Storyline: Geographical Names - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Leave the bitchin to us
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-15, 11:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

Geographical Names

This may seem a minor point to some, but I know that one thing that would make this massively open world (HUZZAH!), one that has been very carefully handcrafted (HUZZAH!), feel even more immersive? How about naming some of these places on the map.

PS1 has landmarks for interesting geographical formations. From the sounds of it, PS2 has the potential for a lot of these unique geographical locations. Wouldn't it feel infinitely more meaningful (beyond just capturing that unobtanium resource you've been after for a week) if you now, for example, held Mirror Lake, right next to the Twin Spires?

Obviously the more of these specifically named location the better - if you feel like you're fighting not just for resources, but for a PLACE, I know that I personally would feel 10x more involved and into the world of Auraxis. This would take barely ANY budget, and perhaps only a week, if that, of time to brainstorm and include within the game, and would add so much to the value of the world.

Additionally, having named locations would allow for squad/outfit leaders to quickly and easily reference where certain raids/attacks would take place. Instead of simply "drop somewhere in Grid A7", they could say "drop in Grid A7, on top of the Marris' Plateau, just west of the Great Salt Sea" or some such.

Thoughts?

Last edited by CidHighwind; 2011-07-15 at 11:17 PM.
Old 2011-07-15, 11:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Geographical Names

Sure, why not.
Old 2011-07-15, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

I like it.
Old 2011-07-16, 03:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Tikuto
Major

Yeah I like it.

While there may not be an old Sanctuary, I still like the idea of VS's homeland being named "Sanctuary" nevertheless - just a name.

VS homeland: "Sanctuary". Religious and spiritual world.
TR homeland: "Metropolis". Developed and blighted world.
NC homeland: "Bastion" (Stronghold). Rebellious and righteous world.

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-07-16 at 03:09 AM.
Old 2011-07-16, 03:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Volw
First Sergeant

I'd much more prefer 8 digit grid reference, but this sounds good as well. Preferably both.
Old 2011-07-16, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

Yes indeed, nice idea! This would also lend itself to memorable battles being named after certain areas.

Old grizzled PS2 veteran to another:
"Remember that day we held off a column of Vanguards and infantry in the valley near Twin Spires? Man! The Battle of Twin Spires was epic!"

Old 2011-07-16, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Yeah I think this would be cool.

I think they shouldn't try too hard to make places sound super epic though, usually it gets a little forced.

If everything is epic then nothing will seem epic...
Old 2011-07-16, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamma
PSU Admin

Great idea!
Old 2011-07-16, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Soothsayer View Post
I think they shouldn't try too hard to make places sound super epic though, usually it gets a little forced.

If everything is epic then nothing will seem epic...
Agreed, all it really needs is to have labels on the map that sound like real places - real places make it more immersive than epic names. The Grant River, Musk Bay, the ruins of the city of Randall or some such. Really quite simple to come up with names if you put you mind to it!
Old 2011-07-16, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Ooh i really like this, they have been removin alot of the immersion stuff from PS1 and it was feelin more and more just like some dull instanced zerg match from CoD. This could really help to make it feel more like a real world.
Old 2011-07-16, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Valdae
Sergeant

A friend of mine from my old outfit wrote a story on our forums about a bridge battle we fought in. He called it the 'Battle Over Pamba River', and even though we haven't played PS in years we still talk about it to this day. Giving names to things gives places more value and nostalgia, as oppose to just being a nameless patch of land.

Expanding on your idea, wouldn't it be great to let dedicated members of the PS community come up with some names? I think from judging some of the cave names from CC, that SoE could do with some fresh input anyways..
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-16, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I'd love for the strategic map to have an optional toggle of names of territories. Geographical names or landmark names are all great for helping coordinate.

We still need precise labeling of hexes, however...we can't replace that, but having them named things I can be more general and people can know what I'm talking about without having to go look up specific grids. General regions are probably sufficient for most communication.

Names of specific peaks like Mt. Cyssor and Gunuku Island and what not would be nice. Naming forests, plains, mountain ridges, peaks, islands, bridges, etc would all be great for landmarks.
Old 2011-07-16, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I'd love for the strategic map to have an optional toggle of names of territories. Geographical names or landmark names are all great for helping coordinate.

We still need precise labeling of hexes, however...we can't replace that, but having them named things I can be more general and people can know what I'm talking about without having to go look up specific grids. General regions are probably sufficient for most communication.

Names of specific peaks like Mt. Cyssor and Gunuku Island and what not would be nice. Naming forests, plains, mountain ridges, peaks, islands, bridges, etc would all be great for landmarks.
I was thinking something similar - a simple toggle would make it disappear, or at least fade away for those who are seeking a more general game-play experience, and toggling them on would allow for more tactical and visceral experience.

Additionally, I agree completely with Valdae - Having the PSU crew/members come up with a submittable list of geographical names would be a tremendous show of productivity/faith/goodwill on their inclusion of us as a community in the project. Not to jump the gun here, but Is there a way we can get a confirmation or go-ahead from a dev on this? Hamma, should we maybe start a separate thread?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-16, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I think we should do that once we see some continent renders. Its important to also know the cultural background theme to the continent.

For example, Solsar had an Egyptian theme, so I would expect that on the Solsar continent we draw from Egyptian mythology for our regional and landmark names.

Without knowing those themes and seeing continent renders I think it would be hard to create that immersive experience with the names. We'd be stabbing rather blindly.

We could take existing planetside themes, continents, and names and come up with some examples though. They will map to at least a few zones. We know that they are working on Searhus, and I'm sure it will have a similar look to it and possibly the same cultural inspiration.
Old 2011-07-16, 08:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Bags
Lieutenant General

Yeah, and Esamir had a Norse theme.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault