2 Quality of Life items for Pilots - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Anyone atually remember what the BFR original name was?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-08-29, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Humblefunk
Private

2 Quality of Life items for Pilots

Before I get into the two requests, I would like to state that I know the videos available on youtube are prior to the beta, thus things could have changed. I never played PS1 (wanted to, didnt have a credit card), but I am very interested in PS2 and want to fill the role of a pilot, maybe troop transport.

1) HUD remains aligned with the horizon - This is kind of disorienting for me. I'm not sure if this is because I have a number of hours in a real aircraft, or if other people sense this as well. It makes more sense to me to have the sides of the HUD remain aligned with the aircraft and have an indicator in the middle that always shows the horizon.

An example of what I have seen so far: http://www.twitch.tv/las0m/b/330391243

An example of what I would like to see:

Notice how in the second video the flight information remains aligned with the cockpit, yet there are parallel bars indicating the horizon.

I understand this comes down to a matter of preference, but I was curious if anyone else can give a valid argument for one way or the other in the context of the game (from previous experience with PS1 or alpha, NOT beta (NDA))

2) I am also very excited for the night fights. I think it is awesome how tracers fly through the sky and vehicles are identifiable by their headlights (instead of having to switch to infrared and have a boring red hued screen). That being said, it would be awesome if the cockpit lights could have a dimmer (or a day/night switch). From the videos I've seen the cockpit is very bright. This is awesome for day maps, especially those that are considerably brighter such as desert maps, but not as well suited for night. When quick, visual identification of an enemy (reliant upon recognition of their lights) can determine if you live or die, I think that a dimmer cockpit would definitely be beneficial to any pilot.

I appreciate the feedback.
Old 2012-08-29, 10:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Gugabalog
Major

Re: 2 Quality of Life items for Pilots

I like these ideas.
Old 2012-09-02, 03:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Phisionary
Corporal

Re: 2 Quality of Life items for Pilots

I don't see how the display in the second one is of any great advantage. The RL version seemed fairly confusing and a tad cluttered to me. In-game version feels mostly intuitive. Maybe I've just gotten used to it though. I'm not opposed to variations, though. I'm sure it could be improved.

Only thing I could add is, ingame fights are pretty fast. You can pull a 180 in a couple seconds. In a RL fighter jet at 500mph, you'd be hitting 15 Gees or so doing that. HUD should probably be designed with that responsiveness in mind.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault