Please do not record death counts. - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do you see this?.....Good
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 3.47 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-05-25, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Re: Please do not record death counts.

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
PS1 was proof that recording a public death tally was completely unnecessary. But if it is in PS2, I'll have to adjust my playstyle to be more ridiculously annoying and less useful.
Please understand I agree with you 100% just saying, it will be in PS2, for sure.
Old 2012-05-25, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I was speaking to the room, my bad.
Old 2012-05-25, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
duck
Sergeant

My question is, why hasn't Higby or anyone spoken up directly about this issue? I remember a 40+pg thread about this same topic a few months ago when live gameplay footage was shown, but not a single dev cared to address this issue...
Old 2012-05-25, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by duck View Post
My question is, why hasn't Higby or anyone spoken up directly about this issue? I remember a 40+pg thread about this same topic a few months ago when live gameplay footage was shown, but not a single dev cared to address this issue...
Maybe because it's a moot point. If you don't like it, don't look. But we already know that there will be statistics made available to see, and death counts will almost undoubtedly be among them.

It's not something that affects players who don't want to look at them.

As for this whole social engineering experiment that some people seem to want to do, censoring certain statistics for fear that it will destroy team work, get fucking real. There would still be tons of lone wolf, kill whoring players, no matter what steps you take to try to encourage, or even try to force team work.

As long as team play isn't outright discriminated against by the game mechanics, team oriented players will thrive and be plentiful. Don't worry about the rest, hopefully some of them will come around on their own, because there is certainly no forcing it on anybody. You're just forcing them to move on to a more accommodating game so that Planetside 2's player numbers will dwindle the same as the first game. Fuck that.

I'm not saying that removing death tracking or K/D ratios would in and of itself necessarily drive tons of players away, but trying to force team work certainly would. I know that it would probably help me get tired of the game quicker and more often, since I like taking a break now and then to just mindlessly zerg it up.

So since you can't force team work (if you hope to have a viably successful MMOFPS), and "encouraging" team work is only marginally effective, you may as well just let people have as many stats as possible and do with them as they please. I'm not going to be obsessing over my deaths, but I'll certainly be curious now and then.

The game just needs to support and reward team work. That's it. Asking for much more is just being a whiny bitch who wants everyone else to play their way. Let the mindless masses and the l33tfits have their fun too. It's not going to destroy the game. It may actually save it.
Old 2012-05-26, 02:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
DDSHADE
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

I think that like in PlanetSide 1, the game should be able to track your K/D in one session, but not list your overall deaths over your characters lifetime.

Being discouraged from seeing your D's having a much higher number than K's overall isn't worth the satisfaction the few elite players will get from seeing their higher K/D ratio rise..

In a game where we have the technology to come back to life, death is simply a minor setback, and keeping track of how you can contribute to the overall war should be a much more prevalent factor!
Old 2012-05-27, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
SpcFarlen
First Sergeant

I definetly think KDR should be a dead stat in this game. To "win" you capture objectives and get resources. Hell if you can do that without firing your weapon, THAT should be a stat. Its is not like this game is meant to be played with one mindset.

Id love to be a guy on a Quad just driving around and getting intel on positions and movment. I doubt ill get many kills for that, yet can be so vital when a colum of MBT is moving in on a base. I give my faction that information and they are able to repell that attack much easier because of that. That isnt a stat, but could have changed the outcome of the battle so much.

So people who look at stats and go "oh you're a noob" or "look im better than you" really need to look at the larger picture. So i see no harm in having stats viewable, but they dont really determine anything.

Last edited by SpcFarlen; 2012-05-27 at 02:42 PM.
Old 2012-05-27, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Raka Maru
Major

Tho stats for K/D ratio for planetside do not matter to me, and I think they should not be in, it looks like they are here to stay.

What I would like to see, is the Devs saying, "We are revolutionizing the FPS genre with PS2 by removing K/D as a stat because PS2 has so much more depth than just pulling the trigger and killing the other guy..." then going on to explain how it's different.
Old 2012-05-27, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Jinxsey
Corporal

Metrics are the new black right now. But part of the "problem" with tracking deaths is people's hyper-sensetivity to their K/D spread.

Some players are invariably going to want to see the metrics, if nothing else it gives them a benchmark from which to examine their effectiveness over time, or across different weapons set ups, and if that's what they want, give them metrics.

That said, I'm personaly in favour of more compartmentalised metrics. Tracking "points per death" for example, or "time per kill". These metrics provide more meaningful and useful data than simply K/D. Appart from anything else, K/D is naturaly skewed against CQC types who want to be inside the highest threat areas of the battlefield, who may spend alot of time slogging away at an objective, but who ultimately die more than a sniper, who does alot less, but also dies alot less.
Old 2012-05-27, 10:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Jinxsey View Post
Metrics are the new black right now. But part of the "problem" with tracking deaths is people's hyper-sensetivity to their K/D spread.

Some players are invariably going to want to see the metrics, if nothing else it gives them a benchmark from which to examine their effectiveness over time, or across different weapons set ups, and if that's what they want, give them metrics.

That said, I'm personaly in favour of more compartmentalised metrics. Tracking "points per death" for example, or "time per kill". These metrics provide more meaningful and useful data than simply K/D. Appart from anything else, K/D is naturaly skewed against CQC types who want to be inside the highest threat areas of the battlefield, who may spend alot of time slogging away at an objective, but who ultimately die more than a sniper, who does alot less, but also dies alot less.

The stat whores know K/D is kinda meaningless, are people afraid that the stat whores will bring them up on their meaningless K/D?

do you guys really think im THAT much better than goldhaze1? :P no, we just play differently.
Old 2012-05-28, 12:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
The stat whores know K/D is kinda meaningless, are people afraid that the stat whores will bring them up on their meaningless K/D?

do you guys really think im THAT much better than goldhaze1? :P no, we just play differently.
One annoying stat i find more pointless and annoying than K/D? The damn win/lose ratio. It is almost useless in games like BF3 or COD, because most of the time your team is filled with random noobs that can't play properly and cause you to lose. So its good that Planetside 2 won't have this stat because it doesn't make much sense and how would it tell whether you won or lost? Sounds like too much effort for something meaningless.
Old 2012-05-28, 02:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
One annoying stat i find more pointless and annoying than K/D? The damn win/lose ratio. It is almost useless in games like BF3 or COD, because most of the time your team is filled with random noobs that can't play properly and cause you to lose. So its good that Planetside 2 won't have this stat because it doesn't make much sense and how would it tell whether you won or lost? Sounds like too much effort for something meaningless.
yea i think the W/L stat is good in a game like World Of Tanks since games are matched evenly(not by skill, just by tanks) but yea in a game like this where one team could be stacked, you can switch, pop in and out at anytime, W/L ratio is meaningless.
Old 2012-05-28, 04:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Xyntech
Brigadier General

W/L would be near meaningless in Planetside anyways. It's been brought up frequently the potential problem of not having a proper "win" condition, and while there are other ways to achieve that same sense of accomplishment without making both enemy sides completely "lose," there will never really be any good way to measure a win ratio. Base fights that you were involved in and how those turned out? Pretty much meaningless, especially with all of the variables and three empires.

While K/D is also pretty unimportant, at least it's a stat that Planetside 2 could meaningfully have. I really wouldn't be strongly in favor of the games stat pages actually listing K/D specifically, but I think it should track kills and deaths, with an option to compare each stat against one another. Even if they don't have a feature for comparing stats, third party apps will undoubtedly allow this. So if someone wants to figure out their K/D ratio, I see no reason to stand in their (likely misguided) way.

It's just not that important either way. But I'd like to see more information made available rather than less. So I'm definitely in favor of keeping that stuff available.
Old 2012-05-28, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Jinxsey
Corporal

I'm simply looking for a metric that would be more meaningful. For example, "points per life", or "average time per base cap". Something that would shed meaningful light on your ability to play planetside, rather than just K/D, which isn't realy a whole lot of use.
Old 2012-05-28, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
vampyro
Corporal

What if they made it to where the player had the option of showing or hiding their K/D ratio to the community. This way it doesnt take away from different play styles.
Old 2012-05-28, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by vampyro View Post
What if they made it to where the player had the option of showing or hiding their K/D ratio to the community. This way it doesnt take away from different play styles.
That wouldn't work, because the ones who show it will slam the ones who don't. You can't stop the epeen.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault