"Confirmation" crosshair/circle - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Best thing since POKEMON!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: "Confirmation" crosshair/circle/sound?
Yes 58 81.69%
No 13 18.31%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-07-26, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
FIREk
Captain

"Confirmation" crosshair/circle

Simple - do you want to see "confirmation" crosshairs or circles in PS2?

This can only be undesirable if PlanetSide 2 doesn't show a crosshair for weapons fired from the hip, forcing you to use the iron sights.
With "confirmation" crosshair, you get "free" aim assist if you happen to hit someone, letting you aim the rest of your shots better. It's kind of cheating, if there is no crosshair by default.

It could also be used to pinpoint enemies hiding in foliage or smoke, which is kind of lame.

On the other hand, it helps people learn how to use their weapons at range, especially since bullets don't hit instantly and fall over distance. This is extra-relevant for snipers.

Any thoughts? Most of you would probably want this, since it was present in PS1, I suppose. Personally, I dunno which I find more desirable.
Old 2011-07-26, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: "Confirmation" crosshair/circle

I selected no.

Why? Simply because it promotes spamming area of effect weapons like grenades and tank shells.
Old 2011-07-26, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Valdae
Sergeant

I think something like this depends on whether or not the game is ported for console
Old 2011-07-26, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Bags
Lieutenant General

I voted yes, but only for direct fire weapons. I like knowing my shots registered.

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
I selected no.

Why? Simply because it promotes spamming area of effect weapons like grenades and tank shells.
leff Y U USE THUMPER?
Old 2011-07-26, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Raymac
Brigadier General

Like a hit marker? Hell yes we should have it. I don't think we need to worry about some goober just running around spamming some aoe just to find people. He'd be an easy target, and eyeballs work pretty well at seeing things.

As for throwing a grenade around a corner to see if someone is there, I call that good tactics. You can waste a nade to check if someone is there, or you can take the risk as you poke your head around the corner real fast. Each has their own risk/reward.

Also, a hit marker is not aim assist. You still have to aim yourself.
Old 2011-07-26, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
JanitOr KanOs
Private

Kinda hard to know if I hit anything when high-level bombing if I don't see any kills on my screen. That's a yes from me.
Old 2011-07-26, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Vancha
Colonel

I think it should definitely depend on the weapon. I agree it should be removed thumpers (and any other spammable indirect fire weapons), but for sniping it was much appreciated in both PS and BF2142.

It could probably be removed for shotguns as well, maybe lashers too? I could certainly see the use of it for MCGs and rifles though.

Originally Posted by JanitOr KanOs View Post
Kinda hard to know if I hit anything when high-level bombing if I don't see any kills on my screen. That's a yes from me.
Isn't the killspam enough?

Last edited by Vancha; 2011-07-26 at 03:04 PM.
Old 2011-07-26, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
JanitOr KanOs
Private

if I don't see any kills on my screen.
Old 2011-07-26, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Vancha
Colonel

Edit: No, wait...I read you right the first time. You realize he's not proposing removing the killspam, right Kanos?

Last edited by Vancha; 2011-07-26 at 03:05 PM.
Old 2011-07-26, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
JanitOr KanOs
Private

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Edit: No, wait...I read you right the first time. You realize he's not proposing removing the killspam, right Kanos?
I realize that. Sometimes you don't kill things on a bombing run, there's not always a lot of radar coverage of enemy troops. I'd just like to know if I'm hitting anything at all or if I'm like the bombers in WWII bombing fields of cows instead of enemy targets.

Last edited by JanitOr KanOs; 2011-07-26 at 03:07 PM.
Old 2011-07-26, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Raymac
Brigadier General

I think it should definitely depend on the weapon. I agree it should be removed thumpers (and any other spammable indirect fire weapons), but for sniping it was much appreciated in both PS and BF2142.

It could probably be removed for shotguns as well, maybe lashers too? I could certainly see the use of it for MCGs and rifles though.
Why start cherry picking which weapons get a hit marker?

While I can see the logic of not having it on something like a thumper, in practice, do you see people doing this in PS1 now? I don't think I've ever seen anyone just running around outside, spamming a thumper all over looking for badguys. That gun can draw so much attention, if you tried that tactic, you'd get taken out pretty quickly.

The only time I think I've seen anything even remotely like that is when somebody is camping stairs in a tower, and even then it's more to get kills than find bad guys.
Old 2011-07-26, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Yes, but only for precision weapons. You shouldn't get a "hit marker" if you're spamming a Thumper like someone said earlier.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-26, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Definitely need to have some kind of confirmation.

Even in situations w/o imaginary cross-hairs it's good to have. Yeah there are a few tricky things that could be done, but it's far more important to have the feedback. People spamming corners or whatever to see if there is a cloaker don't need the confirmation feedback anyway, You can see the burning or bullet hit.

Make it only happen when looking down the sight, if it's that troublesome.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2011-07-26 at 03:12 PM.
Old 2011-07-26, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Why start cherry picking which weapons get a hit marker?

The only time I think I've seen anything even remotely like that is when somebody is camping stairs in a tower, and even then it's more to get kills than find bad guys.
Right, I'm thinking of people who spam thumpers all day indoors, though there could be a better solution to that.

Like someone said higher up, hit indicators could be considered an aiming aid as much as anything useful. I suppose it depends how hard it is to lead targets in PS2...

I realize that. Sometimes you don't kill things on a bombing run, there's not always a lot of radar coverage of enemy troops. I'd just like to know if I'm hitting anything at all or if I'm like the bombers in WWII bombing fields of cows instead of enemy targets.
Ah I see, I completely misunderstood your problem. Still, isn't that what the the gunner cam is for? So you can see what your bomber's hitting?

Last edited by Vancha; 2011-07-26 at 03:13 PM.
Old 2011-07-26, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Raymac
Brigadier General

Right, I'm thinking of people who spam thumpers all day indoors, though there could be a better solution to that.
I don't think hit markers will make much of a difference for those people. Plus, thats like trying to cure a runny nose by putting a cast on your wrist. Sure it's a cure, but not for that problem.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion