News: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We stoled your smart!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > Community > Player Introductions

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-03, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: Jimmy Whisenhunt AMA

Originally Posted by Anderz View Post
Hi Jimmy, two questions:
What are your thoughts on the gun-play and player handling of the Battlefield series? Specifically, the difference between BF2/2142 and BC2/BF3.

I've never been able to really put into words why I find the former generation of Battlefield games more satisfying than the second. Maybe you could help me out there, or maybe you think differently!

Also, what are your thoughts on the recent FPS trend of offering weapon unlocks and upgrades? (i.e. New scopes, rails, foregrips, ammo types etc.) Do you feel they can be successfully balanced in a game like PS2?

Personally, I miss the simplicity of older FPS games where you knew exactly what it was your enemy had equipped, and you were therefore evenly matched.

Thanks for doing this AMA!
I second these questions and especially want to know what you think of no skill aiming aids like 3D spotting.

And to anyone that might point out he's only a gun guy, so what, it's still a factor that removes skill from the game.
Old 2012-07-03, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Name one multiplayer FPS where someone holding W + M1 would reliably do better than an intelligently played vet utilizing the same equipment.

The problem with calling types of play 'intelligent' is that what is a sound tactic and what is not differs greatly from game to game. Smart tactics in ArmaII would be completely worthless tactics in Tribes 2, and vice versa.

Bursting and recoil control, as such, are intelligent moves only if the game penalizes them. Not all games do so, including games that are considered highly skill based.

Oh, and regarding your remark on 'Watered down' fps mechanics of modern shooters.. Have you considered the idea that they're not, in fact, watered down, and instead just not what you prefer? Have you considered as well the idea that some may consider mechanics you prefer 'needlessly obtuse'?
Agreed!
I think a great comparison is normal weapons Unreal Tournament (1st one, I guess quake is the same) vs instagib UT. Both require a completely different skillset. Normal weapons requires a ton of knowledge about the map (weapons, powers up etc) and when to use what happen and how to use each weapon effectively. vs instagib which is much less about knowledge and more about raw skill. Both have 'high skill' gameplay, just in a completely different way. Doesn't mean one is inferior to the other, but a matter of taste. (I love the intensity of instagib!)

Don't like where this guy will take combat, it'll turn into this mini-game making it way too complex detracting from the overall experience of the 'war' that is planetside. Veteran players will probably dominate 'noobs' simply because they know how to handle the guns better, knowledge gained simply from experience. Which will scare new players away.

Games are meant to be fun, most gamers aren't professionals and gaming shouldn't be a second job, where you need to work your ass off to be able to play it properly.

Last edited by I SandRock; 2012-07-03 at 04:33 PM.
Old 2012-07-03, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
Nick
Corporal

How do you feel about the gunplay in DoD and DoD:S?
Old 2012-07-03, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
SavageB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by whisenhunt View Post
Subd!!!

I was also on the Pro Scene for 2 years with DFI Motherboards , Lan party series. Played in CPL's, Cal I etc. Was a sad time when CPL fell apart by there own doing.
Old 2012-07-03, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by I SandRock View Post
Agreed!
I think a great comparison is normal weapons Unreal Tournament (1st one, I guess quake is the same) vs instagib UT. Both require a completely different skillset. Normal weapons requires a ton of knowledge about the map (weapons, powers up etc) and when to use what happen and how to use each weapon effectively. vs instagib which is much less about knowledge and more about raw skill. Both have 'high skill' gameplay, just in a completely different way. Doesn't mean one is inferior to the other, but a matter of taste. (I love the intensity of instagib!)

Don't like where this guy will take combat, it'll turn into this mini-game making it way too complex detracting from the overall experience of the 'war' that is planetside. Veteran players will probably dominate 'noobs' simply because they know how to handle the guns better, knowledge gained simply from experience. Which will scare new players away.

Games are meant to be fun, most gamers aren't professionals and gaming shouldn't be a second job, where you need to work your ass off to be able to play it properly.
Exactly. I'm going to be working, fighting, and I'll have classes, and I'm super excited about planetside. I'll still put hardcore time in, but there are so many who won't be able or want to meet the "high skill ceiling".

Thank god I'll hit it with talent :P. I'm not banking on a game with 1000's of people to be all that balanced or serious. Then again, my claim to fame isn't years of planetside, to be fair.
Old 2012-07-03, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
LordReaver
First Sergeant

The CS community is down voting his video due to anger of him "leaving". I find it amazing society tolerates shit like that.
Old 2012-07-03, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

Votes matter!

Twitter | Dragon Wolves
Old 2012-07-03, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #113
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by LordReaver View Post
The CS community is down voting his video due to anger of him "leaving". I find it amazing society tolerates shit like that.
ahhh welcome to the internet..

Im assuming you mean the dislikes on YT?

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-07-03, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #114
LordReaver
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
ahhh welcome to the internet..

Im assuming you mean the dislikes on YT?
Thank you, but I've been here for a while..

I was implying to go get some counter votes in, since it was rather disproportional to the likes. Lots of videos on YT get out of control down votes, simply because people vote for what everybody else is voting for. Ever been to metacritic??
Old 2012-07-04, 03:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #115
Notturno
Private

For anyone who didn't catch it, Whisenhunt said he couldn't get his video answers fort he AMA finished. He said he would try to get the answers up by Thursday evening.

[Source]
Old 2012-07-10, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #116
Espion
Staff Sergeant

Dunno if you're still answering questions, or if you could even answer this one, but was SOE interested in hiring 2gd before you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...oOMKf0#t=5087s

Everyone should watch the whole video since it's fucking great imo, but that part (for ~30s after the start time) was interesting since it sounded a bit like how Higby talks about PS2 at times, then shortly after the video aired you were hired.

For those that don't know who 2gd is this might seem a bit irrelevant, but if true it would show just how much ambition they have for pushing PS2 as a spectator platform or esport somehow (a lot)

Last edited by Espion; 2012-07-10 at 10:23 AM.
Old 2012-07-24, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #117
GTGD
First Sergeant

He probably isn't still doing this but I figure it's worth asking. How would you have balanced the lasher in PS1?
Old 2012-07-25, 01:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #118
Shadowrath
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Welcome to the addiction that we call PSU

| cyberneticpunks.com - Hostile Takeovers - Liquidation - No Survivors
| Join the new face of the old guard.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-07-28, 11:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #119
whisenhunt
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Deckura View Post
Do you think the the game live up to the hype?
Yes :O

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Seeing what you say, and having researched your background, im now convinced that you are propably the best that could have happened to ps2.
Higby, damn good hire.
Just one thing dude: make sure you represent the tr as much as higby and T represent the other two. And grab graywolfes as your support. ;-)
Done! And thanks!

Originally Posted by Anderz View Post
Hi Jimmy, two questions:
What are your thoughts on the gun-play and player handling of the Battlefield series? Specifically, the difference between BF2/2142 and BC2/BF3.

I've never been able to really put into words why I find the former generation of Battlefield games more satisfying than the second. Maybe you could help me out there, or maybe you think differently!

Also, what are your thoughts on the recent FPS trend of offering weapon unlocks and upgrades? (i.e. New scopes, rails, foregrips, ammo types etc.) Do you feel they can be successfully balanced in a game like PS2?

Personally, I miss the simplicity of older FPS games where you knew exactly what it was your enemy had equipped, and you were therefore evenly matched.

Thanks for doing this AMA!
I'll just tackle the unlock part.

I don't like the idea that you have huge trains of unlocks to finally get that ONE thing you want... I.E.: All I want is a foregrip, however I have to unlock 23590283 things that I'll never use to reach this equipment...

Also I find that the additional upgrades for weapons shouldn't increase the weapons overall capability, they should improve the way YOU play the game dependent on your play style in a noticeable way, rather than tiny increments.

So yes, I think it can be balanced much better than what we've seen.

Originally Posted by Winfernal View Post
Hey, Jimmy! It's nice to have you as one of the devs.

You just won my gamer-heart with this quote, btw.

And my question to you, is:

Do you think PS2 HAVE to strive to get the 'perfect balance' between weapons/vehicles? Where everything is perfect, and nothing is concidered "OP". And if so, is it possible?
Anything is possible, however nothing is perfect...

I think there is a much more acceptable balance than what we've seen in most recent games involving infantry + air + ground vehicle play, and we're determined to have it.

Originally Posted by Traenor View Post
Hello Jimmy, and welcome to the forums. Hope you didnt got too many scars from the other thread!

Anyways, here are my questions.
1: Since you were hired to improve gunplay, does it mean that SOE feel they have achieved interesting tactical choices about which areas to attack? (Since this is an MMOFPS, choices regarding focus on areas are more important, since you cant do everything like en classic FPS´s.)
2: Do you feel some specific qualities are missing from PS2 as it is now in regards to gunplay? Specific styles, choices, etc.
3: Now that you will work as a PS2 designer, how do you feel about stopping doing what you currently do? (Cast, play and stuff)
1. The game we're designing can't help but to have interesting choices to be made constantly when attacking every bit of the map due to the sheer size and possibilities, I feel strongly that it will only get more and more interesting seeing how players use the things we've created to their advantage... To me this is the most fun part

2. There's lots to cover here, all I can say is that there will be changes, and that's what makes this hard to cover in depth.

3: Great question, it's hard... I grew up with the CS community. I plan to continue casting and playing in multiple games along with working at SOE. Also there are plans to start some PS2 related media projects, so the future looks good!

Originally Posted by InsaneLampshade View Post
I'm interested to hear your opinion on why you preferred CS 1.6 to source. I imagine you've probably answered this in-depth somewhere in the past, feel free to link to a video/blog post! (I failed at finding one ).

Also, ever play zombie escape in cs?
I switched to source when it first came out but never really 'felt it'...

I had the feeling from the first day that it couldn't quite scratch the itch I had for consistent, crisp and analog play that I first got when playing the original Tribes, Quake, UT and CS.

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Boxers or briefs?

Sorry, wrong decade.

Since you have experience in both low TTK games with fewer players per map such as CS, as well as high TTK games with more players like in the original Planetside, what is your opinion on what TTK's need to be like to work in Planetside 2? Do you think that anything will have to be sacrificed from the gunplay feeling of 1 vs 1 fights in order to make sure 200 vs 200 fights feel right, or do you think it's a non issue?

Good to have you on board. I look forward to seeing your contributions as the game continues to evolve.
In regards to what the TTK needs, it all comes down to feel, which is impossible to test without a great load of people... Which we will have a chance for soon

Originally Posted by Vydofnir View Post
I'm not generally big on online games because I often feel obligated to play a specific way in order to stand even the slightest chance. The commitment to player customization is one of the main reasons I'm excited to play PS2. With regard to weapon customization, sidegrades, certifications, and playstyle, how much freedom do you expect players to ultimately have while remaining at least somewhat competitive?
I believe that any change you want to make is your decision.

If I had a penny for every time I hear 'that will never work' in regards to a particular strategy my team was running or something I tried in an RTS or FPS load out... I could buy a few six packs.

Professional FPS commentator, retired 13 year competitive FPS gamer.

PlanetSide 2 Game Designer.

Twitter: @JimmyWhis

Last edited by whisenhunt; 2012-07-28 at 11:21 PM.
Old 2012-07-29, 03:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #120
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Good read, I like your approach on balance and freedom of the players, I wish you luck when you fight with the marketing guys over some of those values

PlanetSide Universe > Community > Player Introductions