So other companies don't announce Beta dates? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now with a Fan Fiction board!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-03, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Fafnir
Sergeant

Re: So other companies don't announce Beta dates?

Originally Posted by Dart View Post
Based on what?
Quoting Josh Hackney:

We’re currently in Internal Closed Beta which includes daily team playtests, tons of optimizations, lots of bug fixing, polishing game mechanics... you get the idea.
There may be more testers than dev team, perhaps their families and friends got invites. In other words: beta started already, we just have to wait until next phase.
Old 2012-07-03, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Shocktor
Private

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
I have seen a couple of clues, I believe beta has already started and we just havent been invited yet.
It has not... and from the sounds of things, they are continuing internal testing. So that announcement last week was ... inaccurate.
Old 2012-07-03, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Brusi
Contributor
Major

I heard all soe staff were in...

And first platoon/recon or whatever it's called...

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2

Last edited by Brusi; 2012-07-03 at 09:41 AM.
Old 2012-07-03, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Stardouser
Colonel

This thread would be a lot more awesome if people could find at least 10 multiplayer shooters or games that are close to shooters in the past 5 years that announced their beta dates, along with source of evidence.

However, they have been SO very open about their plans for the game that even if we can show that secret beta dates aren't as prevalent as Radarx claims, I don't think they deserve to catch too much flak over this. All it really proves is he used that as an off the cuff justification, whereas they probably just don't want to piss people off by saying it will be on a certain day and then unforeseeable delays force them not to meet that date.

Compared to a company like DICE that develops games in a cloak and dagger fashion and won't say anything about their plans, in a way, we ARE in beta, but a beta of the mind, where they dialogue to an extent with us about the game, even though we aren't playing it. So, while I think this is a good thread to keep people occupied as they go off to research gaming history to see if they can find a history of beta dates being announced, just don't expect that finding such proof should actually change anything.
Old 2012-07-03, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I think the first wave of beta invites has gone out and here is why I think so,
EvilPig said he talked to Higby..
I saw a quote about stress testing servers and they said soe had over a hundred players on at the same time, Im thinking they said 127 player to be exact.
I always thought that the first wave of beta invites would be limited to about a hundred people which coincides with the formation of the first platoon. Im pretty sure we have heard from a couple of sources that platoon size could be up to a hundred people.
So imho first platoon is doing targeted beta testing.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-07-03, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Could I point out that they actually started talking about Beta timeframes back in March?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03...-beta-in-summ/

I saw a quote about stress testing servers and they said soe had over a hundred players on at the same time, Im thinking they said 127 player to be exact.
I always thought that the first wave of beta invites would be limited to about a hundred people which coincides with the formation of the first platoon. Im pretty sure we have heard from a couple of sources that platoon size could be up to a hundred people.
Unfortunately almost all of this is inaccurate I'm afraid. We'll certainly provide information when we can about it. It's sooner than most people believe.
Old 2012-07-03, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
The Degenatron
Master Sergeant

"All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing. Adventure, heh! Excitement, heh! A Jedi craves not these things."

"You will know... when you are calm, at peace, passive."
Old 2012-07-03, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Rat
First Sergeant

They have always said that things would happen when its ready. If a hard date is set we could end up with a beta that isnt ready, I can only imagine the daily setbacks and adjustments they make with the small group they have testing now, if it was opened to full beta now it would most likely be a complete cluster fuck. Imagine the nerd rage..I vote for being patient.
Old 2012-07-03, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Lorgarn
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
Could I point out that they actually started talking about Beta timeframes back in March?

Unfortunately almost all of this is inaccurate I'm afraid. We'll certainly provide information when we can about it. It's sooner than most people believe.
Thanks for the response, I guess.

Though you'd have to understand if some of us don't quite share your optimism anymore. Bring it on!

Last edited by Lorgarn; 2012-07-03 at 09:49 AM.
Old 2012-07-03, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Dart
Second Lieutenant

I'll say one more time, and trust me on this, the current beta is internal only. You aren't missing out. I'm sue you will all hear about it when it does. These Chinese whispers do not help the community.

And fafnir, i don't count internal soe testing. We're talking about when the community get in.
Old 2012-07-03, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Fafnir
Sergeant

So, it's sooner rather than soon? Thanks Radar for clarifying that.
Old 2012-07-03, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Thank you radarx. Love hearing from you.
Old 2012-07-03, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Dart
Second Lieutenant

In fact rather than calling out SOE, I'd like to publicly thank Matt, Tony, T-Ray and co for being so forthcoming and accessible with the fans.
Old 2012-07-03, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Shocktor
Private

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post

I had forgotten about this... well played RadarX, well played. They gave ambiguous dates -- and still missed the target! So, back to your original point as to why companies don't announce Beta dates.......

And as for the second thing you said: Sooner than we think?? I was thinking we would get invites today... so it's going to be sooner than that?
Old 2012-07-03, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Krawanan
Corporal

Originally Posted by Otleaz View Post
Nah, if there was a closed beta there would be leaked footage somewhere.
Not true, people are really carefull, for the 4 months the firefall beta was on, there wasn't a single picture or video leaked

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion