Gameplay: what about a "urban" type continent? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: TEH FUNNEY = NO!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

View Poll Results: Do you like this idea? (read post first please)
YES, i absolutely love this idea 82 76.64%
YES, i think it would be cool but i wouldn't play on it often 8 7.48%
NO OPINION 2 1.87%
NO, good idea but, not really a planetside type enviroment 11 10.28%
NO, this is not a good idea 4 3.74%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-05-13, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: what about a "urban" type continent?

Originally Posted by EZShot View Post
Think Higby said that Esamir will be have urban areas, small ruins under snow perhaps?
Pretty sure thats the plan.
Old 2012-05-14, 12:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Noivad
Master Sergeant

DCUO has city maps, and they are awesome. The detail is spectacular, and you could still have vehicle fighting in citys area. Open spaces would be parks, airfields, and under developed urban areas. Add some water areas like the City of Orlando Florida, and it would make the setting for some intense battles, especially, if light infantry can manuver around buildings with jet packs.

DUCO also has a feature where you can actually destroy structure, and I think that structure could be destroyed in PS2. Not sure, anyone have more info about that.

And there is nothing like the feeling of being in an aircraft that is zipping around building to avoid being killed, or chasing someone to kill. Better then zipping around trees.

I just hope that some of the trees on PS2 will be 300 feet high and are more diverse.
Old 2012-05-18, 06:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by EZShot View Post
Think Higby said that Esamir will be have urban areas, small ruins under snow perhaps?
I believe they referred to it as being primarily frozen urban ruins or something of the sort.
Old 2012-05-30, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
The Degenatron
Master Sergeant

I think one or two large urban sprawls per continent would be a good idea. The idea of Auraxis is that it is a colonized planet. You'd expect at least one major urban center per continent.

However, that's probably taking the lore a little too far. Having a continent or two that had at least one massive city would be more than enough.

Love the super-highway linking the cities idea that someone threw out.

A big thumbs up!

D-Gen
Old 2012-05-30, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Jinxsey
Corporal

It would be rather cool to fight through the streets of an abandoned pre-fab colony town/city.
Old 2012-06-01, 01:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
kunzadar
Corporal

Lots of people talk about how the big bases give urban combat already, but i disagree. The bases are mostly sprawled out, and have an organized layout. When i think large urban environment I think of vertical infantry game play. Lots of tall buildings that have catwalks connecting them, and holes an windows to the outside. It would allow for multiple kinds of play in the same space. With vehicles and heavy infantry fighting street by street , while light infantry move from building to building above them, and aircraft duke it out in the skys above that.
Old 2012-06-02, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
berzerkerking
Second Lieutenant

This could be very interesting. We could possibly have the city be an abandoned TR Colony from before the schism between the groups.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

I think this could be a smaller continent, kinda like how oshur (I think it was oshur, right?) was split into 4 smaller continents -- could have a smaller urban continent -- maybe instead of ~64km^2 make it like, 5x5km. I can also appreciate the aspect of rendering and all that stuff, but I think that's difficult for us as general players to speculate on (those of you with programming/whatever experience obviously have a much better idea about this than I do) so I say let's present the ideas and let SOE worry about the engine/mechanics/etc... side of things more.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

I would kill for the opportunity to play Planetside 2 in an urban environment, I'm thinking more of a grid based city that allows for battles within huge avenues and parks, something akin to NYC.

Urban battles in World of Tanks are always a lot of fun, and really emphasizes the need to outflank an enemy.

Flying a plane in an urban environment would be beyond awesome too, that's what I'm most interested in :P
Old 2012-06-04, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
SpcFarlen
First Sergeant

I think adding an urban continent would be nice in terms of immersion. They keep talking about "the civilians are tired of the TRs martial law" but where are the civilians? We are off fighting in this barren places and see no traces of civilization besides military and resource structures. So i think adding a more urban like continent would be an interesting idea.

Of course balancing it out would be a pain.
Old 2013-01-21, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
luketopian
Private

Since the games been out for a few months and everyone has played Planetside 2 a bit, I thought it would be a good idea to bring this thread back up. So here it is.

P.S. and be sure to read most of the posts.

Last edited by luketopian; 2013-01-21 at 12:20 PM.
Old 2013-01-21, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
RWJP
Private

I love the idea of a more urban style map.

The way i see it there are two real options:

1: Large urban areas within more open maps (plonk a city on to the plains of Indar for example) Big buildings, proper roads and not dirt tracks, big wide boulevards, open parks, massive highways.

2: Small inner-urban maps. Rather than a map representing a whole continent, this would be an Infantry and Flash only map representing the centre of a city. Narrow roads, tall buildings positioned close to each other, loads of catwalks. This would be a whole new dynamic for Planetside 2, and would really introduce some very different tactical options. Room to room combat would lead to very interesting Outfit play, including things like organised breaching teams.
Old 2013-01-22, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
HiroshiChugi
Captain

honestly,i think this urban-style continent would get rid of zerging COMPLETELY on this specific continent. zergs would have no way of forming ( except in warp gates) but after that, they will have no way of staying together in the city. i mean,they could,but, it would be like a military parade down the streets,and open targets everywhere.it would be a killing fest. hence,the death of the zerg in Planetside 2. at least,on this continent.
Old 2013-01-22, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
HiroshiChugi
Captain

also,instead of having a perfect city (not war-ravaged or damaged and such), have that war-ravaged,damaged building. kind of like how Europe looked like in WWII. burned out building, piles of rubble, and flipped over cars everywhere. makes sense, doesn't it?
Old 2013-01-22, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Canaris
Contributor
General

pffff who thinks Urban maps are a good idea? I'm mean really what kind of moron would advocate this idea since about 2004....... oh that's right me.

though it's been about 10 years now I'm starting to loose hope SOE will ever do it or at least not throw some second rate spelunking adventure and call it urban combat, yes they said CC was urban combat, I know cracked me up to at the time but it was a wheezing fit of annoyance

I would really, really & REALLY love to see proper urban environment and settings put into a continent.
So far I find all the small bases and even smaller outposts to be rather lacking of said urban warfare.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault