Make night time dark. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Lasher..Catnip for Vanu
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-02-01, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Make night time dark.

Many games today have the problem of their night time being extraordinarily anemic.

Sometimes I can barely tell it is supposed to be night time. While when I look outside, I see what it means to have no light to guide you.

Make people use flashlights and headlights on their cars.

I know it is probably going to cause some unrest from not being able to see, but that's why you don't attack at night!

Or, if you want, this can allow people to utilize night time to their own ends.

Oh, and don't spare on any nighttime stars. With a nice, dark night time, it'll be a lovely contrast to look up at the skybox and see tons and tons of stars.

Do you agree with making night time super dark like it is in real life? Post your thoughts.
Old 2012-02-01, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Make night time dark.

I agree, but I think they've catered to both crowds. On the surface it'll be moonlit, while chasms and such will be much, much darker. I'd like to see a nice night time skybox though, certainly. I remember some of the night time mods for oblivion were beautiful.

Better Nightsky 1
Better Nightsky 2

Basically, space can be pretty, so lets see it.
Old 2012-02-01, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
brickbuster
Private

Yeah, I think it would be interesting to do this. Although night should be much shorter than day. Also, night-vision on sniper rifles would be so much fun, as well as stealthy night drops on enemy positions.
Old 2012-02-01, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by brickbuster View Post
Yeah, I think it would be interesting to do this. Although night should be much shorter than day. Also, night-vision on sniper rifles would be so much fun, as well as stealthy night drops on enemy positions.
That's a great idea.

They should make night vision exclusive to recons. This would have the benefit of both being fun to use and giving them better recon capabilities.
Old 2012-02-01, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I think Higby confirmed that night time is going to be rather dark. He used an example of a very dark battle where nothing but tracers from people's guns were lighting up the night sky. That sounds awesome.

I really hope they follow through. Night time would open up a lot more things you could do tactically. I hope it's not like PS1 where every few hours it would be "night time" and the sky would turn to a slightly darker shade of purple.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-02-01, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Zulthus
Colonel

I believe there was a point in PS1 where the nighttime was very dark, but people complained about not being able to see so they set it to the purple-ish sky that we have now.
Old 2012-02-01, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
I believe there was a point in PS1 where the nighttime was very dark, but people complained about not being able to see so they set it to the purple-ish sky that we have now.
Laaaame.
Old 2012-02-01, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
WaryWizard
Sergeant

I like the idea of night being dark.

Also on the subject of length I have come up with the best possible length of time for a full day cycle (sunrise to sunrise). 7 hours. 4 hours from sunrise to sunset and 3 hours from sunset to sunrise.

why is it impossible to find a good picture taken at night time!!!

I was hoping to find a good example picture.
Old 2012-02-01, 09:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by WaryWizard View Post
I like the idea of night being dark.

Also on the subject of length I have come up with the best possible length of time for a full day cycle (sunrise to sunrise). 7 hours. 4 hours from sunrise to sunset and 3 hours from sunset to sunrise.

why is it impossible to find a good picture taken at night time!!!

I was hoping to find a good example picture.
Probably because photography is impossible at night.

That said, why can't it be real time? Like, pick CST as your time zone and when it is night time there, it is night time in game.
Old 2012-02-01, 09:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Alanim
Private

How about a moon cycle that determines brightness? Full moon = bright night, New moon = Dark night, etc.
Old 2012-02-01, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
Probably because photography is impossible at night.

That said, why can't it be real time? Like, pick CST as your time zone and when it is night time there, it is night time in game.
That wouldn't work. Way too much server load, but most importantly, there are people playing from different timezones. You could just switch your timezone to day all the time and have an advantage. That just wouldn't work at all, I can't even explain how bad that would turn out.
Old 2012-02-01, 09:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

That wouldn't work. Way too much server load, but most importantly, there are people playing from different timezones. You could just switch your timezone to day all the time and have an advantage. That just wouldn't work at all, I can't even explain how bad that would turn out.
Maybe you misread that.

I meant just pick CST or something and have the game rely on THAT timezone for everyone. Night/day won't shift from player to player.
Old 2012-02-01, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Zulthus
Colonel

Oh, well if you mean an entire server, then East Coast/West Coast/Europe/Australia will all most likely have their own server timezone that time of day goes off of. I thought you meant individuals pick their timezone.
Old 2012-02-01, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Oh, well if you mean an entire server, then East Coast/West Coast/Europe/Australia will all most likely have their own server timezone that time of day goes off of. I thought you meant individuals pick their timezone.
Goodness no, I can see the issues with that right away.

I really meant just having night and day cycles that reflect real life.
Old 2012-02-01, 09:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
WaryWizard
Sergeant

Originally Posted by VioletZero View Post
Maybe you misread that.

I meant just pick CST or something and have the game rely on THAT timezone for everyone. Night/day won't shift from player to player.
What if you are only able to get on at about the same time every day. Do you know how bad it would be if everytime you log in the sun is just about to go under the horizon. Sure it would be nice the first couple of times, but pure night ops isn't good. My 7 hour plan allows for people to really get a sense of time passing, but it not feeling too fast. People that get on at the same time every day won't be getting on at the same in-game time all the time.

Also I would like to be able to view a statistic of how many in-game years the war has been going on in PS2 after it has been released for some time.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion