The sound of your doom... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: A spammy part of a balanced breakfast!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Loud or Quiet?
Let them know who's kicking down the door! 23 95.83%
Sound is distracting, hard to aim with all that racket. 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-22, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
JanitOr KanOs
Private

The sound of your doom...

I sorta got used to the fact that sounds ignored walls in PS1. You knew the TR was attacking when you never heard the end of a chain-gun. Or the constant thumping of NC shotties. And the unending pulse of Lashers. The sounds followed you no matter where you were in a base, there was no escape.

Anyone else want the sound effects to tell you who's about to kill you? Or should things go to a more StarCraft 2 way where the sounds are so quiet and lame that you don't really notice them anymore?

Last edited by JanitOr KanOs; 2011-07-22 at 04:52 PM.
Old 2011-07-22, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Re: The sound of your doom...

Sound is the most important thing in a FPS. You can only see so much, but the sound of a gun tells you where exactly stuff is going on. I tried playing FPS games without sound, but i figured that i just cant, because i completly lack the situational awareness then.
Old 2011-07-22, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Sound is part of psychological warfare. But PS1's sound was ridiculously useless most of the time. Hopefully PS2 puts more effort into it.

Old 2011-07-22, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
MgFalcon
Captain

HOLY FUCK GTFO!!

Someone just launched an Orbital Strike!
Old 2011-07-22, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
DxC
Sergeant

Funny enough I play with headphones as I can hear the beep of a Boomer or a click of a amp coming at me etc need to go on when I'm Sniping or such things... it helps but yea I do Agree the sound was needed and other times its not so much

Also the Tail tell of the diffrent guns did help other than the Killspam showing TR or NC etc not thats a give away... and out of all the gunfire sounds you sometimes Will hear the suppressor firing... next time there's a huge base fight listen out for it! you will be supprised :P
Old 2011-07-22, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
DashRev
Private

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
Sound is part of psychological warfare. But PS1's sound was ridiculously useless most of the time. Hopefully PS2 puts more effort into it.
Eh, I don't think you give the PS1 sounds enough credit. You could pretty easily tell how many enemies are on the other side of the door and what weapons they were using. You can hear whether the engine of the tank parked outside is running or not. You can distinguish the type of MAX unit by the sound of its projectiles.

I could often hear an aircraft criss-crossing above or below me even when I couldn't see it on radar, and even tell the difference between a Reaver engine or a Liberator.
Old 2011-07-22, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Whoknowswhat1
Corporal

Misc Info

I think it would be very useful to include upgraded noises in planetside2. The
sounds in ps weren't bad, but they weren't very clear either.Yes you could tell which gun was which, but you could barely tell what vehicles were coming (only difference between air/land). On top of that the sound quality was very low

Mess with the best, Die like the rest
Old 2011-07-22, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Have you guys seen, or rather heard, any of the BF3 alpha stuff? Glorious sounds.

PS1 had decent audio for its day but overall it wasn't spectacular. Things are a little bit crude, especially from a positional audio standpoint.
I also always thought many guns were a little too *pew-pew*.

I'm not to concerned about it going into PS2, it's going to be passable, but probably not spectacular.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-07-22, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bags
Lieutenant General

Sounds were fine in SC2 and PS1. I'm sure they'll be fine PS2.

And yes, the whole reason I switched from NC to TR was the MCG's noise.
Old 2011-07-23, 12:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
Have you guys seen, or rather heard, any of the BF3 alpha stuff? Glorious sounds.

PS1 had decent audio for its day but overall it wasn't spectacular. Things are a little bit crude, especially from a positional audio standpoint.
I also always thought many guns were a little too *pew-pew*.

I'm not to concerned about it going into PS2, it's going to be passable, but probably not spectacular.
The problem with BF3 is the amount of reverb, the reverb from a pistol sounds about as loud as the fricking shot itself. Even fighting out in a huge field is like having a war in a subway tunnel, plus even the assault rifles are about as loud as a 30mm autocannon. They are really 'Hollywood' style sounds, sound nice but aren't all the good for actual tactical gameplay due to the spam of effects and I doubt they would be great in a game like Planetside 2 with 1000 players seeing as all those nice HQ sounds are resource hogs, but the level of audio quality is something PS2 should be aiming for.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-23, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Sound is the most important thing in a FPS. You can only see so much, but the sound of a gun tells you where exactly stuff is going on. I tried playing FPS games without sound, but i figured that i just cant, because i completly lack the situational awareness then.
This. I use sound like sonar, it's incredibly valuable and important to get right in the game.
Old 2011-07-23, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
razor851
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Unrealistically good hearing abilities is what makes PlanetSide so fucking good.

Join the PlanetSide Steam Group!
Old 2011-07-23, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
QFFT

Think we should pray that they have learned that dynamic 3d sound is very important in fps, if they could make it half as good as it is in bfbc2 that would in itself be a major improvement.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion