I know PS1 and PS2 have medium battle tanks... - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I love the smell of plasma grenades in the morning.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-01-18, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Re: I know PS1 and PS2 have medium battle tanks...

Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
I'm pretty sure in Planetside it was for Medium Battle Tank, the arguement for getting an actual Heavy Tank has been around a while.

When I say Heavy Tank, I'm thinking about the LANDKREUZER

Which was never actually made lol
*takes a shot*

If you get this joke, you are awesome
Old 2012-01-22, 09:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
super pretendo
First Sergeant

bump
Old 2012-02-13, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Fenrys
Major

I like the concept, but I wonder if there is enough development time left to implement it before release.

There's a game called "Mars War" that featured something similar, and it seemed to work well in that Unreal Tournament: Warfare type game. I wish I could bring it up on the SOE forums in the discussion about drivers operating the main gun. Driver operated main guns for Light and Medium tanks worked well in Mars War.

Light tanks were single-occupant hover vehicles that had a rapid fire main gun with a slight ballistic curve. The gun was aimed like the PS1 magrider's driver gun - horizontally fixed, spin the entire tank to aim left or right.

Medium tanks were 2-seater hover vehicles with slightly more armor, less top speed and maneuverability, the same driver-operated fixed-position main gun as a light tank, and an AI/AA machine gun on top. The machine gun was sniper rifle accurate, zero CoF, and DESTROYED infantry. I would gladly take that gunner spot before pulling a 2nd tank.

Heavy tanks were 3-seater tracked vehicles with heavy armor and relatively low speed and maneuverability. The driver's only job was to drive - they got no weapons. The main gun was on a turret that could rotate 360º, was harder hitting and slower firing than the Light and Medium tank's main gun, and caused more and broader splash damage. Heavy tanks used the same AI/AA machine gun as the Medium tank. I would get significantly more kills using the machine gun than the main gun, but having a skilled main gunner was essential to survive engagements against other tanks.

Last edited by Fenrys; 2012-02-13 at 08:24 PM.
Old 2012-02-14, 05:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

I think they need the heavy tank we have talked about it since before BFR's. The heavy tank needs to be that a heavy tank not a giant robot but a 4 person very expensive very high armor and very high DPS tank, its that simple. Mech's are a whole different kind of weapon and should be used as simple a more versatile tank so it can clime hills better have jet packs that type of thing. It should not have armor larger then the medium tank the same DPS as a medium tank and just fight and die like a medium tank just be more all terrain and cool Mecha looking and cost a little more then a regular tank to. Think of it like a special forces medium tank. They need to get this right no over power self regen shield crap that was so stupid. MECHS are cool soe just do it right and make them like every other vehicle with only special things that make sense like other vehicles have.

Last edited by Livefire; 2012-02-14 at 02:51 PM.
Old 2012-03-18, 03:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
super pretendo
First Sergeant

bump
Old 2012-03-18, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Purple
Sergeant Major

this seems like something that would be implemented a year or two after launch to liven up the game a bit.
Old 2012-03-27, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Ait'al
Contributor
General

I had a thread along time ago on really heavey weapons that was meant to cover a replacement for heavy tanks. Or maybe to give them room. It also went with what would have been besides BFRs. If you get so and so you get x power when they were originally adding base those extra base ganes that came with or after BFRs that would have made home bases for outfits.. It was meant to play like how everyone liked defending massive gal drops and so on. Take it or lose it strategies.

TR got super giant flying fortress like a gal 10 times the size with giant cannons. It could carry like a tank or two(or one HBT or other smaller non transportable vehicles) and some troops and be like a massive gunboat. (I mean massive! two lower cannons were like small area mini rapid fire(by OS firing times 10-15 seconds or more) mini OSes) but less above AA to let the be vulnerable to air strickes and no flight ceiling) (Air dominance/ground pounding)

NC I think got a super tank... NO NC got a massive hover transport that could be used across cont borders for travel without gates between servers. These carried 3-4 MBTs(or 2 HBT)(or smaller vehicles like troop transports like in the TR aircraft but double) anti air and ground all over the weapon and small troop trasnsport. Basically a water/land massive version of the gal. (marine invasion)

VS got massive max transport with super lasers..(varying fire speeds but the more power the slower the shot. Sort of fit the current VS fire model. Basically rapid fire troop to punt shots for tanks/semi tank kilability. .) AKA reverse the troop to max ratio for gal and have a variable hover future tech transport like the cybers transports in supcom sort of shape wise.(or one of the others if you wanted.) I think I said to let the maxes fire also. 8) also prone to flight ceiling restrictions I beleive.

The TR got one or 3 per cont, or if powerful enough 3 total to the game over any surface areas. The NC could get I think 5 - 10 per cont. VS were unlimted or even or double the NC. The ammount should reflect the power per ship potentially when all things were considered. Firepower/armor/effectiveness/stretegic intent/likeliness to die. Armor was a huge factor in the numbers.

TR massive firepower per position via air(best placement of fire/dominance through aim/rollover strat.). NC massive invasions infiltratin abilities unique to them(best placement of weapons/vehicles/heavey fire/strategic movment. since they already have the heavy individual weapons this makes a point taking situation AKA marine invasion strat. They developed just to get their current stuff around more). VS adding troop transport into situations adding to their current strategy(ability unique to their philosophy in every way/ varying ability in the situation.(notice no heavy tank transport). Sort of would have replaced BFRs and the new transport vehicles in one. But unique to each empire.

Non were aquirable at sanc, but could or couldn't go there for reserves. Tr might have been stuck on this(not if only 3 per game world). The rest possibly through the gate. The NC could just float them. Maybe the sanc could hold the total pop for all possible vehicles over all conts but only so many per cont. Not sure

Alternatively the size of the HBT could also determine things. If the TRs HBT is twice the size of the NC the aircraft could hold the same volume of lesser vehicles(any size including traditionally uncariable ones in the gale) etc. Depends on the HBT design. Should be modded for them. One of their main features is HBT transport but that would allow other transport of lesser vehicles. VS aside that is. Theirs would require self movement.

Interestingly with how big the NC hover tank would have been as I imagined them(literally like the british ones used to go to the mainland) They probably couldn't go down most roads with hills on the sides. So they only could deploy to some extent leaving the NC to certain types of cont if used for more than marine invasions. The VS and TR could get everywhere though the VS would have more numbers of vehicles and be flying gun boats. But with ceiling lock for anti air at bases and maxes. Much more fast action and must be very precise in nullifying base damage or you get hit or reduced in ability. The TR would just pummel and require planes to intercept in mass. there would have been a lot of hidden strategy and definition to those how I was thinking it out. I wish I could have made them and put then in the game. But I'm sadly not a designer. 8p

ACtually. The VS originally had Maxes in side. But you cuold have a mode to be armored and not get hit(supcom transport abilty with armored mode). Or be exposed for fireing and be able to be locked etc and damage instead of the ship. Would work well because before they are used the are protected. When deploying thye sheild the transport and act as fireing when near the desired fireing zone. But you could drop them either way.(The ship could still be locked but it wouldn't be as much when the maxes were exposed for practical reasons. Same with damage) Heck the ship could be a healing vessel also for max armor. And I beleive the VS super lasers could only fire in a limited forward ark. Like 280 degrees with a weakness in the rear and top. Meant to hurt ground targets and thing not completely above it. The VS transport would have 1 pilot, 2 gunners(front Slasers), and 8-10 maxes(4-5 on each side) Think large scale invasions as a maximum ability. The rest you designate through use. Can you imagine the 160-200 maxes deploying and letting off jets when they finally did and shotting stuff mid air. Or the gunboat flying around killing stuff with them. 8) That would have been fun.

NC could have used up to 4 sunderers making 40 sunderer drops on a cont shore Or 40-80 smaller troop transports per cont(equal the total troops for each variation. If 40 troops drop from one 40 from the other total max and so x amount of each vehicles can be dropped. Would make the old small transport more useful to some extent.). The TR could pummel with lesser drops but unstoppable force and bring in existing vehicles in an existing campaign. All of this potentially split into varying vehicles of course, but all possible all the same. 8) maybe air healing and holding for planes for the TR and same for the NC since it is a large landing platform. Just don't get hit by your AA. 8) VS get max bombs with guns. 8)

I guess to be nice the VS should be able to store like 1-2 people per max slot, in place of a max if desired, also per ship so it's not just maxes. too hard to take bases that way. Maybe! 8p

And the TR plane would be fairly slow and lumbering. the hover would move like a hovercraft changed to the ratio of the terrain as needed, and the VS could move up to a decent pace, but with their weapons it should balance it out. It's just a hover tank in a way made to get to the old flight ceiling or something and without afterburners.

Another balance for the TR would be that they are hard to destroy and slow. Say you can't decon them. There are at minimun only 3 per world. they might have them all in cont but then only on one cont. And if you left one it could be hacked. 8p So that would be stupid. And if hacked it would still count against the TRs total and it wouldn't just disapear(wouldn't disappear unhacked either). it's a permenant feature till destroyed. so would other ships btw, but other ships might disapear or have other features. just the hacking would be the same at minimum. So lots of gameplay features added into as far as strat. If you can't get all the ones you want of your faction on one cont, you'd better be on your toes to get them killed or retaken to get more if you want full forces etc.(hacking another faction would not count against your factions totals though! since you don't have one!) Haveing someone hack out 20 and sit them in one cont against VS could be bad! You plan to invade with heavy invasion tools liek these and suddenly you are stopped. Makes you have to deal with more one more thin on a per cont basis. That then requires a little work to counter. 8p(would have to make sure this doesn't allow them to sit in a warp bubble somehow though. I know they warp at the bubbles edge and never go in! And warp to outside the bubble as well.)

The weapons to be more specific would be... NC have mini guns that are AA and AI. Combines might hit lesser AV. But they can have troops pop up and use their AV weapons. The VS would be a straight laser shot on the two frontish guns and the maxes/troops fireing. The massive TR cannons would be arched massive shells that explode for area damage the size of a small OS. So you have to aim them from a height but not too hard. The TR also would have aa guns and gunners and some Type AI guns for low hovering etc.

Also the HBT with enough range and these new vessels with abilities or functions would potentially help balance each other out.

With a giant TR landkruezer dropper, the mid size NC HBT, and the max drops. Could you say TR are the empire, NC are the republic/clones, and VS are the jedi! 8) No idea on that one just throwing it out.

Should this be in it's own thread. It was intended as a specific implement with and for HBTs Or like I said a suppliment. 8) Decided then it went with them like I do now.

Last edited by Ait'al; 2012-03-27 at 07:13 PM.
Old 2012-04-06, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Vanir
Staff Sergeant

The heavy tank for the Vanu could look something like this?
Old 2012-04-09, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

I fully support the idea of Heavy Tanks, and Super-Heavy Tanks. Make it happen SOE!
Old 2012-04-09, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
moosepoop
Captain

i also full heartedly support multi man superheavy tanks.
Old 2012-04-10, 01:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Bonius
Sergeant

Being the sceptical me:

How would you balance the heavy tank?
What role would the heavy tank fill?
What requirements would the heavy tank have?
Old 2012-04-10, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
moosepoop
Captain

the heavy tank is balanced by neeeding a rediculous number of people to man it for full firepower, and said rediculous number of people vulnerable to jamming grenades, unlike the bfr.

the role would be to break a stalemate.
Old 2012-04-10, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Bonius
Sergeant

Originally Posted by moosepoop View Post
the heavy tank is balanced by neeeding a rediculous number of people to man it for full firepower, and said rediculous number of people vulnerable to jamming grenades, unlike the bfr.

the role would be to break a stalemate.
Just because it requires alot of people doesn't mean it automatically gets balanced. What happens when an organized outfit with 100 people gets 10 of these on the field?
How would a behemoth-on-tracks be more efficient at breaking a stalemate than the already available vehicle pool?
Why should the heavy tank be chosen above the mentioned MBT's of each empire?
Why wouldn't said organized outfit just pull 100 MBT's and steamroll the living sh*t out of everything on the map?
How vulnerable would the heavy tank be against air-to-ground vehicles?
How effective would it be against air vehicles? Infantry? Other heavy tanks?
What resources would be required to get hold of one?
How will the resource cost be balanced towards resource gain?
Old 2012-04-10, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Bonius View Post
Just because it requires alot of people doesn't mean it automatically gets balanced. What happens when an organized outfit with 100 people gets 10 of these on the field?
How would a behemoth-on-tracks be more efficient at breaking a stalemate than the already available vehicle pool?
Why should the heavy tank be chosen above the mentioned MBT's of each empire?
Why wouldn't said organized outfit just pull 100 MBT's and steamroll the living sh*t out of everything on the map?
How vulnerable would the heavy tank be against air-to-ground vehicles?
How effective would it be against air vehicles? Infantry? Other heavy tanks?
What resources would be required to get hold of one?
How will the resource cost be balanced towards resource gain?
^agreed

TBH, as soon as someone says "It's purpose is to break a stalemate", I immediately want to throw that idea in the garbage. There have been so many games that have tried to out something like that in their games, and it has always been abused, no matter what restrictions there were, for example, Eve had those super ships that were way too good and abused by everyone, BFRs in PS1, I'm sure there are other examples, but you get my point.

No super heavy anything. I'd rather them put in a few new vehicles then something used to turn tides by themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2012-04-10, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
PlaceboCyanide
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Geist View Post
^agreed

TBH, as soon as someone says "It's purpose is to break a stalemate", I immediately want to throw that idea in the garbage. There have been so many games that have tried to out something like that in their games, and it has always been abused, no matter what restrictions there were, for example, Eve had those super ships that were way too good and abused by everyone, BFRs in PS1, I'm sure there are other examples, but you get my point.

No super heavy anything. I'd rather them put in a few new vehicles then something used to turn tides by themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How about if we define its purpose as: a high survivability vehicle designed for mitigating damage and focusing fire, rather than avoiding and scattering it. If they do decide to make a vehicle (class) such as this, and I really hope they do, I think this is what needs to be stressed:

1) Resource inefficient when compared to 1-3 man vehicles
2) teamwork/communication being absolutely necessary
- Many have voiced their disapproval of SOE making some of the vehicles more "accessible" to newer players, by letting the driver position fill other roles as well. This vehicle could be a solution of sorts by providing an opportunity for the many that want the communication-required driver is only driver tanks back.
- In order to further balance such a strong vehicle the fields of fire/view could be limited so that whatever the main armament is only has a 10 o'clock to 1o'clock line of fire, having other turrets follow similar restrictions would again, necessitate teamwork and communication.
3) I envision a vehicle like this being strong enough to make the enemy trip themselves up and not be so powerful that it is able to halt the entire advance of a 100 person outfit.
4) An achilles heel which would discourage rolling out a large number of these heavy tanks, but rather a mixed pool of all vehicles & infantry.
- Poor speed, turning/mobility comes to mind, making them primarily defensive and weak to more agile vehicles which can avoid their main gun(s).

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault