New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2 - Page 15 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where the staff gets drunk on KFC gravy.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like a single person mech in the game? (Please read the thread before posti
I don't like single person bipedal mechs and don't want them in the game 153 75.37%
I want single person mechs, but don't like this implementation. (Explain below) 11 5.42%
I support this implementation 28 13.79%
Other Reason (Explain below) 11 5.42%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-07, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #211
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Re: New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2

I want Transformers. Tanks that turn into mechs. Make it happen?
Old 2011-10-07, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #212
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

I could see a walker suit for infantry that is like the one's from Avatar, and their only real niche on the battlefield would be to provide some heavier armor in mountainous/canyon regions where only infantry/aircraft are going to be fighting anyway.

SMALL mechs, like maybe only slightly larger than a MAX suit, will probably be what we see, if any at all, since the term mech, BFR, walker, what-have-you all have negative connotations around here.
Old 2011-10-07, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #213
Mirror
First Sergeant

The poll is kinda one sided.

Do we have a bin or some sort of shredder for this thread?

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2011-10-07, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #214
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by NapalmEnima View Post
Upright walkers are simply inferior to tanks.
Exactly. A tank shell AV round would rip through the delicate components of a mech that give it its maneuverability.

Originally Posted by NapalmEnima View Post
Really big mechs are dumb.
100% agree. The scale I described in my original post was twice the size of a soldier. For references that's:

Originally Posted by xSlideShow View Post
I want Transformers. Tanks that turn into mechs. Make it happen?
Sony has another game called Starhawk where a mech turns into a plane. I actually agree that those kinds of things would be cool to see, however the animation budget for such "cool" ideas probably isn't there. Maybe later.

Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
Not sure what you expected. Most people haven't even read the first post. They just assumed this was a BFR thread. As I mentioned a while back the poll is basically worthless at this point especially after Hamma erroneously started merging BFR threads into my thread.
Old 2011-10-07, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #215
SgtMAD
Captain

Originally Posted by Mirror View Post

Do we have a bin or some sort of shredder for this thread?
AMEN
Old 2011-10-07, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #216
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post

Not sure what you expected. Most people haven't even read the first post. They just assumed this was a BFR thread. As I mentioned a while back the poll is basically worthless at this point especially after Hamma erroneously started merging BFR threads into my thread.
What crap you just decided that this is the case because you are a mech fanboy. Mechs and tanks should never be in the same game.
Old 2011-10-07, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #217
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
What crap you just decided that this is the case because you are a mech fanboy.
"Fanboy" would be going a bit far. I only liked the Mechwarrior and Armored Core series. Most of the Mech chasis in Armored Core were dumb. Same reason I don't like gundum or any of the mech Anime. Humanoid Mechs like the Vanu BFR to me are lame. Chicken leg Mechs are pretty much the only ones I like.

Mechs and tanks should never be in the same game.
Probably because you associate a Mech as being an alternative to a Tank. If you read the first post (thus my previous comment you scoffed at), you'll notice I proposed using the bipedal chassis for a vehicle that is completely different than the role a tank chassis would fulfill.
Old 2011-10-07, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #218
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

But it doesn't, you are proposing what would effectively be a light tank that walks. Can we not just let this thread die the poll speaks for its self mechs are not wanted in planetside in any form by the mass majority.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-10-07, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #219
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

This thread and the terrible idea that spawned it needs to die a horrible death.
Old 2011-10-07, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #220
Sirisian
Colonel

But it doesn't, you are proposing what would effectively be a light tank that walks.
I never really went into an AV focus or said it would have AV cannons. That was open for discussion.

Having armor piercing machine guns on the arms then AV/AA rockets with limited ammo was actually my ideal mech setup. So no not really a light tank at all. What were you imagining? I'm genuinely curious how others view mechs and why the idea is so unappealing.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-10-07 at 06:19 PM.
Old 2011-10-07, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #221
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
This thread and the terrible idea that spawned it needs to die a horrible death.
No read Siriasian's sig it is one of the "Best Planetside 2 Ideas" that most of the planetside players here are overwhelmingly opposed to.

Simple point that I tried to make in one of the "BUT THEY AREN"T BFRS!!!11!!" threads over on the offical PS forums a while ago.

If you look through the comments of random postings about PS, which there is a growing amount with PS2 now, or all kinds of really old and most viewed planetside vids on Youtube there are soooo many quotes by people that say something along the lines of "Wow I remember that game! One of my most favorites ever played from release until BFRs!" If you compare statements like this found all over the interwebs it would seem at least 1/2 the people to have ever quit the game did so because of BFRs, or at least in their memory if it wasn't the direct reason it SYMBOLIZES to them what went wrong with the game.
For most of those people and everyone else who currently plays and may simply dislike but overlook current BFRs making something that hints at, smells like or in anyway begins to resemble a BFR, which your mechs do, would be looked at as a direct slap in the face and a big steam pile of admitted fail by the dev team.

Simply if it looks anything like a BFR, it makes people think of everything that has ever been bad about Planetside. Like it or not, rational, fair or otherwise that is simply the case.

So let it go.
Old 2011-10-07, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #222
Captain B
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
I could see a walker suit for infantry that is like the one's from Avatar, and their only real niche on the battlefield would be to provide some heavier armor in mountainous/canyon regions where only infantry/aircraft are going to be fighting anyway.
I totally thought about that last night. I'd personally like to see BFR-sized vehicles again, maybe with directional shields or something (something that has to be upgraded and such to mitigate damage), but nothing like they were. I think the high jumps and flying crap was stupid, but I didn't mind their aesthetic or what they COULD have been in the game.
Old 2011-10-07, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #223
Captain B
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
or at least in their memory if it wasn't the direct reason it SYMBOLIZES to them what went wrong with the game.
For most of those people and everyone else who currently plays and may simply dislike but overlook current BFRs making something that hints at, smells like or in anyway begins to resemble a BFR, which your mechs do, would be looked at as a direct slap in the face and a big steam pile of admitted fail by the dev team.
This is a common aspect of all games. For those who played UO, most people hear "Trammel" and freak out, when the world became consensual PvP only. They hear "Renaissance" ruleset and remember Trammel and it's "OMG SO GAY CAREBEAR FUCKS."

The reality is Renaissance was a vastly superior gameplay upgrade to the normal game, and incorporated a lot of cool stuff. In fact, the only thing that sucked about it was the loss of non-consent PvP and Felucca. However, you'd be hard pressed to find a UO vet that can take a deep breath, review the facts, and admit to this without flipping out and stabbing someone in the neck.

Just because it's similar or had a quality that made them suck, doesn't mean the entire idea of it sucks. Like sandbox-style, non-consent PvP (PKing, stealing, etc.). Those style MMOs don't really exist anymore; if they do, they tend to blow and either fail or have some pretty shitty numbers. It isn't because non-consent PvP is inherently bad, but punishing murderers and thieves for forcing their will on players and then getting caught or killed isn't any different than dying as a good guy. There's no incentive to be good, nor is there any real fear of consequence in being evil.

It's one quality, one aspect that ruins the whole name or concept or idea, but sadly that's the case with a lot of things in life.

Last edited by Captain B; 2011-10-07 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Double-post - sorry!
Old 2011-10-07, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #224
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Originally Posted by Captain B View Post
I totally thought about that last night. I'd personally like to see BFR-sized vehicles again, maybe with directional shields or something (something that has to be upgraded and such to mitigate damage), but nothing like they were. I think the high jumps and flying crap was stupid, but I didn't mind their aesthetic or what they COULD have been in the game.
Meh. Put all the effort into designing Big, Sensible 5+ seat vehicles. I want to crew a B17 Flying Fortress that has been Planetside-ificationized. 8 turrets, plus pilot, copilot, comm guy, and bombardier. Drop the copilot & comms, and that's a crew of 10... but I think the bombardier may have crewed the nose turret, not sure.

How goddam awesome would that be?

I want to crew a battleship with treads. Instead of a bunch of 50 cals and some bombs, how about a combination of AA missiles, AI MGs, and some Great Big Cannons?
Old 2011-10-07, 07:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #225
Captain B
First Sergeant

I agree, but if it's a single-man mech, like the Avatar mechs, that'd be neat (like bi-pedal Lightnings) to offer support, but also BFR-like mechs with drivers and gunners and more maneuverability, but less potential dakka or at the very least speed (tank driving down the road is gonna' get where it needs to go much faster).
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion