[PSA] What are your top 3 bases or outposts in PlanetSide 2? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2014-01-13, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Luperza
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

[PSA] What are your top 3 bases or outposts in PlanetSide 2?

Hi there PlanetSide Universe folks!

I'm just stopping in to ask if you'd all take a moment to go to the PlanetSide 2 forums and answer the question that is the title of this thread: What are your top 3 bases and or outposts in PlanetSide 2?

You'll find the post here: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...side-2.167594/ .

Thank you all for your time and we can't wait to hear your feedback!

Note: All my posts are mine and mine alone. They have not been reviewed or approved by Sony Online Entertainment (“SOE”), and they do not necessarily reflect or express the views of SOE itself.

Last edited by Luperza; 2014-01-13 at 07:01 PM.
Old 2014-01-14, 12:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
synkrotron
First Sergeant

Misc Info
Re: [PSA] What are your top 3 bases or outposts in PlanetSide 2?

I've just had a look at that post.

Personally, I would have different favorites depending on whether I was attacking or defending, but your format does not allow reasons to be given for that choice.

It's a shame that... I think that the results would have been more interesting.

Also, I cannot create an account to post there because it recognises that I am from Europe and sends me to the Pro7 sign up page. I already have a Pro7 account, of course, but that does not allow me to sign onto the SOE forums.

Is there a way around this?
Old 2014-01-14, 02:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Mordelicius
Major

Tawrich Tech Plant
- Can be attacked from 3 sides.
- Each of the satellites are interesting and open to attack in many ways.
- The network of roads and entryways between the Tech Plant and the satellites are brilliant.
- These series of bases are always on fire during Tech plant alerts

Andvari Biolab
- Can be attacked from 3 sides (N, E, S)
- The North to South lanes so fun to fight in. There's always a back and forth, going up and down. What's great is, the long lane is capped by a tower from the south and the north.
- The Eastern flank/lane of the Biolab is awesome as well, since it leads to interesting areas
- During Esamir Alerts, this area is always hot. The flow of battles are so good, only stopping at powerful defensive chokepoint bases like Towers, Eisa, or the Octagon.

Crossroads Watchtower
- There are so many great towers, especially in Indar! Indar Excavation, Regent Rock Garrison and Crimson Tower Bluff (in that order). But Crossroads is the best of them all, (narrowly better than Indar Excavation because it is smack dab in the middle of Indar and a very busy position).
- Can be attacked on all sides!
- The transition to other bases, Xenotech, Snake Ravine, or Broken Arch roads is very fluid.
- The mountain over looking NE has to be guarded from Tank, Max, turret, sniper campers.
- The C cap point gives a natural cover for Sunderer
- The B Cap point is also gorgeous. It can be defended and attacked in so many ways!
- And Main Tower point has to be covered from tanks shelling/camping from the old 'Magrider Hill' north as well.
- The trees give natural cover for attackers coming from Xenotech hill.
- The Bridge area has an walkway under it. That walkway is also connected to the north entrance and altogether wrapped around C where the attackers use it as a flanking or staging area. There are so many layers to it!
- There are so many ways to approach this base. It is such a brilliant layout.

Overall thoughts:
- PLEASE do not think of it as just a base. Think of it as a base and its transition to other bases. These bases can be attacked in so many ways and smooth transition aids in fomenting a fight.
- That tiny, empty building between Quartz Ridge and Indar Excavation is a great example. It is used to be an empty death zone. Now, whoever wins that empty lot attacks the next base! Now that NC is out of the SE corner, it will be great to see the Indar Excav-Quartz Ridge - Coramed Triangle once more!
- Both sides will actually fight for that empty forward base. It is proof that Cap points aren't really needed on outposts! They should add more of these abandoned buildings between two hard-to-capture bases.
Old 2014-01-14, 04:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
ringring
Contributor
General

Personally I like the bases that are:-
- not spread out, it's easy to get back into the action
- not chaotic, you need to be able to play the layout as well as have some kind
- separates vehicles from the infantry fights (and I think they should stop harassers going where they shouldn't)

So, I rule out bases like Amp Stations, too chaotic and spread out for me (the newer design is even more chaotic imho). It also rules out Andvari Frozen Reservoir for the same reasons.

I do like nearly all towers and nearly all Bio Labs. Towers produce a good fight no matter how many people are there but Bio's sometimes don't and when they do they are often over too quickly because of the daft short timer.

From my point of view the problem with the walls on Esamir are that stuff like finding your way in or out is hard. Something that can be fixed easily surely.

The bases I chose as my best three are:-
1. Snowsheer Watchtower - very often good fights and can be intense(I like attacking and defending)
2. Octagon - it's one of those where it needs quite a few people but when enough are there there are good fights. I like to two tier and the walls ofc.
3. Palos Solar Array - very good fights can occur. There are choke points and also the walls make LA a good option.
Old 2014-01-14, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Vyvien
Private

My top three bases/outposts:

1. Crimson Bluff

2. Snowshear Watchtower

3. Crossroads Watchtower

Last edited by Vyvien; 2014-01-14 at 04:42 PM.
Old 2014-01-15, 05:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

1). Tumas Tech-Plant
I love the open field in the south, the mountains to the west and the thick patch of trees to the east... and the paths with the cement tunnels give great flanking options between the three satellites that usually provide unique firefights.

2). Chimney Rock Depot
I love that the A point is just surrounded by these thick trees offering tons of natural cover that make it slightly difficult for tanks/aircraft to strafe infantry.

3). Genudine Physics Lab
I love that this facility is smack dab in the center of a thick tree grove, south of the facility across a field there's a small natural trench with vines growing off the rocks that make for a unique approach when attacking the small outpost, I love this facility so much!

After seeing Esamire and these giant black walls, I want to see what the devs can do with barriers against tanks or aircraft that look... natural and not forced like Esamire came across. Making the environment look practical or natural just adds to the immersion of the universe your fighting in. As much as I love the new designs to bases on Esamire, a lot of the environments looked forced to cater to MLG players and not naturally formed, environments didn't look battle ready/Militarily practical to me.

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2014-01-15 at 07:48 AM.
Old 2014-01-15, 06:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
AThreatToYou
Major

I have to think pretty hard. Where have I had my most fun fights? Hm.

1) Snowshear Watchtower

This is from before the Esamir revamp, and now it lasts on to after. Snowshear is incredible because of the ridge surrounding it; it forms a soft-barrier between infantry and vehicle combat that I think should be a model for other bases where the devs want there to be continued vehicle and infantry combat throughout base capture. The fields between it and Palos/Crystal Ridge/Freyr also make for great battles.

Beyond Snowshear, it is really hard for me to choose.

2) Sungrey

I have some of my best PS2 memories in northern Amerish, particularly between Sungrey and NC Arsenal. Like Snowshear, there's some good fields, some good mountains, and a terrain barrier between the base proper and the open space outside.

3) Indar Bay Point

This reminds me of classic PS1 bridge battles with a PS2 twist. Everyone has a real hard time getting around here, so it's just a long, brutal slog over the bridge. The twist is, there's not terrain significant enough to shell the bridge and prevent an advance on either side, save for aircraft. There is however terrain underneath the bridge. A close second to this is Regent Rock Garrison, for different reasons of course, but it's a tower, on Indar, with limited mobility due to its proximity to a cliff--I like that.
Old 2014-01-15, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Chowley
Corporal

Anything on Amerish

Shadespire Farms - as odd as it sounds, it may just be nostalgia as it reminds me of one of the Dutch maps in COD 1. But I love fighting there, Wide open on one side and a slightly cluttered route to the point on the other. Just simplistic and entertaining.

The Bastion - Multiple levels done well.

Lithcorp Secure Mine.

Splitpeak Pass and Auraxis Firearms would be close to favourites as well along with the Ascent and Ravens Landing. Not that its common to have a good fight there. But anyway.
Old 2014-01-15, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

The fact we cannot express reasoning without being moderated make the exercise very shallow in value.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2014-01-15, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
The fact we cannot express reasoning without being moderated make the exercise very shallow in value.
I know which is why I posted here too as I know they read posts here.
Old 2014-01-15, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

It has to be moderated to work. You can't expect developers to read 500 posts, half of which are 2 pages long from people meandering and ranting about shit.
Old 2014-01-15, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by BlaxicanX View Post
It has to be moderated to work. You can't expect developers to read 500 posts, half of which are 2 pages long from people meandering and ranting about shit.
Why not? They want direction on what is the most important aspect of the game they should put the effort in to get a clear picture. Because they are still getting it wrong, vehicles can still spam control points and vehicles can camp spawns. While ever this is the case they have failed.

The biolab is the only proper base in the game.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2014-01-15, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
Why not? They want direction on what is the most important aspect of the game they should put the effort in to get a clear picture. Because they are still getting it wrong, vehicles can still spam control points and vehicles can camp spawns. While ever this is the case they have failed.
Agreed. Which is why I personally prefer the Interlink facility, even though it could do with some improvements. Only thing I'm really looking forward to is still Hossin.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2014-01-16, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Timithos
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
Agreed. Which is why I personally prefer the Interlink facility, even though it could do with some improvements. Only thing I'm really looking forward to is still Hossin.
Hey, we have more to look forward to then that. There's facilities on the Amerish revamp that have tunnels and caverns. And Clegg leaked that video showing a spawn room 3 stories underground. Chin up little campers. (err non-campers).
Old 2014-01-16, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Timithos View Post
Hey, we have more to look forward to then that. There's facilities on the Amerish revamp that have tunnels and caverns. And Clegg leaked that video showing a spawn room 3 stories underground. Chin up little campers. (err non-campers).
Now, that does indeed sound interesting!

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion