New Rig - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The UN has found no Weapons of Mass Destruction here.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-07-27, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: New Rig

Keep in mind for 120Hz montors you need HIGH mins not just averages to actually notice this. With that in mind you either need multi GPU to keep the frames up or a good single gpu with lower settings. I don't want to do either, which is why I settled on IPS.
Old 2012-07-27, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
NumbaOneStunna
Sergeant

I would rather have a 60hz IPS monitor over a 120hz TN monitor.

With that being said you can get 27" 2560x1440 IPS 120hz monitors for $320.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1675393 the thread is 172 pages long, but its worth skimming through it.
Old 2012-07-27, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Keep in mind for 120Hz montors you need HIGH mins not just averages to actually notice this. With that in mind you either need multi GPU to keep the frames up or a good single gpu with lower settings. I don't want to do either, which is why I settled on IPS.
Sort of true. To get the maximum effect you need the video card to output the full 120FPS, but even at 85Hz you will notice an improvement. The desktop can easily run at 120hz so when not gaming, the general use of the PC will seem smoother.

Originally Posted by NumbaOneStunna View Post
I would rather have a 60hz IPS monitor over a 120hz TN monitor.

With that being said you can get 27" 2560x1440 IPS 120hz monitors for $320.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1675393 the thread is 172 pages long, but its worth skimming through it.
Be wary of this. I have read allot about the Catleaps and actually getting to 120Hz is rare. You are also getting A- panels made for the Korean game shops which are lower quality than the consumer panels sold in the EU & US markets. Although most Catleaps with 2B PCB's are able to hit 100Hz reliably, but the solution is far from plug'n'play like a standard TN 120hz. IF you really are interested in the Catleaps I suggest you read THIS first.

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-07-27 at 02:24 PM.
Old 2012-07-27, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
NumbaOneStunna
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
Sort of true. To get the maximum effect you need the video card to output the full 120FPS, but even at 85Hz you will notice an improvement. The desktop can easily run at 120hz so when not gaming, the general use of the PC will seem smoother.

Be wary of this. I have read allot about the Catleaps and actually getting to 120Hz is rare. You are also getting A- panels made for the Korean game shops which are lower quality than the consumer panels sold in the EU & US markets. Although most Catleaps with 2B PCB's are able to hit 100Hz reliably, but the solution is far from plug'n'play like a standard TN 120hz. IF you really are interested in the Catleaps I suggest you read THIS first.
There are specific models of the Catleaps that do 120hz, just because it says Catleap doesn't mean it will do 120hz. Need to read the hardforum thread to find out which ones.

I dont care about 120hz though, that's a gimmick. I only care for the resolution, screensize and IPS panel.
Old 2012-07-27, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

I dont care about 120hz though, that's a gimmick.
Have you played a first person shooter on a 120hz monitor actually running near 120FPS? It's no gimmick, if you can't see the difference, that's not good (for you).
Old 2012-07-27, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
NumbaOneStunna
Sergeant

Have you played a first person shooter on a 120hz monitor actually running near 120FPS? It's no gimmick, if you can't see the difference, that's not good (for you).
Ive used 75, 85 and 120hz CRT monitors.

Its a gimmick.

The same fad/craze happened with CRT monitors back in the day.
Old 2012-07-27, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Ive used 75, 85 and 120hz CRT monitors.

Its a gimmick.

The same fad/craze happened with CRT monitors back in the day.
I guess I can agree with some aspects of 120hz being a "gimmick". Mainly the "3D" part. On the other hand, if 120hz in and of itself was a gimmick, why does just about every competitive gamer use 120hz and swear by them.
Old 2012-07-27, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
NumbaOneStunna
Sergeant

I guess I can agree with some aspects of 120hz being a "gimmick". Mainly the "3D" part. On the other hand, if 120hz in and of itself was a gimmick, why does just about every competitive gamer use 120hz and swear by them.
Well, alot of "competitive" gamers swear by these too: http://www.gunnars.com/

Thats not really a valid argument point.

120hz IS beneficial for 3D, so that you can get both sides at 60hz each though.
Old 2012-07-27, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
SwampFox
Private

I guess my big question here is: How do I push 120 mhz without sacrificing graphics quality? Would I have to start off with 670's SLI'd? I'm sorry guys, the whole monitor debate has just gone a little over my head...
Old 2012-07-27, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
NumbaOneStunna
Sergeant

Originally Posted by SwampFox View Post
I guess my big question here is: How do I push 120 mhz without sacrificing graphics quality? Would I have to start off with 670's SLI'd? I'm sorry guys, the whole monitor debate has just gone a little over my head...
Well you would need cards capable of 120 FPS minimum on the details setting you desire.

I would NOT sacrifice image quality just to run at 120 FPS, it defeats the purpose. So, basically you would need video cards capable of running at high/ultra high settings at over 120 FPS minimum. Which is no easy task.

I dont even think SLI'ed 680's could do it in Battlefield 3. Planetside 2 maybe but nobody knows yet.
Old 2012-07-27, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Very few setups can run the most recent AAA titles on the highest settings at the full 120hz. But, like I posted earlier, even 85hz is a noticeable improvement over 60hz. Your mileage will vary, but the the setup I posted can be upgraded to 2 gtx670's in SLI when you get the money.

References:
Tomshardware BF3 Ultra Details, 16AF, 1920x1080, No AA 100 FPS
LegitReviews BF3 Ultra Settings, 1920x1080 72.6 FPS

Well you would need cards capable of 120 FPS minimum on the details setting you desire.

I would NOT sacrifice image quality just to run at 120 FPS, it defeats the purpose. So, basically you would need video cards capable of running at high/ultra high settings at over 120 FPS minimum. Which is no easy task.

I dont even think SLI'ed 680's could do it in Battlefield 3. Planetside 2 maybe but nobody knows yet.
1. GTX 670's in SLI smashes BF3 on ultra settings. They will get well over 100FPS.
2. You do NOT need to get the full 120FPS to see the improvement. 85hz will look much better than 60hz, but getting to 120hz is surreal.

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-07-27 at 03:31 PM.
Old 2012-07-27, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
SwampFox
Private

Ok, I think I follow now. Does anyone know why this 120mhz is priced so low? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ica-_-24009222
Old 2012-07-27, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Ok, I think I follow now. Does anyone know why this 120mhz is priced so low? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ica-_-24009222
That was one of the first generation 120hz/3D monitors (but well liked for its time). Nvidia has updated to "3D Vision 2" now which changed some things on the monitors, this has reduced the price of the first generation. The BenQ monitor I listed is a second gen version, but does not come with the extra 3D hardware. You can however buy it if you so desire. The BenQ with the 3D hardware is $499
Old 2012-07-27, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I wouldn't get either of those two. I heard the Acer is bad over all in regards to input lag I think and the BenQ is too expensive. The cheaper BenQ isn't bad from what I hear. However when I was looking into these sounded like the ASUS VG236H and Planar SA2311W (seems out of production now).
Old 2012-07-27, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I wouldn't get either of those two. I heard the Acer is bad over all in regards to input lag I think and the BenQ is too expensive. The cheaper BenQ isn't bad from what I hear. However when I was looking into these sounded like the ASUS VG236H and Planar SA2311W (seems out of production now).
I have an acer H243H and I have no input lag. Love this monitor. Came with a dead pixel, tho.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum