BFRs, The Stupidest thing since putting chainguns on a 4 wheeler? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: why are you looking at these?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-08-29, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
TheThunderChild
Private

BFRs, The Stupidest thing since putting chainguns on a 4 wheeler?

Does anyone else thing that the BFRs will ruin the game entireley? Just imagining a bunch of huge f***ing robots lumbering around spaming the entire place up pisses me off. I think they will completley destroy infantry battles just because of their terrain versatility. The only chance infantry may stand is in a densley wooded forest as far as i can tell. It pisses me off how they try to put mechwarrior into planetside the whole idea just looks dumb. They can fly, they can walk, they can jump, and they will have guns liabale to make swiss cheese out of an entire tech plant. Just seeing perlim screenshots of this has caused me to consider leaving the game all together when they come into action. I get the feeling that there will be no way to effectivey take out a BFR unless you have 50+ troops/mixed vechs or another BFR, hence making this a fight between mechs, and the only place for infantry to fight is in dense woods. Think of it this way: a few infantrymen see a tank while htey are on higher ground (a steep hill prefreably), a few pull out AV weapons and fire on it, maybe they kill it maybe they don't point being, they can retreat, however the tank is liable to have made a few shots on them and possibly killed them. But, the tank usually cannot charge after them. However infantrymen on higher ground vs a BFR are more or less screwed becuase of their capabalities to jump, and more than likley will tear after them and kill them. And the thought of 12 of these things on a battle feild shooting at ecother makes me wonder, why be an infantry man, when one of these things looks like it will take out 50+ troops with ease, be able to tear through tanks and flails because of their superior movement capabalites (jump and circle a slower tank) etc etc... I guess the way i see it is like a reaver, that is far more versitale when fighting ground units (planes dont look like they will stand much a chance against the TR and VS mechs), and has far better weapons.

ok i am done talking, i just want to know does anyone else think a 30 foot robot would ruin a battle entireley?

please say im not alone

Last edited by TheThunderChild; 2004-08-29 at 10:02 PM.
Old 2004-08-29, 10:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
duomaxwl
Captain

alone you are
Old 2004-08-29, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Spee
Colonel

Rock/paper/scissors balance. I have a feeling BFR weapons wont be that good of an AI platform, given thats its function is anti-tank.

A squad or so of infantry can own a bfr. So, no, its no as bad as you think.

Recharge timer is 2 hours.

So, your fears are baseless.
Old 2004-08-29, 10:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
TheThunderChild
Private

recharge time of 2 hours??!? that helps

however does anyone know how large these will be? the larger the lamer as far as im concerned.

i suppose if there was a battle of 100+ on each side and there were say 2 or 3 bfrs on either side it would be cool but i just dont know about this whole idea

also, this is just a ploy to make more money off of CC correct?
Old 2004-08-29, 10:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Phaden
Contributor
Major

20 Meters, small enough to fit under the catwalks.
Old 2004-08-29, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
TheThunderChild
Private

oh thats cool i guess, although that means they will be able to navigate through trees :-/

what if ther eis a crew of like 12 of these things we are screwed.

-i also think they are all ugly, the VS one looks ok but the buzz lightyear color shceme has to go
Old 2004-08-29, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
EarlyDawn
Major General

Question, how are they gonna fit under the catwalks without getting stuck on those blast wall things?
Old 2004-08-29, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
TheThunderChild
Private

i dont know they look like htey will barley fit under cat walks if htey do now that i compare them to trees etc...

it looks more like they will be like slightly taller than a catwalk, enough to see what is on teh cat walk
Old 2004-08-29, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by EarlyDawn
Question, how are they gonna fit under the catwalks without getting stuck on those blast wall things?
Does it really matter, if they can fly?
Old 2004-08-29, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
TheThunderChild
Private

i am skerd of teh mechs
Old 2004-08-29, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Nalar
Corporal

Im not exactly sure where you got the 2 hour recharge timer info from (if you have a source, please link it) but I know that they did say it would have a LONG recharge timer.

I think it will be rare to see more then 2 of these things every few hours. And besides, as was mentioned earlier: everything in this game is based on a rock/paper/scissor balance. The BFRs are designed mostly as anti-tank vehicles so they probably wont be that effective against infantry. This by NO means implies that it wont be able to kill you and infact if you came up against one of these things alone then you will probably die extremely quickly, however a good organized squad could probably take down one of these things.

Besides, you cant tell me that as soon one of these things is spotted it wont have a massive target painted on it by every single infantry and tank in the base SOI. Im sure everyone will probably just drop whatever they are shooting at and starting hitting the BFR making for a very dead BFR very quickly.
Old 2004-08-29, 10:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
SkunkPunk
Major

newb.. it will be fine, 10 cert points, needs 6 people to gun, 2 hour respawn time, gotta do that cavern shit, sure at the beggining everyone and there 3rd testicle will have it certed but after time passes people will settle down

Master Of The Shunk //LOL! // [LD.] // Email // {Coming to Planetside Soon, Beware}
Old 2004-08-29, 10:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

also, you know that even the heaviest tanks we have at the moment can be taken out by a single infantry using AP and with enough time on his/her time.

I mean when in battle it can take quite a long time, and it takes time to turn and flee to a repair silo. and i suspect it will take more then 3 canister of a combat engineer to fix a BFR, probably like 6 and it will be really slow, meaning more then one CE to fix a BFR fast, that is if the Air Cav (who can turn and AB away fast to your air towers) who doesn't kill the CE's in a rocket spam of death, or keeping biting at the BFR where it has no where to hide, except at the warpgate...

Suddenly BFR don't seem so invincible...

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2004-08-29 at 10:34 PM.
Old 2004-08-29, 10:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
TheThunderChild
Private

where do you get this information may i ask? do you have anything to prove that, becuase most of it seems belivable, you know until the 6 gunners and the 10 cert points (10 cert points is unbelivable i you would have to nearly devote a player to being a mech driver). As for 2 hour respawn time, that would make me happy, however it seems a bit too long i dont know if the devs would do that. If anyone has proof of information on spawn time, size, cost, crew numbers, etc please post.
Old 2004-08-29, 10:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
TheThunderChild
Private

that is true, they wont have many places to hide. However there are a lot of open plains etc that are usually untouched. I know this because i usually use these spots to repair my planes while remaning undistrubed. And if these things have multiple gun crews then if 2 of them have engineering repairing these shouldnt be much of a problem.

--although on the subject of tanks being taken out by infantry, tanks are much slower and cannot always chase after their attackers (unless the attacker is down right stupid and is shooting at them on level ground). However these bird/robot things look like they will be able to go right after their attackers. The only way i see for inf to take these out is with coordinated attacks (i.e. surrounding them so that they remain under fire even if they go after one attacker). I hope to god that these things are clumsy otherwise they will be like unstoppable

Last edited by TheThunderChild; 2004-08-29 at 10:39 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion