Bunny Hopping - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: My trigger finger is getting tired
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-22, 01:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Wahooo
Captain

Bunny Hopping

I hate it. I always have in every shooter.

One of those things that bothers me to an irrational point. I feel justified in hating it... but my hate for it is to an unreasonable level. Just needed to get it off my chest.
Old 2013-02-22, 02:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rothnang
Major

Re: Bunny Hopping

Agree with you completely.

Jumping should seriously fuck up your aim for a short time after, it's not something you should do in the middle of a fight to take less damage.
Old 2013-02-22, 02:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Do you feel bad because there are players out there who can move and jump around and still keep their aim on you while you can't? it's called skill, I don't see why skill should be punished. There already is a huge loss in accuracy if you jump.

.sent via phone.

Last edited by Sturmhardt; 2013-02-22 at 02:48 AM.
Old 2013-02-22, 03:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

It's called, really obnoxious to look at for some inexplicable reason.

And for those who wish to split hairs that it's not "bunny hopping", you clearly have never wounded a rabbit with a 22 caliber rifle.
Old 2013-02-22, 03:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
psijaka
Contributor
Major

I've not noticed widespread bunnyhopping in PS2, but I would agree that is irritating and unrealistic. Not a big problem though, and it would be difficult to intorduce a mechanic to prevent it without impacting upon more useful uses of "space".

Last edited by psijaka; 2013-02-22 at 08:13 AM.
Old 2013-02-22, 03:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
luvthesnapper
Private

I know. I've also witnessed rampant jetpacking by light assualts, to gain an advantage...
Old 2013-02-22, 03:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
typhaon
Sergeant Major

They way to fix it is simple.

Just make it so you can't shoot for about 0.5 after jumping...

* doesn't impact navigating terrain.
* still leaves jumping as a means to dodge fire and get to a safe spot to fight back.

... but, it doesn't let you become the jumping, shooting gun-ninja.
Old 2013-02-22, 04:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Agree completely with the OP, it drives me absolutely nuts.

I don't care whether it requires skill or not, I would love to see it completely removed from the game.

I like typhaon's suggestion of disabling shooting for a short time after jumping, although TBH I'd actually prefer it if bunny-hopping away wasn't even really viable as a defensive play.

I always thought PS1's stamina system was an absolutely perfect deterrent for bunny-hopping, but I guess we're very unlikely to see that return at this stage.

Also: I do think that LA's jump-jetting around to avoid being hit is potentially a problem too - it seems to drive the game a little nuts and leads to some very eccentric movement on the attacker's screen. Not sure what can be done to fix this though.

Old 2013-02-22, 04:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Why is LAs jumpjetting around a problem? Isn't the whole "theme" of LA mobility? Besides, a jumpjetting LA moves a lot less erratically than someone bunny hopping.
Old 2013-02-22, 04:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Yup. Bunny hoping is stupid. I don't care how much of a gun rabbit you can be, if I get up behind you, you deserve to die. If you get behind me, you earned your kill.
Old 2013-02-22, 04:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post
Why is LAs jumpjetting around a problem? Isn't the whole "theme" of LA mobility? Besides, a jumpjetting LA moves a lot less erratically than someone bunny hopping.
I don't have any objection to it in theory, but in my experience jump-jetting LAs move in an extremely erratic fashion on my client, shifting position suddenly, changing speed wildly, etc. I'm sure this is some kind of networking/movement prediction issue (just like the problems with people rapidly strafing in PS1).

If this code can be fixed somehow, then great. If not, then I'd support some kind of limitation to make this a less viable tactic for LAs, but with some kind of buff to compensate them. I'm certainly not arguing that LAs are too strong, just that this buggy game behaviour is annoying right now.

Old 2013-02-22, 04:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Varsam
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sturmhardt View Post
Do you feel bad because there are players out there who can move and jump around and still keep their aim on you while you can't? it's called skill, I don't see why skill should be punished. There already is a huge loss in accuracy if you jump.

.sent via phone.
there is absolutely no skill involved in mashing the spacebar repeatedly.

Last edited by Varsam; 2013-02-22 at 05:18 AM.
Old 2013-02-22, 04:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rothnang
Major

Originally Posted by Sturmhardt View Post
How is hitting the spacebar a skill? This game is already insanely biased toward short range fighting without giving everyone with a short range weapon a way to mitigate long range fire by an insane amount just by hitting space over and over.

Also there are plenty of weapons that fire slow, so people aren't shooting them while jumping at all. You constantly see heavies hopping around while reloading their rocket launcher. What a crock of shit system.

Last edited by Rothnang; 2013-02-22 at 05:00 AM.
Old 2013-02-22, 05:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Oh come now, everyone loves bunny hoppers!

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-02-22, 05:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Dougnifico View Post
Yup. Bunny hoping is stupid. I don't care how much of a gun rabbit you can be, if I get up behind you, you deserve to die. If you get behind me, you earned your kill.
Why? It can be pure luck. Finding someone who is looking in another direction in a 2000 player game is not exactly skillful. In many times it's just luck, nothing earned at all.

@rothnang:
Some would say that shooting your opponent (who is moving) exactly in the head while moving and jumping around requires a little bit of skill. A little bit more than is required to kill an unsuspicious, stationary target you happen to find looking in another direction, also known as easy kill.

.sent via phone.

Last edited by Sturmhardt; 2013-02-22 at 05:31 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion