What is this matrix system? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hey, I thought you were banned!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-04-24, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

What is this matrix system?

I have heard alot of people talking about this, what is it?
Old 2003-04-24, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Civilian
Contributor
Major

It's a stupid system that's being implemented to stop people from hacking undefended bases.

You can read about it here:

http://users2.ev1.net/~jasonsharp/index.html
Old 2003-04-24, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Seer
Major

No one said it was being implemented. I'm, personally, in favor of any change that causes the player base to fight more tenaciously over a smaller set of bases. This 'let's go hack empty base x where there is no resistance' stuff isn't exactly what you'd call exciting for either the attackers or the defenders. They made the world a little too big. I'm not saying the matrix is necessarily the only solution, but it would do the job of shrinking the world.
Old 2003-04-24, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Civilian
Contributor
Major

:sigh:

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin posted 04-23-2003 08:26 PM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a matrix system in tomorrow's patch. We put our own spin on it, of course.
Details coming tomorrow.
http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/b...ML/003862.html
Old 2003-04-24, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Jaged
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I did read a dev post saying it would be implimented today (thursday) in the patch tonight.

Ant that page you liked to is realy long. Could someone sum it up is a few scentences?
Old 2003-04-24, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Seer
Major

Oh, I hadn't seen that post.

Basically the point of the matrix system is to cause people to fight over fewer bases by making certain bases part of a matrix where you have to capture base x before progressing to base y. That idea is to have a tangible front line, larger scale battles, and eliminate the phantom hacker musical bases issue. Might work, might not--it's still beta, and musical bases is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed.
Old 2003-04-24, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Venoxile
Second Lieutenant

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin posted 04-23-2003 08:26 PM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a matrix system in tomorrow's patch. We put our own spin on it, of course.
Details coming tomorrow.

YES. I never thought it would happen, I thought that the devs would be too proud and arrogant to take someone elses brilliant idea. This will make the game 10x better in my opinion. It actually creates front lines like a real war, no more random base capturing.
Old 2003-04-24, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
gonnagetyou
First Lieutenant

I personally like the idea myself. I think you'll see a lot more action and team work. Not' that you don't see that now, but this time it will be a little more focused objective wise. It will be interesting to see what kind of spin the developers have placed on the idea.
Old 2003-04-24, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Gerico
Corporal

I think its a smashing idea, best thing yet, more action and big battles, less jumping around.

Old 2003-04-24, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Civilian
Contributor
Major

I want to wait and see what "spin" they have put on it before I make a proclamation one way or the other. As long as they add attrition, I will be ok. I just don't want to see the line never move.

Hopefully they will reduce the amount of time before a base changes hands after a hack.
Old 2003-04-24, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Seer
Major

Well, the problem right now is that bases change hands too often and on an entirely random basis. If the matrix system goes in and it is found that bases hardly ever change hands (I don't think that will happen, attackers are too tenacious and creative and defenders get sloppy after a while), then that will have to be rebalanced as well. The point is, it is working towards a solution.
Old 2003-04-24, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Venoxile
Second Lieutenant

You guys are forgetting, check out zoolooman's website, if you really read through the entire matrixing idea, there are all kinds of different ways to open more then 1 front line per continent.
Old 2003-04-24, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

From http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/b...ML/004257.html

SmokeJumper
Station Admin posted 04-24-2003 12:54 PM user search report post
Just in case anyone thinks we "caved to pressure" about the Matrix idea...you don't know us very well yet, if that's the case.
We will NEVER "cave to pressure" on this game. We only implement ideas if WE think they're a good idea.
The Continental Lattice is going in because it solves many serious gameplay/gameflow issues at once. I recommend trying it a bit before passing judgement upon it.

Granted...we recognized the idea as interesting when we saw folks post it on the forums, but we were actively pursuing solutions to the "phantom hacker" issue, the need for defense incentives, and the complete non-clarity of our facility abilities. We combined all three solutions into the Continental Lattice because it's elegant, obvious to players, and does a lot of what we originally wanted in the game.

We have yet to see an exact description of the Lattice we implemented on anyone's web page. It will probably *look* familiar, but there are subtle differences that have a large impact.
Old 2003-04-24, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

And from me:

All I can say is that I hope my reservations about the base matrices are either wrong or addressed by the "Dev's Spin" on what I consider to be a generally bad idea.
Old 2003-04-24, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Venoxile
Second Lieutenant

I think you're just mad because you're obviously a phantom hacking infil . (obvious because you have told us of your phantom hacking experiences)
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion