PS2 Infiltrator "hacking vehicles" idea - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Dolphin safe
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-07-28, 02:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Justaman
Staff Sergeant

Re: PS2 Infiltrator "hacking vehicles" idea

Here's a question. Why DOES the hacked vehicle HAVE to change faction markings?

Whats the point in stealing a vehicle, only to spray paint "HEY, I STOLE YOUR TANK, SHOOT ME!!!" all over it.

You can already tell its an enemy, just from the name tag above their heads/vehicle when you target them ( and the fact THEIR SHOOTING AT YOU). This would just add an extra layer of diversion or rank dissonance in the midst of fighting. But it wouldn't be very common (and if it became common, add restrictions to reduce frequency).

Also, this is a team game, so the momentary surprise factor that was gained by looking like an ally will go away the moment people start reporting that their is a hijacked tank in such and such area. Everyone and their mom will be checking name tags of every tank they come across. Sort of like an FFID check.

The hijacked vehicle will also show up as enemy on the radar IF they've shot anyone. Because, SCIENCE (and computers, and the military-interwebs).

Their primary reason for not having vehicle hacking is because of the cost to develop vehicle models for each faction, for stolen vehicles. That and the increased system requirements it would add.

Skipp the all the textures BS and just leave the fun part. I don't see a problem with that. Anyone else?

Last edited by Justaman; 2012-07-28 at 02:29 AM.
Old 2012-07-28, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Loco View Post
Well that's easy. The hacker pays the hackee in resources. Vanguard driver gets a refund for having his crap stolen. Call it insurance. The Hacker has to have the resources to hack the vehicle the same as if he were to purchase it.

At that point the big flaw around would be unlocked items on the vehicle. A way around that would be to revert it to the original base vehicle. Or worse... lock those items the hacker is not certed for. Sure he just jacked this vehicle.. but since he doesn't have the cert for the gun.. it's just a thing to drive.

Granted that would still remove an enemy vehicle.
IMHO, the "jacked" vehicle is just that.... "jacked". As in stolen, your stuff is gone, I ownz it now, the resources are mine, you left it or were unaware and you loooze...

I realize the in game mechanics should not let you drive something you don't have certs for, but maybe there is a user manual in there so if you recycle and backward engineer this thing, those certs can appear in your cert tree as learnable if you are top teir hacker.

Just a thought.
Old 2012-07-28, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Justaman
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
IMHO, the "jacked" vehicle is just that.... "jacked". As in stolen, your stuff is gone, I ownz it now, the resources are mine, you left it or were unaware and you loooze...

I realize the in game mechanics should not let you drive something you don't have certs for, but maybe there is a user manual in there so if you recycle and backward engineer this thing, those certs can appear in your cert tree as learnable if you are top teir hacker.

Just a thought.
Except a 0 xp character is allowed to drive all vehicles. No certing required (except for galaxy I think). Its not like PS1 anymore.

So the only thing the inf would be using that it isn't "certed" for, would be the sidegrades that are being using on the vehicle.
Old 2012-07-28, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Justaman View Post
Except a 0 xp character is allowed to drive all vehicles. No certing required (except for galaxy I think). Its not like PS1 anymore.

So the only thing the inf would be using that it isn't "certed" for, would be the sidegrades that are being using on the vehicle.
And I don't see anything wrong with this situation. If it is a generic no-cert required vehicle, he should be able to run off with it and use it.

I was saying that if he grabbed it and then there were special side grades that can be reverse engineered, those things could appear in his skill tree or a special jacked (hacked) skill tree.

This hacked skill tree could be way up in the specialized infiltraitor tree and once he get's it, he can start adding other jacked skills that require the same amount of time the enemy faction takes to skill up on that.

There could be other limitations such as, jacking an enemy AA weapon that is not fully certed will only allow the hacker to cert up to that specific level. If he wanted to get primo equipment, he would have to jack a max level AA and it will be open to him to train at will when he wants to spend points on it after it is reverse engineered.
Old 2012-07-30, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Cuross View Post
As much as I would also like to see the ability to jack enemy vehicles return, I think it may also go a bit further than just the "Hey I'm an awesome Vanguard driver with all the cool certs", I think it also goes towards the resources. Say someone logs on and they have basically just enough resources for the one Vannie (because they spent all last session pulling Vannies and Reavers) and then some loser with a REK jacks it. Don't get me wrong, I'd probably be that loser with the REK, but it wouldn't make the Vanguard driver feel any better. Because of this, Infiltrators could pretty much stockpile their resources just by jacking vehicles since it won't cost them anything.

Yes, this and that can be done, but until they figure out a good method and system for vehicle jacks, I like the idea of hacking a vehicle much like you could damage a BFR, ie., Destroy random item in trunk, refire rate reduced, reverse speed reduced. Yeah that kind of stuff. I say this because we know how it works, and hacking a vehicle is tough enough as it is anyway lol.
I see your point, but I don't think it will be that easy for Infils to just run around hacking everything like that. And if it is, then just give the driver a notice that his vehicle is being jacked, like in Star Wars Battlefront 2 when someone was Fusion Cutterring your vehicle.
Old 2012-07-31, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Cuross
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
I see your point, but I don't think it will be that easy for Infils to just run around hacking everything like that. And if it is, then just give the driver a notice that his vehicle is being jacked, like in Star Wars Battlefront 2 when someone was Fusion Cutterring your vehicle.
Yeah, and it's never been easy to steal vehicles. I think my most impressive jack ever was jacking a Peregrine in the middle of a field battle and let me tell you, I've tried jacking lots of vehicles (Also died before I could deconstruct it T_T). But I also think that a notice would be too much of a handicap. I mean, hacking is already incredibly difficult and time consuming anyway, I don't see the need to warn the driver.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault