Vehicle Skins - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: BLARGH! "You Gotta Try Harder than that!"
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-03-06, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Sure, it seems like a relatively minor thing overall, but it does make a big difference.

VS and NC reavers are both grey. On a continent where there's a dark sky (like Hossin), a Reaver against the sky is near impossible to identify without getting close, which is a bad thing. Same thing with Lightnings. When you're doing an attack run for instance, you don't always have time to get close, do an overflight and they just know you're coming. A lot of friendly fire has gone on simply because they didn't think to make the skins more different. Again, you can't blame a Lightning for opening up on an unknown reaver...let it get close and you'll get a rocket spam in no time flat.

TR aircraft and tanks however, stick out like sore thumbs. Any enemy soldier can readily identify them and engage at maximum range. Not exactly a fair situation.

BadAsh is right, the models already exist, all they're really changing is the graphics that go over that model. It's slightly beyond chaging a text file, but not to the point where they will need to devote massive resources to it. There might not even be a single code change required.

The art team *is* a part of the devs, but the ones that everyone is concerned with (bug fixes, optimizations, etc.) are PROGRAMMERS, which are generally a separate category from the ARTISTS. They both have knowledge of the other's realm of expertise, but not enough to really make an impact (in general).

They do need to do *something* to make all the empire vehicles readily distinguishable at a glance at the maximum draw distance. That, or reskin the TR so they don't stick out anymore.
Old 2004-03-06, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
SlyMarbo
Sergeant

heh there is a more time consuming way to do it that people might like... actually use cammo with just the empire's emblem on it... mkae the cammo change based on the continent... as if you were woried about friendly file before.
Old 2004-03-06, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

yeah i remember some old screenies with a van that had Green camo, that would be cool

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-03-06, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
SlyMarbo
Sergeant

personally i think SOE should let some mod makers at their coding and give them a test forum to show their stuff on... let outside people add to the development process... we could see ideas like these and see what people think of them by play testing them.
Old 2004-03-06, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
SlyMarbo
Sergeant

but something like that needs it's own thread now doesn't it? OPinions should i start a new thread off this idea or just tack it to the bottem of this one?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion