John Smedley talks PlanetSide - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I didn't know they could reject these!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Site News and Discussions

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2009-10-12, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Derfud
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Re: John Smedley talks PlanetSide

Eventually SOE will make a successful game, let's hope that this is it.
Old 2009-10-12, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Derfud View Post
Eventually SOE will make a successful game, let's hope that this is it.
Planetside *was* a success, but it's difficult to tell how SOE determines value.

For example, my outfit was formed specifically for Planetside when we first heard the news about this revolutionary game. We were a loyal, active, competitive outfit for about four years non-stop, and to this day we are still actively seeing players log into the outfit. Many of the people in my outfit became personal/real-life friends. I have formed bonds with phantom gamers that I've only previously experienced inside my military service. Our "outfit" is now a multi-game "guild" (bloody hell I hate that stupid word) that has been in existence for almost seven years. We have annual get-togethers and many of us still fondly remember the days of Planetside. We even had a long-running thread called "So There I Was" where we would tell our favorite stories from Planetside. I don't see myself wanting to go to any other "guild" without my battle buddies from BWC. I don't recall having ever had this type of experience in any computer game past or present, MMO or e-sports shooter. I'd consider that a success.

SOE may be making Planetside 2, but how faithful to the concept of Planetside will it be? More to the point - I am a jaded, bitter, cynical man who is extremely stingy with his MMO money especially in THIS economy. If SOE wants my dollar and wants me to devote time to this game, it has some seriously difficult work ahead of it. I've been burned before, and I'm adult enough to remember instead of hopping on with the next big thing and hoping for sunshiney days.

Last edited by Firefly; 2009-10-12 at 06:44 PM.
Old 2009-10-13, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Fishsticks
Private

Misc Info

Smed, thank you very much for comming on PSU to chat with us all. I am so happy that you are really into this next project. It is not often that someone of your status is willing to come on here and address some of the concerns players are having. Thanks again!

Regards,
Fishsticks
Planetside Forum Moderator

Edit: Not kissing butt, just happy to see your support

Last edited by Fishsticks; 2009-10-14 at 05:48 AM.
Old 2009-10-13, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Espion
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Smed View Post
I think we learned a lot from Planetside and I think you'll like the next one even better and we'll be able to make a believer out of you.

Can you give us any indication of how far along PlanetSide Next is in the development process, and what they're doing to improve upon the mistakes that are still present in PlanetSide?

Speaking of the mistakes still present in PlanetSide, nothing has been mentioned about its future development other than your initial statement to PSU. Could you perhaps pass it down the chain to keep us informed? If you're intent is to improve this planetside before the next game comes out, I think now would be a good time to involve the players more in decision making. We certainly haven't been listened to over the past 6 years, and look where the game is now.
Old 2009-10-14, 08:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Espion View Post
If you're intent is to improve this planetside before the next game comes out, I think now would be a good time to involve the players more in decision making.
I sincerely hope SOE is not expending any resources on PS1.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2009-10-16, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
JimJamJamie
Private

Hello one and all - I'm a new member to PSU but I've had a long relationship with PlanetSide.

First of all, I am very happy to see that Smed is personally addressing the issues of PlanetSide members (even the less civilised ones..) - this step is definitely in the right direction, in my opinion - getting involved in the community, which is what I'd like to focus on.

Get involved - Don't create a barrier between the developer and the community, the forum is a gold mine of feedback and opinions - the combined gameplay experience of the forum regulars would probably make a QA team jealous!

Also, we are a creative bunch when it comes to things we care about - a Suggestions thread is definitely a good idea during and after development.

Advertising - the community can make alot of noise if they want to - fansite kits and promotional material that the fans and players can use such as forum avatars and signatures, adverts they can put on their own websites/blogs in conjuction with official support can really make the difference. We would be happy to help.

Don't forget about the popular video game websites for exposure - Gamershell, GameTrailers, IGN and the like have huge userbases. Don't forget YouTube either.

I really can't stress enough how much more appealing a game is when the players are able to make a difference to the game and get involved. From a business point of view I'm sure you can see the benefits - as long as we get paid in patches and love we're happy!

I'd be interested in opinions on this post, don't hesistate to PM me or reply here.

P.S: You better read this Smed, or it'll be going to your email (and I know your inbox gives you nightmares)!

Last edited by JimJamJamie; 2009-10-16 at 10:58 AM.
Old 2009-10-17, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Hamma
PSU Admin

Hey Man welcome aboard

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2009-12-14, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
goneglockin
Sergeant

Also saying hello and I'll be watching for news on "Next" closely. I've been PlanetSide free for over 2 years now. Still miss the early days because absolutely nothing out there has ever come close since.

Spent my time in FEAR MP and BF 2142 as xDarc.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Site News and Discussions