Disapointed in the lack of persistance in Planetside. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: ate my children!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-11-02, 09:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Nimbus
First Lieutenant

II agree, I like this thread. I think they really might need to add some more depth if they want people to continue paying to play. This combined with the technical problems is probably the cause of the low populations. I'm not really sure how to make the game more persistant though. It'd be really difficult without having to reset the world every month or so. Although I suppose...in a game with no storyline or anything that might not really bother people that much.
Old 2003-11-02, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by Spider
Ok sorry hamma. Let me change my response to:

Who would of expected that from an SOE game .
If you dont play or like PS anymore stay in the lounge.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-11-03, 12:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Searo
"It's an FPS, you shoot people, you blow shit up, what more do you want?"
-Hamma

Searo,

I've seen Hamma's comment before. There is a vast difference between me spending 12.99 a month on a game and me buying a game like half life and playing it's mods for over 5 years.

I expect something VERY different.

Essentially nothing has changed, look deep down into the core of what planetside is. You take over a base, you lose a base. It's a tug of war, back and forth.
Old 2003-11-03, 12:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Lise
That's "shake-ups", though, BDMJ. Val's talking about a sense of "permanence," the feeling as though you're actually accomplishing something.

Again, I'm open to ideas on how such a thing would be accomplished, but I can't see any that wouldn't end up wrecking gameplay.

Lise, I don't pretend to have all of the answers. I and many others have given the suggestions for something long term. Some sort of long term benefit for an empire.

The thing is, it could be multiple long term benefits. Not just one thing out there.

For instance:

The TR could have captured Ancient Technology that Enchances their Flying vehicles

The NC could have captured a Sphere the increases their stamina regeneration.

The Vanu could have captured an Ancient Weapons enhancer that makes their shots stronger.

Put neutral continents in the game that are difficult to capture. Have dynamically changing bases in them. One big giant fortress that empires fight over to capture a very important piece of technology.

Extremely large scale warfare where it would REQUIRE you to be more organized than just piggy backing these little modules around. Something that could REALLY signficantly effect the way your empire performs.

This is off the top of my head. Add in more dynamic content, persistance. Feeling like I were a part of something bigger as being a New Congolmerate soldier.

Just, after 4+ months now of doing the same thing is stale. CC hasn't changed that, it just adds a little different twist to it.
Old 2003-11-03, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma
Anyway I think this is a great topic, I too would like to have some large scale goal.. what BDMJ is interesting but like Lise said its not "persistant" more like a temporary goal.

This will be a great topic for our community night I think. And a great topic for our developer interview as well. It is an FPS, but it is an MMO, it should be a bit more persistant than it currently is.

Hamma,

I would like to bring more stimulating thought to the boards now. I hope Dallas and Sporkfire read these threads.

I'm just getting a little burned out lately on the repetitivness and I hope they took this feedback seriously.
Old 2003-11-03, 12:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Valcron
Master Sergeant

e
Old 2003-11-03, 12:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Ughh Sorry I keep hitting quotes by accident.
Old 2003-11-03, 12:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Core Combat added a huge persistent element: Vortex Modules. The depth of strategy that they provide will keep any commander busy. A lot of people seem to think that they've 'beaten the game' by getting br20 or because they can Surge with their empire Heavy Assault weapon and kill a lot. I'll go out on a limb here and say you haven't even approached 'beating the game' if you haven't learned your way around the caverns, risked life and limb trying to find the perfect base to reinforce with a module or deployed a Router or Flail in an ingenious way.

I think a lot of people think they're King of the World, but I assure you Surge, Reaver, Heavy Assault and the AI MAXs are just small pieces in the Pie of Ultimate Ownership.

Don't proclaim yourself TEH WINNAR until you've really done it all.

(subliminal message) GO BUY CORE COMBAT (end subliminal message)

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2003-11-03, 12:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by BDMJ
Yes, my ideas are not as long term as what Valcron seems to want, but I don't think truely long term content could be implemented without wrecking game balance. My proposed ideas give temporary objectives that generate a sense of accomplishment, a limited sense of persistance, and a definite goal.

BDMJ. Maybe a truly persistant world change couldn't actually take effect. But, maybe I'm speaking more of something lasting weeks, not just days here.

There has to be something better out there that we fight over. Not just bases, but something different.

What if the world could actually reset after a certain number of things happened? What if we were to capture X amount of enemy continents that the world leaders of the Vanu and TR were to concede the war and have a reset? The end result would be home continents would change. Imagine NC's home continent being Oshur, and the Vanu's cyssor?

Just a thought.
Old 2003-11-03, 02:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
BDMJ
First Sergeant

I like those ideas. There would have to be stronger benefits for population deficient empires though, because I see that sort of permenance as encouraging having one stacked empire versus two gimped ones. We already see it with the population swings that simple weapon changes bring. If one side begins to steadily win the server, it will pick up tons of "empire hopping n00blar bastards".

Perhaps give each continent lock a specific benefit (really powerful ones too), and make the warpgates lock when the continent locks, only allowing them to unlock if the continent connected to them is locked also, and only for that one gate. I.E. if the Terrans wanted to attack solsar when it was locked, either forseral or ceryshen would have to be locked. This would make defense a true priority and reward it well. Longer continent locks would really add a sense of permenance to the game as home continents would really feel like constant friendly territory. Benefits may be increased weapon power, faster vehicle timers, backup generators, faster hart times, or timed tower hacks. All these benefits would be global for the empire controling them. Maybe searhus could have a special value attached to it to encourgae fighting on it. Perhaps if searhus was locked, it would allow ancient modules to trigger as flbs. Some excuse like it gives access to the ancient vanu network to transmit those benefits. It would be stupidly powerful, encourage CC purchasing, searhus fighting, and give fighting a greater meaning than it currently has.
Old 2003-11-03, 03:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Flammey
Lieutenant Colonel

I'll give you the reason that Planetside is better than many other games. It's larger. Compare it from Medal of Honor:Allied Assault.
Reason 1 - MOHAA - I can run around a MOHAA map in under a minute, killing up to 31 other guys. PS- I can run around a Continent in, OH, an hour, killing way way over 1000 other players.
Reason 2 - MOHAA - I have to deal with mass cheaters. Wall hacks, Neon Skins, Speed Hacks, Invisibilty hacks, Weapon hacks, Instant shot hacks, Instant Aim Hacks. Aim bots. Neeed I go on????? PS - I don't have to deal with many cheaters. Some people find and use exploits, yes, but SOE usually patchs those so they no longer work. I only can speculate about people cheating. Except for the odd person. Better than MOHAA where almost everyone cheats just to see who can get the highest score.
I could give you many many more reasons compared to other games, but I don't need to. Those two are enough as it is.

As for how to make PS better? I could give many ways. But I won't do that. I don't have enough time, and I don't bitch about the games I play much. Usually only bitch on the heat of the moment. My buddy could attest to that.

Last edited by Flammey; 2003-11-03 at 03:38 AM.
Old 2003-11-03, 03:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
keaoi
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by flypengy
I think people look for far too much in this game. Games such as CS, Unreal, etc will have players play for years and these have NO long time goal (at least none remotely compared to PS).

I think things can be done to encourage sticking with the game and remove the tedium involved with it. Since this does vaguely combine a RPG element to the game with the exp system. Once you've maxed out a char, you find little else to focus on. Unless it is stat whoring.
well these games also have no monthly subscription, unlike planetside. i think val's $13 (just like mine) are starting to feel like theyre buying less and less.

a thought just occured to me that one of my favorite places to fight was Seaharus. Mostly because of the fact that its not a home cont. What if the number of home conts fell to like 1. Say VS had Amerish. Meaning that 3 conts are home conts, and 7 are neutral. one of the few things that really pisses me off in this game is that when say the VS hossin invasion is going well, a l33t ninja hacks azeban. ok np. just a lone ninja.

<Global> "random cr5 name (90% of them are guilty of this)" OMFG FALL BACK! FALL BACK!! AMERISH IS UNDER SIEGE!! HOLY SHIT!!!

thus the zerg ("support") follows the global, and we get stomped.

cant take anything without the zerg.

with fewer home conts, the invasion would most likely be ongoing.

Last edited by keaoi; 2003-11-03 at 03:54 AM.
Old 2003-11-03, 05:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by keaoi
well these games also have no monthly subscription, unlike planetside. i think val's $13 (just like mine) are starting to feel like theyre buying less and less.

a thought just occured to me that one of my favorite places to fight was Seaharus. Mostly because of the fact that its not a home cont. What if the number of home conts fell to like 1. Say VS had Amerish. Meaning that 3 conts are home conts, and 7 are neutral. one of the few things that really pisses me off in this game is that when say the VS hossin invasion is going well, a l33t ninja hacks azeban. ok np. just a lone ninja.

<Global> "random cr5 name (90% of them are guilty of this)" OMFG FALL BACK! FALL BACK!! AMERISH IS UNDER SIEGE!! HOLY SHIT!!!

thus the zerg ("support") follows the global, and we get stomped.

cant take anything without the zerg.

with fewer home conts, the invasion would most likely be ongoing.

At least when I was paying for Everquest there was some sort of persistance in the world.
Old 2003-11-03, 06:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

I don't know. I understand the feelings that desire a "victory condition", but I wonder if once we get that, or attain that, will we be satisfied then as well? Will we then require SOE to engineer an even larger or more dramatic "victory condition"?

The other night I found a victory. It wasn't earth shattering, but it provided for me the joy that I desire from a game playing with friends, and it made the 13 bucks I pay each month worth it. Myself and a small squad of Dragon Wolves (5 or 6) piled into a Deliverer (we affectionately call it our Escalade) and we trooped off to the local candy store (an enemy base with lots of modules) snuck in, grabbed a module, ran out and jumped in the Deliverer. Off we went! We did some fighting along the way and finally got back home and installed the module.

Was this a noticable victory on the planet Auraxis? Probably not, but myself and my little team had a blast doing it. I found victory in that. Yes, it could be argued that after a while this too will become boring. Well, maybe next time we will take two modules from two different bases using different tactics or vehicles. It is really up to us how we enjoy this game. We can rely on SOE to find ways to make it interesting, or we can make ways for ourselves. If we find ways for ourselves and SOE throws something in once in a while, that will satisfy me!

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
Old 2003-11-03, 07:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
DramaticFanatic
First Sergeant

Consistent or persistent?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion