Gameplay: Leap Jets - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the: Why do "Home of the" quotes always get accepted?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2014-09-21, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Palerion
Sergeant Major

Leap Jets

This is a suggestion to allow for these jets to be implemented without being broken; The idea may be old hat, but I've never heard this option discussed before.

I know this has probably been suggested a ton, but the idea of "leap-jets" that shoot you at a 45 degree angle up and forward would be pretty sweet. Though I've heard arguments against it that, much like Icarus Jets, it would mess up hitboxes. I assume this is because the server doesn't have time to predict the movement of the player; which is why I thought of this idea.

Perhaps if an ability like this could only be bound to another key, such as F (NOT the jump button), the server could prepare for it. By pressing the ability button, the player would first jump, during which time the server could calculate the movement provided by the leap/icarus jets, then the jets would activate and the player would be launched into the air in whichever direction (straight up or 45 degrees) their jets launch them.

I feel like this not only makes the abilities less instantaneous and somewhat more predictable (for example, if you see an LA just decide to jump up in the middle of your fight, you can have an idea that he's about to shoot off either up or over you), but it prevents the proverbial hitbox problem caused by the Icarus Jets back when they were still in the game.

Personally I've never thought the ability to sound overpowered so long as no bugs occur that make it so, such as this hitbox problem, and if something like this could iron it out, I think that would be awesome.

I'd like to point out that I'm no expert on servers and code and all that technical stuff. I've just heard that the inability for the server to predict the instantaneous movement is a problem, so I figured, let the ability give the server time to predict it. I'd love the option for this playstyle change for LA.
Old 2014-10-23, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
TommyZakh
Private

Re: Leap Jets

Sounds awesome!
Old 2014-10-23, 11:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
MichaelVM
Private

Sounds like a good way to close a gap more quickly for yourself during travel, though if used to get closer to an enemy you'd be locked in a straight line while in flight and while your accuracy would suffer due to the movement, your enemy would have a pretty good shot at you until you can land and recover.
Old 2015-03-05, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
iNuBe
Private

i find it an exelent idea my man i who love it if they add this
Old 2015-03-06, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ghost Runner
Staff Sergeant

Interesting Idea.
Old 2015-05-14, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Swov
Private

I've had this same idea for LA's since I first started playing the game. After watching the game trailer where the LA is using his jets very offensively I was very disappointed that you couldn't execute the same maneuvers in-game. I 100% support this concept, would definitely add a much needed gap closer for the LA class.

Alternatively, they could just add more horizontal acceleration to drifters instead of implementing a new jetpack altogether. If you could use drifters to rush doorways or close gaps like, I assume, you're supposed to be able to, that would be wild!

I assume that a jetpack that gives you a burst of speed like you suggest would have the potential to slam you into walls, similar to ejecting out of an ESF and hitting the side of a wall. I don't know if that would be a desired effect for the jets. ie should LA's use them cautiously or use them haphazardly?

Last edited by Swov; 2015-05-14 at 08:56 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault