A new Hardcore Mode/Server thread. - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Leave the bitchin to us
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-26, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

Re: A new Hardcore Mode/Server thread.

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
There is a huge difference camping a corner getting easy kills vs defending a base for tactical reasons.
Did you know in real life warfare the corners are the most commonly camped area? It is why in MOUT they teach you to clear your corner when you first breach a room.
Old 2011-07-26, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Vecha
First Sergeant

I don't mind if it is added in later on...much later...when they see what Pops they have.

And they'd have to have pretty large Pops...Rather have as many players as possible on the three, four, five servers....then have two separate game types that split up the player base.
Old 2011-07-26, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by cashfoyogash View Post
Did you know in real life warfare the corners are the most commonly camped area? It is why in MOUT they teach you to clear your corner when you first breach a room.
Obviously that is true. Though in gaming it can hurt game play to a large extent. I am playing a game, so I do not want everything to be like what it is in RL. Camping is just lame, slows down game play, and gets players mad.
Old 2011-07-26, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

I do see where you are coming from and sometimes I get too caught up in how things are in real life, but I am sure people do it in games for the same reason people do it in RL. Just safer. Although you could possibly use the RL counter to it and breach the room in the same way. Never really tried that though and it may be hard to get the timing right in a game as you need to breach fast and smooth.
Old 2011-07-26, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Yes I know, but there is way to make camping the best way to get kills in a game. That is never implementing a game mechanic that makes it clearly the best way to get kills that makes everyone do it. In a 1 shot kill game even people who dread camping will be forced to do so to stay alive.
Old 2011-07-26, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Raymac
Brigadier General

I like campers in Planetside, because it's easy to get revenge since you know exactly where they are after you die. If you die to a camper in PS more than once, you probably deserve it.
Old 2011-07-26, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

I dont really like that idea i think that ps is ment to have factions for a reson if u want to shoot every one go play one of the other 100 fps games
Old 2011-07-26, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

EVE vs PS lag comparisons just don't make a heck of a lot of sense. EVE mostly has to worry about the inventory system and database throughput because weapons fire is simply an animation, but each bullet fired is an inventory item...and there's 6-8 guns on a battleship and upwards of several hundred of those on field at a time sometimes plus all the other junk.
PS has to calculate trajectories for guns but has no where near the inventory problems. It also has a hard upper limit on populations per continent. EVE will let you keep cramming people into a system until it fails.

I dont really like that idea i think that ps is ment to have factions for a reson if u want to shoot every one go play one of the other 100 fps games
Wat.
The only difference between the servers would be the amount of damage done by a bullet/missile/whatever, probably less HUD information and likely quicker spawn times.

Permadeath has nothing to do with it, free-for-all has nothing to do with it.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2011-07-26 at 12:14 PM.
Old 2011-07-26, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

It appears that everyone who is advocating different server types, faster TTK's, etc, did not play PS when there were multiple continents poplocked WITH smaller secondary fights happening. You didn't need near-instant kills in PlanetSide when there were hundreds in a battle, and now that there will be thousands, you even more so don't need near-instant kills.

IMO PlanetSide Classic's combat mode is the best one I've come across. Obviously it starts to fail when there are only 50 people online in the server, but that's because it was designed for hundreds.

I don't want different server types, if people want fast 1-2 hit kills, there are seriously hundreds of FPS options out there for you. PlanetSide didn't need different server types. And before you go into the, "But the game died didn't it?" argument, you need to realize that the game didn't die because of the way combat worked, it died because of bad implementation of new ideas.

Trust me, you will see how this all works when beta launches, with a possible thousand people in a fight, you are going to get kills and die so fast that you'll look back on this whole idea and thank god it wasn't happening any faster.
Old 2011-07-26, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
It appears that everyone who is advocating different server types, faster TTK's, etc, did not play PS when there were multiple continents poplocked WITH smaller secondary fights happening. You didn't need near-instant kills in PlanetSide when there were hundreds in a battle, and now that there will be thousands, you even more so don't need near-instant kills.
You are absolutely wrong. I played beta through 2005 plus my recent SOE-Hack free time.

you need to realize that the game didn't die because of the way combat worked, it died because of bad implementation of new ideas.
This can be argued over, but I didn't leave PS because of BFRs but mostly just forgot it because other shooters were simply blew past all of its mechanics save map size and player count.
Playing again, now, I can't stand how I have to lob 19 fucking missiles at a tank before it blows up, a guy with rexo can tank over 10 gauss bullets, no matter how meticulously aimed.
The reason I still love the game is the scale and premise, in spite of the particulars of the mechanics.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2011-07-26 at 03:32 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion