cloaker isn't punished for specializing when their team needs a little more fire power. Highly trained light arms/armor > Poorly trained heavy arms/armor.

Better?
Old 2011-08-10, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Heavy Cloaker Revamped

This would be meant for in door fights? I do not see the point to be honest. Most likely everyone will have instant access to the base class then go onto specialize. Pretty sure even your standard grunt spec or w/e it will be will be better to have then this. I fail to see how a lightly trained armor with a surpressor will ever out do a regular default load out with a medium assault type rifle. Let alone running into a guy with heavy armor and weapons lol.

Last edited by Goku; 2011-08-10 at 05:02 PM.
Old 2011-08-10, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Huma View Post
Providing this would give a cloaker the option to contribute in a fire fight where cloaking isnt necessary.
Why not just switch classes for those fights? That way everyone else isn't punished by over powered cloakers.
Old 2011-08-10, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Exactly.

Also Tatwi you may want to go for a slightly brighter purple. I have some trouble reading your PS char info area due to the dark background/text.
Old 2011-08-10, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Huma
Sergeant

I fail to see how this would over power cloakers. Not to mention with the increased lethality the suppressor is more than likely going to function more like a SMG. Why punish a cloaker by making them have to switch to an untrained class in order to participate in some fights? Grunts aren't forced into that nor are snipers(played effectively they have a valid indoor role that doesn't involve shotgun sniping). Pilots/Drivers will also be able to pick up something that'll give themselves an option indoors as well I'm sure.
Everyone keeps reiterating that fun is the most important thing to consider. It'll be a nice change of pace for cloakers and you'll have one less cloaker jacking you when you least expect it...where is the down side?

Last edited by Huma; 2011-08-10 at 05:21 PM.
Old 2011-08-10, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

where is the down side?
With class system, there's no upside either...
Old 2011-08-10, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sirisian
Colonel

I like the idea, however I think the change should be that the cloaking is temporary. It would be like cloaking in Crysis. Stay still and your energy doesn't go down. If you move you drain a cloak bar. Activating the cloak would be very fast. Deactivating would take about 2 seconds. If you shoot while cloaked it drains the cloak bar. The cloak bar would only recharge when not cloaked.

I could definitely see something that being balanced into the game with weapon limitations.

Again the goal should be to make every class the most amazing thing ever. This definitely does it. I wonder if there should be cooldowns on certain equipment though.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-08-10 at 05:36 PM.
Old 2011-08-10, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Huma
Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
With class system, there's no upside either...
So because a cloaker is so specialized they have to take it in the face when the fight turns into a base brawl? We dont even know if cloakers are going to have any support skills yet and their already limited by a lack or armor and small arms restriction. The upside is giving cloakers options without forcing them into a kit they obviously didn't want to play in the first place.
Grunts don't HAVE to switch and drivers/pilots have access to good enough armor/arms. There's plenty of upsides for cloakers. Just because you all hate cloakers doesn't mean they have to be so limited.
Old 2011-08-10, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Huma
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I like the idea, however I think the change should be that the cloaking is temporary. It would be like cloaking in Crysis. Stay still and your energy doesn't go down. If you move you drain a cloak bar. Activating the cloak would be very fast. Deactivating would take about 2 seconds. If you shoot while cloaked it drains the cloak bar. The cloak bar would only recharge when not cloaked.

I could definitely see something that being balanced into the game with weapon limitations.

Again the goal should be to make every class the most amazing thing ever. This definitely does it. I wonder if there should be cooldowns on certain equipment though.
I think cloaking would be to OP in this instance. Having a permanent active sensor shield would work just as well and keep cloakers in their sneaker role as well. Giving them am option to act more like special forces. Hit the enemy hard and fast them melt away.

Last edited by Huma; 2011-08-10 at 06:00 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-10, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I don't get the point of this thread. What is the thing you are proposing and what are "everyone's concerns?"
Old 2011-08-10, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Huma
Sergeant

I think cloaking would be to OP in this instance. Having a permanent active sensor shield would work just as well and keep cloakers in their sneaker role as well. Giving them am option to act more like special forces. Hit the enemy hard and fast them melt away.
Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I don't get the point of this thread. What is the thing you are proposing and what are "everyone's concerns?"
Giving cloakers an optional armor that gives them slightly better armor and weapons for those crazy base fights that render them useless except as canon fodder. Everyone seems to be up in arms regarding cloakers getting anything in PS2 other than improved cloaking.
I understand that we will be able to switch roles at will but why force an entire to role to switch to something they obviously don't want to play just so they can be effective in 50% of the fights? Giving a cloaker the option to wear a little armor doesn't over power them in any way nor detract from anyone else's play style.
Old 2011-08-10, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

their already limited by a lack or armor and small arms restriction.
We don't know this yet either.

Can't anyone change classes when they respawn? Then even if you're a hardcore cloaker, you can swap out some basic infantry weapons. They won't be as advanced in the skill tree as a hardcore infantry but it's enough to get the job done.

Or you could make something to allow cloakers to shift into the infantry role without switching classes at all, but that doesn't seem fair or good game design.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2011-08-10, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Huma to be honest I have no idea what you are talking about. Sounds like this suit has absolutely no space in PS2. I am pretty sure everyone is going to have access to the basic equipment of every class early on, so it shouldn't be hard even if you have to train it. Why should a cloaker user put on a gimped suit with a crappy weapon over a basic grunt load out that will work infinitively better in doors?
Old 2011-08-10, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Huma
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Huma to be honest I have no idea what you are talking about. Sounds like this suit has absolutely no space in PS2. I am pretty sure everyone is going to have access to the basic equipment of every class early on, so it shouldn't be hard even if you have to train it. Why should a cloaker user put on a gimped suit with a crappy weapon over a basic grunt load out that will work infinitively better in doors?
Well my reasoning is this. People that play cloakers put a lot of time in on special skills. Currently it takes a lot of investment in certs to make an effective all around cloaker and you get used to having these skills available. But in order to be combat effective in a heavy fire fight we have to drop everything we train for to pick up a kit that doesn't appeal to our playstyle. Giving us an option for slightly better armor & weapons is something cloakers have been asking for since I don't know when. Yes it's not as effective as a grunts as far as absorption goes but it gives us maneuverability and a better gun. I'd rather have that and access to my role skills than play a grunt. Which I don't like playing.
Old 2011-08-10, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Huma
Sergeant

Basically we're willing to make sacrifices to be able to carry a slightly better gun, have a little armor, and carry a little more gear. I figure this is a good optional armor that fulfills what a lot of cloakers have asked for without trying to get a cloaked rifleman running around.
In my outfit I have a very specific role and they rely on me to be there for that role. Sometimes though that role is moot due to how intense the base fights get so I end up running behind them and doing what I can to contribute. I can drop more certs into grunt but I dont like doing grunt work and would rather spec more support skills.
I don't anticipate this being a front lime armor bit it gives cloakers more to work with and still allows them to do their jobs in a heavy fight.

Last edited by Huma; 2011-08-10 at 07:16 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion