Ask The Devs Feedback - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Got Lashed?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2003-11-14, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
MOAB
Private

Originally Posted by perne
Again overall great interview. A little too fanboi'ish for my personal taste, but that was not to be unexpected considering the source. Afterall if you fellas didnt love every ounce of the game, this website wouldn't exist...
I was having a discussion with several of the PSU staff in the IRC channel (Mad_something and one other I don't recall ATM) regarding the 'difficulty' of the questions asked.

Simply put, yes this is a fan (i.e. fanatic, "A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.") site for PS, and I fully expect the majority of the people here to be generally positive of the game. Even to the point of failing to acknowledge it's current shortcommings.

However, while some new information came out of the nearly two hour interview, nearly every question asked (save 2-3 by my count) was skewed positively toward the game. (The 2-3 questions I counted I think were still skewed, but to a lesser degree. I believe the original phrasing of the questions was likely more critically worded, was was spun to some degree before asked.)

I, peronsally, find it hard to believe that 100% of the playerbase sees the game in nothing but a positive light. Even a stroll through the SOE fourms gives at least a passing glimpse at unhappyness (search for the words 'cancel', 'canceling', etc.). Unfortunately those no longer happy enough with the game to continue paying cannot comment on those forums.

I presented 2 questions for the devs, both strongly worded, but fair. The first had to deal with the continuing decline in server populations (ie http://www.dicepoint.net/Scripts/APlayers.php), and the second regarded long-standing stats problems.

The first issue was addressed by Sporkfire some time ago (pre CC) by saying (paraphrased) "it is our hope the expansion will increase the server populations." (I tried to find a direct quote, but the thread it was in has been deleted -- http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/018349.html.)

The second issue has been half-addressed with two responses. A Sporkfire "we'll look into it" regarding inaccurate outfit membership listings, as well as stating they expected to release new stats, something like what is available in-game. (See http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/019247.html and other posts in early Spetember, since deleted)

My point is this: There are some serious issues still outstanding with the game. If the "Ask The Devs" program wishes to accurately represent the playerbase, and truly be an advocate for the game, simply ignoring the tough questions/problems hurts us all. The best advocate is one who can balance the need to generate interest and portray things in a positive light, while at the same time helping to ensure that even the negative issues are brought up in hopes of resolving them.

Hamma and the rest of the PSU staff: I appalude your efforts, and hope that a little constructive criticism can bring about some positive change.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion