Thoughts on the homogenezation of vehicles - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Is there a vaccine for this?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you think of Vehicles homogenezation?
I like it! 57 51.82%
I don't like it! 53 48.18%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-26, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

Re: Thoughts on the homogenezation of vehicles

Lightnings are faster, more agile and will possess special weapons MBTs do not, like Anti-Air weapons.

NC Brig. General ಠ_ರೃ
Old 2012-03-26, 06:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Whalenator View Post
Lightnings are faster, more agile and will possess special weapons MBTs do not, like Anti-Air weapons.
You can make both MBT's guns AA.
Old 2012-03-26, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Death2All View Post
What? I don't see how you made that comparison.

Sniper Rifles are for long range combat, Heavy Assault is for medium-close range engagements. Totally different things.

The point was that a Tank actually is enveloping the role of the SG since there isn't a SG in PS2 and it now fills that role.
I make the comparison because both weapons are AI weapons. Your logical failure is assuming that all vehicles are equally capable at all roles. Just because a tank has an AA weapon doesn't mean it fills the same niche as the lightning, or a MAX or infantry with AA. Same as HA and sniper rifles are both AI, but do not fill the same niche.
Old 2012-03-26, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Knocky
Major

Then I will be blunt.

The Devs said that the Lightning will be the ultimate in AA.

No I will not "prove" it, go look it up yourself.

The reason we have not seen the Lightning is because it was being given a new moby job.

And no, I will not look that up for you too.

Believe me or not, don't care.
Old 2012-03-26, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I make the comparison because both weapons are AI weapons. Your logical failure is assuming that all vehicles are equally capable at all roles. Just because a tank has an AA weapon doesn't mean it fills the same niche as the lightning, or a MAX or infantry with AA. Same as HA and sniper rifles are both AI, but do not fill the same niche.
You're over speculating way further than I am. You have yet to play the game yet, so you have absolutely no idea if what you said is at all true.

Besides, my gripe was directed towards the notion that only a few vehicles will be filling the roles of multiple ones, not at all about how powerful it is.

It's not an issue of how much damage it does, it's an issue that it's available to it at all in the first place. The issue is that we're trading a variety of different vehicles, all with their own individual roles for a select few jack of all trade vehicles and we're also given a huge increase to the number of ways we can customize our vehicles. Whether or not it's a good or bad thing, we'll have to wait and see.

I'm not really sure what all the hostility is about, sorry for asking the community's opinion on a subject that most people are generally concerned about.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-03-26, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
CutterJohn
Colonel

Oh, if thats your gripe, then I just plain disagree with you. I definitely prefer fewer, customizable vehicles. Having 20 different vehicles would be as stupid as having 20 infantry classes.
Old 2012-03-26, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Oh, if thats your gripe, then I just plain disagree with you. I definitely prefer fewer, customizable vehicles. Having 20 different vehicles would be as stupid as having 20 infantry classes.
Well from a teamwork perspective, as many have brought up during this thread, it adds a lot more depth to the game. It's more about bringing the right vehicle to the right fight instead of just taking any vehicle of your liking and speccing it out accordingly to fill that role temporarily.

It's just mind boggling to me that they tried to remove the whole jack of all trades playstyle away from grunts and instead gave it to vehicles ....? It's like they took one step forward and took two steps back...But I suppose adding a new layer of customization took it another step forward, but if you're decent at simple math, you're still a step behind. At least from my perspective.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-03-26, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
noxious
Second Lieutenant

Well from a teamwork perspective, as many have brought up during this thread, it adds a lot more depth to the game. It's more about bringing the right vehicle to the right fight instead of just taking any vehicle of your liking and speccing it out accordingly to fill that role temporarily.

It's just mind boggling to me that they tried to remove the whole jack of all trades playstyle away from grunts and instead gave it to vehicles ....? It's like they took one step forward and took two steps back...But I suppose adding a new layer of customization took it another step forward, but if you're decent at simple math, you're still a step behind. At least from my perspective.
What difference does it make whether you have to customize a vehicle to fill a specific role when you buy it versus having to buy a specific vehicle for a specific role (in regards to having to decide what is the right tool for the job)?

In either case, you are forced equally to make a decision before you deploy as to which role will be right for an impending engagement.
Old 2012-03-26, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
CutterJohn
Colonel

Again, you're assuming that all vehicular weapons are identical, and there is zero difference between them. Maybe, just maybe, a weapon can be AA, yet completely different than another weapon that is AA.

Kinda like how 90% of vehicles in PS1 were perfectly functional as AV and AI platforms, but nobody ever said the 150mm, the ground pounder, and the railgun were at all similar.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-03-26 at 07:46 PM.
Old 2012-03-26, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Kriegson
Master Sergeant

One thing that bothers me here is the big comparison between jack of all trades infantry from PS1, and the theoretical jack of all trades vehicles in PS2.

In ps1, you could carry an anti-infantry weapon, an anti vehicle weapon, a repair tool and then some to fulfill virtually every role feasible given enough certs.
With vehicles in PS2 you can feasibly attach an anti infantry weapon, or an anti-air weapon, or an anti vehicle weapon, but not all three. Or at least not three equally effective weapons. You can't spec your vehicle to damage all enemy types effectively, heal and repair.
At most as I understand it, you can swap out the main gun to fulfill a different role, or add a tertiary weapon that can help with other roles, but not as well as a dedicated weapon can.

Seems like quite a difference and a bit of a step forward to me. Rather than having a number of highly specialized vehicles, have a few modifiable chassis.

At least, that's how I understand it.
Old 2012-03-26, 09:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Dir
Private

Originally Posted by Kriegson View Post
Seems like quite a difference and a bit of a step forward to me. Rather than having a number of highly specialized vehicles, have a few modifiable chassis.

At least, that's how I understand it.
Well then I don't see why they should bring back the lightning at all. You can knock off the back of a Sundy and scotch tape a couple flak guns to the bed and mactac a 15mm turret on the cab roof.
Old 2012-03-26, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

I don't have an opinion yet. Oh Beta Where Art Thou?
Old 2012-03-27, 04:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Arius
Corporal

Considering customization, it makes sense. Fewer vehicles with more stuff to them definitely is a plus, since I loved being a troop transport in the original PS, and having to switch between vehicles just because they differ a little bit gets annoying.
Old 2012-03-27, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

"Bringing the right vehicle for the fight" is functionally identical to "brining the right vehicle and vehicle load out to the fight"

A Vanguard with AA guns is no longer a traditional tank. It's now an anti-air platform. It's not a swiss army knife - you can't just swap in a new turret during the middle of a fight.

I'm all for lots of vehicles, even if they overlap some in usage. But don't pretend that vehicles are anything but boxes of stats with neat looking facades on them.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-03-27 at 12:09 PM.
Old 2012-03-27, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Sirisian
Colonel

Personally I want both. I've mentioned before that there are thousands of variables and designing 30+ unique vehicles with their own set of upgrades is definitely possible without making one vehicle better than another necessarily. So I prefer more customizable vehicles. This is not a black and white topic.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-03-27 at 12:11 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion