Gameplay: Crash Landing - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Making you wet your self since 2003
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-05-09, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Toppopia
Major

Re: Crash Landing

I wonder if a Black Hawk Down style scene could arise, probably not with respawns and stuff but maybe if there was a capture the intel or something like that so there would be a reason to go save those poor souls being surrounded by an inconceivably large force.
Old 2012-05-10, 02:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
RawketLawnchair
First Sergeant

I like this idea a lot. I was just talking to a buddy of mine about it.

Two or three things would be necessary:

1) Just like in BF3, you disable the aircraft. But in PS2, have it so that it counts as a vehicle kill. Mike even work just like BF3 where you get points for both disables and kills.

2) The AA needs to be able to have a chance to blow up said aircraft after the disable, giving the enemy a chance to "crash land" due to its engines being disabled, so its fair on both sides.

3) Wreckage. No one likes tiny metal gibs falling out of the sky. Makes it look like you shot down a weather balloon. And even worse when it disappears and you get nothing but an explosion sprite. :/
Old 2012-05-10, 06:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

How about a negitive helth bar for all vehicles. After it get 0 health, you have to get out of there before it reaches -100 health and blows up. Assuming that they don't do it for you.
Old 2012-05-10, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Kipper
Captain

Modular damage FTW. If you can headshot people, you should be able to blow wings off of aircraft and wheels off of land vehicles with physics based hilarity ensuing!

Reminds me of a lucky sniper shot I got on BFBC2 - just as I pressed fire on a well lined up headshot, an enemy buggy went through the sights - headshotted driver, buggy kept going and crashed, bullet kept going and killed intended target.

I was like WTFlol but could almost hear the WTFhax from the other team
Old 2012-05-10, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by RawketLawnchair View Post
[COLOR="Wheat"]3) Wreckage. No one likes tiny metal gibs falling out of the sky. Makes it look like you shot down a weather balloon. And even worse when it disappears and you get nothing but an explosion sprite. :/
I'd like to see wreckage vary depending on the speed of impact.

Successful crash landing = no wreckage, just a very banged up normal aircraft model

Failed crash landing (barely fatal impact speeds) = burnt out wreckage in the shape of the original aircraft

Higher speed impact = gibbed wreckage. Not tiny little pieces, just large burnt out pieces of the original craft

Extreme speed (afterburning into the ground) = Vaporized aircraft with no large wreckage, with the craft disappearing in a huge fireball, maybe multiple fireballs that go off in a chain reaction.
Old 2012-05-10, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

I like this idea from an animation standpoint. It would be cool to watch aircraft get "shot down" and fall from the sky to explode upon impacting the ground.

I don't like this if it really effects gameplay in any way other than allowing the pilot a chance to eject while the aircraft is going down.

Allowing aircraft that get shot down to be repaired or salvaged in any way is cool, but I feel like it undermines the "kill" of the player who took you out. I'd like the game to be kept more simple when it comes to the idea of kills. Adding tons of dynamic elements to kills is cool and realistic but I feel like a more simple, 0 health and your dead model suites the nature of a competitive game much better. I don't want to have to hunt down fallen aircraft to get the kill, shoot downed soldiers who are crawling away. That stuff is all well and good and actually cool but I'd like to focus more on the battle and less on details and really in depth kill mechanics. I just feel like having to wonder, is he dead? did I destroy him? and other things like that take you out of the action.

Last edited by Gonefshn; 2012-05-10 at 06:26 PM.
Old 2012-05-10, 10:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
I like this idea from an animation standpoint. It would be cool to watch aircraft get "shot down" and fall from the sky to explode upon impacting the ground.

I don't like this if it really effects gameplay in any way other than allowing the pilot a chance to eject while the aircraft is going down.

Allowing aircraft that get shot down to be repaired or salvaged in any way is cool, but I feel like it undermines the "kill" of the player who took you out. I'd like the game to be kept more simple when it comes to the idea of kills. Adding tons of dynamic elements to kills is cool and realistic but I feel like a more simple, 0 health and your dead model suites the nature of a competitive game much better. I don't want to have to hunt down fallen aircraft to get the kill, shoot downed soldiers who are crawling away. That stuff is all well and good and actually cool but I'd like to focus more on the battle and less on details and really in depth kill mechanics. I just feel like having to wonder, is he dead? did I destroy him? and other things like that take you out of the action.
Obviously there would be mid air explosions, but sometimes you don't take so much damage at once and can crash land. Also it would be so when you crash, you take damage, hit at the wrong angle, or get too damaged before landing and you'll blow to bits.
Old 2012-05-10, 10:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Hypevosa
Sergeant

0% health = crashing (losing altitude, erratic controls, etc)

-20% health = explosion

If you crash land too hard or take too many bullets you explode, or you can attempt a kamikaze. I like the idea of not instantly exploding, but I agree there needs to be some way for AA to get the kills instantly so it's still rewarding.

Last edited by Hypevosa; 2012-05-11 at 05:25 AM.
Old 2012-05-10, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Hypevosa View Post
0% health = crashing (losing altitude, radical controls, etc)

-20% health = explosion

If you crash land too hard or take too many bullets you explode, or you can attempt a kamikaze. I like the idea of not instantly exploding, but I agree there needs to be some way for AA to get the kills instantly so it's still rewarding.
If AA keep shooting the you will probably die after 1-2 seconds of them still shooting you but they might stop shooting after you get disabled because they think "Good, 1 less aircraft flying around, now to shoot the other 5" They won't waste time getting the tiny amount of xp of killing you if it means that those other aircraft escape unharmed or kill more friendlies.
Old 2012-05-11, 05:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Hypevosa
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
If AA keep shooting the you will probably die after 1-2 seconds of them still shooting you but they might stop shooting after you get disabled because they think "Good, 1 less aircraft flying around, now to shoot the other 5" They won't waste time getting the tiny amount of xp of killing you if it means that those other aircraft escape unharmed or kill more friendlies.
Exactly how it should work, though I'd think the time it would take to explode if they keep shooting you should be closer to 5 seconds. I've no idea what the health and damage on the vehicles is to give good numbers. Either way, the idea would be to make it a matter of efficiency (taking down as many aircraft as possible) or greed (getting all the exp you can by blowing up aircraft as well).

The crash landing also leaves a possibility for engineers to try and fix damage and get birds flying again, assuming ground forces or other aircraft haven't already reached your crash site and mopped you up. I'd expect fixing an actually downed bird to be much slower than just fixing a damaged but still operational vehicle.
Old 2012-05-11, 05:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Hypevosa View Post
Exactly how it should work, though I'd think the time it would take to explode if they keep shooting you should be closer to 5 seconds. I've no idea what the health and damage on the vehicles is to give good numbers. Either way, the idea would be to make it a matter of efficiency (taking down as many aircraft as possible) or greed (getting all the exp you can by blowing up aircraft as well).

The crash landing also leaves a possibility for engineers to try and fix damage and get birds flying again, assuming ground forces or other aircraft haven't already reached your crash site and mopped you up. I'd expect fixing an actually downed bird to be much slower than just fixing a damaged but still operational vehicle.
Will there be any capture the object type objectives? Because this could cause an awesome scene where the aircraft carrying it is shot down and crash lands, and no engineer is with them, so they have to hold out until reinforcements can arrive to save them. Would be pretty cool to see.
Old 2012-05-11, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Kipper
Captain

What makes anyone think that something blowing up when it takes a certain amount of damage is correct anyway? I thought SOE was in San Diego, not Hollywood!

Example: missile warheads explode in proximity to aircraft, that's the explosion you see - and the pressure wave is what does the damage and causes it to lose control.... UNLESS by random chance it critically damages a fuel pipe or something and explodes, but in the main, things shouldn't just blow up and disappear.

Likewise, driving a tank/truck/buggy off a cliff should result in a crumpled up and tank/truck/buggy that is destroyed and beyond repair, but there is no need for it to blow up, unless it was on fire already and happens to have a fuel leak.
Old 2012-05-11, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
Obviously there would be mid air explosions, but sometimes you don't take so much damage at once and can crash land. Also it would be so when you crash, you take damage, hit at the wrong angle, or get too damaged before landing and you'll blow to bits.
I see what your saying, but isn't that exactly what I was saying in my post. It's the idea that a kill isn't a kill necessarily, you are adding a huge amount of dynamics to the age old proven formula of health bar to 0 = dead.

This is just my opinion of course. There is nothing wrong with adding more depth to the system of kills and putting complex systems like this into the game. I will even admit it's a very cool and interesting idea. I personally am not in favor of it though. I would rather not have to think about these sorts of complex mechanics. I would rather just get my kill and continue to move on with the battle.

But like I said, crash landing death animations on aircraft I am for.
Old 2012-05-27, 03:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
That one noob
Sergeant

It would be so awesome if one would spiral out of control when getting their aircraft knocked out, while still having a chance to survive. Like back in The9's reveal trailer at the 1:00 mark. Would make this game more immersive than a lot of games out in the market today.
Old 2012-06-03, 01:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Toppopia
Major

From watching the recent videos, it looks like aircraft die quite easily when they hit the ground, so looks like crash landing will be impossible to do.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault