PlanetSide 2 Audio & Music - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If all else fails, blame France
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-25, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
kertvon
Sergeant

Re: PlanetSide 2 Audio & Music

Awesome work with the sounds. I see you stated there will be announcements pertaining to the soundtrack, but can you verify the original theme song(or modified variant) will be in the game?

I loved this theme song!:
Old 2012-05-25, 08:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Ok now I have a reason to buy a good sound card and some bad assed surround sound speakers.
Old 2012-05-25, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Novacane
Private

The audio really does sound excellent from what videos have been out there. It's always good when you can feel those explosions and the throatiness of an engine as it goes by. It adds tons of depth to the world.
Old 2012-05-25, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

The game is sounding really good from the bits I've seen. The DSP stuff sounds really exciting, especially the low-passing to convey a convincing sense of proximity. It's always very noticeable when games use a "close" and a "far" set of sounds with no real transition between the 2. Variable low passing is a great way to handle this problem.

Also, can't wait to hear the music.
Old 2012-05-25, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Our sound designer here had dropped that there was going to be a bunch of different helmet designs and "foils" that we will be able to buy at the cash shop. I cant find the quote now so it seems that bit has been edited out. I tell you the mossie/reaver/scythe has just an incredible sound to it. And I do recall the dopler effect in the aircav video just so much bad assness awesomesauce. Maybe we can get a vid out with only native sounds? I would like to here the game without piped in music or tb commentating. (love ya tb)
Old 2012-05-25, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Patek
Private

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
Maybe we can get a vid out with only native sounds? I would like to here the game without piped in music or tb commentating. (love ya tb)
hopefully we hear some more sounds soon i always love it when the audio is top notch in games!
Old 2012-05-25, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Xaine
Major

Thank you very much for taking the time to post sir.

The audio really does sound amazing, especially the transition between when the Mossie is cruising and then slowing down back to hover, hearing the engine 'power down' and the pitch of it change is fantastic, like it's actually changing gear.

I can't wait to have a fighter fly over me at full speed, that screaming 'whoosh!' sound will be amazing I'm sure.

Really, really enjoy the work you're putting in.
Old 2012-05-25, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Hamma
PSU Admin

Thanks for dropping by!! The audio sounds amazing you guys have done a great job at it. As I mentioned in another thread the sound of an aircraft flyby made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-05-25, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Rodney Gates View Post
Feel free to shoot over any questions - in the meantime, "Live Free In The NC!".

- Rodney
Ah, good to see that our repurposed mining equipment will get the throaty roars and growls they deserve. Leave the whining "pew-pew" sounds to the Vanu.
Old 2012-05-25, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Corax
Sergeant

Hey Rodney and crew!!

First I just wanna say thank you for the killer sounds we have already been able to hear.

And I just wanted to ask, where are you pulling some of your inspirations from for each of the different weapons/vehicles? Is there any audio pieces you guys are manufacturing yourselves? Can you give us some insight into what exactly your hoping to achieve in the terms of sound? Will each and every single gun/vehicles have its own unique telltale sound signature or will there be some overlap?

And I swear that in the Air Cav video yall tossed up I heard the strafing sound an x-wing makes when it was doing the canyon run. It was when the reavers where doing their canyon run to the TR position.

"Victorus aut Mortis"
Old 2012-05-25, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

Real surround sound in video games, none of that emulated crap, is one of the best ways to really immerse a player.

I've been rolling with 5.1 surround sound speakers for years and never gets old being surrounded by the game.

I love your dedication to the game and how you're putting the time and effort to really make all 3 factions distinct in both their audio and their soundtrack.

You and your team going the extra mile is what is going to set this game apart from the pack and up there with the greats.
Old 2012-05-25, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Shogun
Contributor
General

welcome to the community, mr. sound !

great to see even more devs dare to drop by here and say hello!
and what i heard so far really rocks the boat!

can anyone recommend a good 5.1 gamers headset that is comfortable to wear for extended playtimes and not too expensive?

sound is soooo damn important and i am happy that you are putting so much work into this! those who don´t believe how important sound is should try and watch their favorite scify movie scenes and turn of the sound. the sound is of the same importance as the visuals. good sound can even make up for bad visuals and make a bad scene excellent. same applys for computergames.

i love that you are working on empire specific sounds! what you described in your last post (too lazy to quote) is exactly what i want! and i know i´m not alone with this! a lot of veterans want to be able to distinguish who is shooting at them with closed eyes! that´s a feature not every shooter can deliver, but planetside has the potential to do this and it has to!

thanks again! can´t wait to hear the game! especially that quad gattling gun we saw in a screenshot
please give it a very very evil sound! something in the line of the vulcan gun of the a10 warthog, but multiplied by 4

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-05-25, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Wait, different soundtracks for each empire, not just different empire themes? Wow, I didn't expect that.
Old 2012-05-25, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Rodney Gates View Post
We're just starting to make use of some DSP in game, such as low and high pass filtering, different reverb settings based on distance, etc.
I think this is what my question had to deal with. Will ground forces be able to hear the firing of larger projectiles from a distance? Like Tanks on the ridge, Libs behind the clouds, can I hear a distant thud before the streaking boom?
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2012-05-25, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
ringring
Contributor
General

Welcome and good job.

I was going to ask about faction distinction in the sounds but reading further down the threas you answered before I asked.

Brilliant!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion