"But that wouldnt be Planetside any more..." - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: please don't kick the buckets. They're filled with high explosives.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Reply
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-07-13, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
ZeroOneZero
Corporal
 
Re: "But that wouldnt be Planetside any more..."


It's not PlanetSide without the 3rd person view . I don't recall any other fps games having 1st person-view and 3rd person as well. I think it's essential to infantry and not just vehicles.

-No 3rd person inside facilities....Fine, no prob, but it's needed out in the open world. For instance, I want to know where I'm getting hit from, I switch to 3rd person and see from which direction the enemy is. It's also very effective in detecting cloaked enemies, switch to 3rd person and you can look at your surrounding area and notice a slight blur when the cloaker is making his move. <---only if you don't have dl implant.

But I agree with the people who just posted recently.
ZeroOneZero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Tool
Master Sergeant
 
Tool's Avatar
 
Re: "But that wouldnt be Planetside any more..."


Fews, you have to understand that Planetside2 isn't Battlefield or CoD. Drawing inspiration from successfull titles is one thing but what your doing is making huge assumptions on little known gameplay mechanics.

A note about the referance between WoW and it's recent copy-cat clones on the market. RPGs have evolved little over the past decade while the same cannot be said for FPS titles. Technology has been the main factor for development and features, not basic concepts and core gameplay.

The broader market in FPS games show what people prefer and using that information to build a new FPS game isn't bad so long as progress is made. People really need to jump all over games like Cross Fire, Combat Arms, Wolfteam, Operation 7, etc. if you really want to complain about FPS clones.
Tool is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Fews
Private
 
Re: "But that wouldnt be Planetside any more..."


Originally Posted by Tool View Post
Fews, you have to understand that Planetside2 isn't Battlefield or CoD. Drawing inspiration from successfull titles is one thing but what your doing is making huge assumptions on little known gameplay mechanics.

A note about the referance between WoW and it's recent copy-cat clones on the market. RPGs have evolved little over the past decade while the same cannot be said for FPS titles. Technology has been the main factor for development and features, not basic concepts and core gameplay.

The broader market in FPS games show what people prefer and using that information to build a new FPS game isn't bad so long as progress is made. People really need to jump all over games like Cross Fire, Combat Arms, Wolfteam, Operation 7, etc. if you really want to complain about FPS clones.
The broader market is stuck on a hamster wheel in my opinion with each game being basically the same small fire fight battle with different clothes and dingratz.

Putting it as basic as I can, I would rather see Planetside reskinned and updated netcoding, then BF/COD with a Planetside skin.
Fews is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Effective
First Lieutenant
 
Effective's Avatar
 
Misc Info
Re: "But that wouldnt be Planetside any more..."


Planetside 1 is a game with terribly made/implemented game mechanics and a variety of other issues. It's time to realize what mistakes were made in the game (all of them, not just BFRs and hackers) just that ultimately brought the game to it's current state.

Give the devs feedback and WHY something is negative, and then tell them what they can could potentially do to make it better. Planetside 2 will NEVER BE LIKE PLANETSIDE 1.
Effective is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Fews
Private
 
Re: "But that wouldnt be Planetside any more..."


Originally Posted by Effective View Post
Planetside 1 is a game with terribly made/implemented game mechanics and a variety of other issues. It's time to realize what mistakes were made in the game (all of them, not just BFRs and hackers) just that ultimately brought the game to it's current state.

Give the devs feedback and WHY something is negative, and then tell them what they can could potentially do to make it better. Planetside 2 will NEVER BE LIKE PLANETSIDE 1.
Then they should have called it something else, like the Agency . I am all for improvements and do like some of the talking points, but losing the core concept of what Planetside was in order to fit it into some template not suited for its mass is just a big disappointment.

And I'd have to argue that the current state of 1 came from under-development post CC.
Fews is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-14, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Tool
Master Sergeant
 
Tool's Avatar
 
Re: "But that wouldnt be Planetside any more..."


Originally Posted by Fews View Post
Then they should have called it something else, like the Agency . I am all for improvements and do like some of the talking points, but losing the core concept of what Planetside was in order to fit it into some template not suited for its mass is just a big disappointment.

And I'd have to argue that the current state of 1 came from under-development post CC.
The core things that made Planetside, Planetside, is a short list:

Massive Battles
Equality between High/Low level players
Cert Trees and Implants
Air, Armor, and Infantry combined arms gameplay

The minor nit-picks few people tend to have are mechanics that have no bearing on those core elements. And like Effective said, you have to learn from what attributed to Planetsides lack of success. It was not soley BFRs or marketing, the shallow FPS gameplay attributed a lot more than what people credit it for.
Tool is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Bookmarks

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 AM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.