Trayvon Martin - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: May I borrow your left eyebrow?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-28, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #91
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Re: Trayvon Martin

It may be worth pointing out that even if Martin had attacked Zimmerman, it was clear that the (armed) Zimmerman was following the (unarmed) Martin, at night. Martin apparently expressed concern that he was being followed to his girlfriend during their phone conversation. I know I would have felt threatened if I was being followed by some older guy at night as I was walking someplace, alone, armed only with a bag of Skittles.

So if Martin attacked Zimmerman, perhaps HE was just "standing his ground"?

And I guess in that case, his only sin was not carrying a gun, so he could have (completely lawfully) shot Zimmerman dead instead.

Because that law makes perfect sense.
Old 2012-03-28, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #92
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

And there's a perfect example of how religious indoctrination can cloud your view on other things. It's easy to make the jump from believing something without evidence for religious reasons to believing something without evidence for a crime. Some jury members do this all the time.
Old 2012-03-28, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
Sgt Shultz
Corporal

Originally Posted by Quovatis View Post
It's just stupid they couldn't arrest him. The law needs to be amended.
I think we have a better understanding of why the DA did not push for an arrest. You have two witnesses with one being dead and the other advised to say nothing by a defense attorney.

The evidence is most likely not enough at this time to do anything but pontificate about the series of events. Furthermore the information about the victims past would likely be brought in during a trial and would create serious doubts. I can't see any sane DA actually pushing for an arrest at this time.
Old 2012-03-28, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #94
Vash02
Major

Originally Posted by Sgt Shultz View Post
I think we have a better understanding of why the DA did not push for an arrest. You have two witnesses with one being dead and the other advised to say nothing by a defense attorney.

The evidence is most likely not enough at this time to do anything but pontificate about the series of events. Furthermore the information about the victims past would likely be brought in during a trial and would create serious doubts. I can't see any sane DA actually pushing for an arrest at this time.
Well Zimmerman has a record for violent crimes and a motive ("they always get away"). pretty clean cut for US justice standards.
Old 2012-03-28, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #95
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by ArcIyte View Post
You're either lying or consumed with denial. Of course you know what my point is. A very large facet of this whole situation is that the media was portraying this Martin guy as a 100% innocent little angel, who would NEVER start the fight with Zimmerman or break the law. A person's character ALWAYS comes into play in trial.
Martin has not broken the law though, and there is no evidence he started the fight with Zimmerman apart from Zimmerman's own testimony, for whatever that's worth when he's the only one alive who saw it. I'm not sure what you're asserting here. Does having tattoos and having been suspended make him more liable to have been a threat to Zimmerman's life, than Zimmerna was to Martin's? Again, Zimmerman is the one who has multiple criminal charges for violent offenses in his past.

I started off playing devil's advocate since the ENTIRE news media was against this Zimmerman guy. Demonizing him by using a mugshot as his picture, while doing the exact opposite for Martin by using a childhood photo. Now I believe this kid was a thug, got pissed that someone was watching him looking into houses, and decided to do something about it.
So Martin, with no criminal record, talking to his girlfriend on the way back home after buying snacks during a break in the football game, decided to attack a stranger in a neighborhood where people knew who he was -- after attempting to run away from Zimmerman first -- simply because the guy was watching him? That sounds plausible to you?

I have a counter-proposal. How about Zimmerman, a violent criminal offender and overzealous wannabe-cop, was tired that "these assholes" who "always get away" after committing crimes in his area. Plus, he didn't like "fucking coons" in the first place. So he decided he would detain Martin for when the cops arrive, which would also make him look good in the eyes of the cops. Zimmerman was hoping to become a cop himself, and this could be his first arrest. So, he chases Martin down, asks him what he's doing there, and moves to grab him to detain him. Martin hits Zimmerman in self-defense (as any of us would if a stranger chased us and made an aggressive move against us at night), a scuffle ensues, and it ends with the 110-lbs-heavier Zimmerman on top of Martin. Martin screams for help, struggling against the much larger Zimmerman. Then, Zimmerman panics (or is just a homicidal asshole with an anger problem, and he's furious he got punched in the face), pulls out his gun, and shoots Martin in the chest, killing him. That sounds more plausible to me.

Either way it needed to go to trial.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-03-28 at 02:43 PM.
Old 2012-03-28, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by ArcIyte View Post
Now I believe this kid was a thug, got pissed that someone was watching him looking into houses, and decided to do something about it.
You are really misappropriating your psychic powers, dude. If I were you I'd sign on with the Department of Defense or something, maybe join the FBI and start solving cold cases. You know, since you have a super power that grants you the ability to firsthand witness accounts you were not present for.
Old 2012-03-28, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #97
ArcIyte
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ItsTheSheppy View Post
You are really misappropriating your psychic powers, dude. If I were you I'd sign on with the Department of Defense or something, maybe join the FBI and start solving cold cases. You know, since you have a super power that grants you the ability to firsthand witness accounts you were not present for.
Thanks for the useless hyperbole bro

WWW.ENCLAVEOILRIG.COM

Last edited by ArcIyte; 2012-03-28 at 02:36 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-28, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #98
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Meh.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-09-11 at 03:58 AM.
Old 2012-03-28, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
RodenyC
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
The only "evidence" people have presented in this thread to the contrary is Zimmerman's use of a pronoun "they" which somehow translates into a premeditated hate crime. Oh and the fact that Zimmerman was half white and Martin was black, which immediately makes it a hate crime. What a joke.
So the fucking coons part,nothing wrong with that?

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Martin has not broken the law though, and there is no evidence he started the fight with Zimmerman apart from Zimmerman's own testimony, for whatever that's worth when he's the only one alive who saw it. I'm not sure what you're asserting here. Does having tattoos and having been suspended make him more liable to have been a threat to Zimmerman's life, than Zimmerna was to Martin's? Again, Zimmerman is the one who has multiple criminal charges for violent offenses in his past.

So Martin, with no criminal record, talking to his girlfriend on the way back home after buying snacks during a break in the football game, decided to attack a stranger in a neighborhood where people knew who he was -- after attempting to run away from Zimmerman first -- simply because the guy was watching him? That sounds plausible to you?

I have a counter-proposal. How about Zimmerman, a violent criminal offender and overzealous wannabe-cop who, was tired that "these assholes, they always get away" after committing crimes in his area, not to mention he didn't like the "fucking coons" in the first place. So he decided he would detain Martin for when the cops arrive, which would also make him look good in the eyes of the cops. Zimmerman was hoping to become a cop himself, and this could be his first arrest. So, he chases Martin down, asks him what he's doing there, and moves to grab him to detain him. Martin hits Zimmerman in self-defense (as any of us would if a stranger chased us and made a move at us at night), a scuffle ensues, and it ends with the 110-lbs-heavier Zimmerman on top of Martin. Martin screams for help, struggling against the much larger Zimmerman. Then, Zimmerman panics (or is just a homicidal asshole angry he got hit in the face), pulls out his gun, and shoots Martin in the chest, killing him. That sounds more plausible to me.

Either way it needed to go to trial.
Also this.

Last edited by RodenyC; 2012-03-28 at 02:39 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-28, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Meh.

Old 2012-03-28, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

It's just a shame we'll never know, because Zimmerman stood his ground harder than Martin did. If only Martin had stood HIS ground harder, then it would be Zimmerman we'd be holding rallies for. Just another example of why more people should own guns, really. you never know when the other guy might stand his ground all over your face and you won't be able to stand your ground back!
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-28, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Meh.

Old 2012-03-28, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #103
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

If Martin were armed and Zimmerman were attempting to physically detain him until police arrived, and Martin shot and killed Zimmerman, he would have had a more compelling defense than Zimmerman has right now. Zimmerman was physically larger, had a violent criminal record, and Martin even attempted to flee. It's funny to think about how easily it becomes okay to just shoot people dead when people are packing heat.

Edit: what he said prior to the struggle that resulted also has no bearing on the events that transpired in struggle itself.
It would make it very easy for prosecutors to construct a motive for why the shooting took place, and why it wasn't self-defense but rather murder.
Old 2012-03-28, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by ItsTheSheppy View Post
It's just a shame we'll never know, because Zimmerman stood his ground harder than Martin did. If only Martin had stood HIS ground harder, then it would be Zimmerman we'd be holding rallies for.
Sure, a 17yr old kid can stand his ground harder against a guy with a gun. Right. Okay.

Last I checked free speech is protected in this country, so yeah, nothing wrong with that. If he in fact said that.

Everyone has a different interpretation of what he said, not that it matters.

Edit: what he said prior to the struggle that resulted also has no bearing on the events that transpired in struggle itself.
Actually, in the eyes of the law, it does. If you say something like "fucking coon", a racially-charged slur, and then proceed to accost someone and then either murder or manslaughter them, that constitutes a hate crime. So yeah, you can say whatever you want. When it leads to violence or when it becomes part of a violent encounter, it becomes a hate crime.
Old 2012-03-28, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
Sgt Shultz
Corporal

You could contribute better to this discussion by providing evidence that things did not go down as Zimmerman claims rather than inane shit posting.
Actually Malorn I think his point is worth entertaining. He may have not intended to make a relevant point, but stumble upon it he did.

The best I can make of this situation is its a tragic accident. If Mr. Martin had been caring a firearm yes Mr. Zimmerman would be dead or maybe both would have been dead. The past histories of both parties indicate they are not angels, but not devils worthy of a death sentence either.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum